Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 13:00   #346
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
Is there any news on the launch date for Gravitas? I am considering Harrier AT right now, however keen to evaluate the Gravitas too. If it will be launched in near future, say April, then I may be tempted to pick up Gravitas as it offers flexibility of 2 additional seats and some extra features.

However if Gravitas will be launched anytime later than April-May then it will be too late for me. So if any of the fellow BHPian has any useful insight then it will help my decision i.e. whether to wait for Gravitas or go ahead with Harrier.
I guess Tata had a complete shift in strategy regarding the Gravitas and Harrier.

They released the Gravitas teaser in Nov 19 with much fanfare along with a microsite for the Gravitas saying it is coming in february.

But in February they just showed the car in the expo without any clarity on features and launch dates. The microsite has also not been updated much. Just the picture has been changed.

Team-bhp user ram87pune had also suggested Gravitas may be launched just before or along with automatic Harrier.

I guess after all the updates they may have found Harrier to have higher potential as a package and want to give the new Harrier a headstart of at least 3-4 months. Also the threat of the new XUV 500 is now distant.

I think it will not be launched before July/August 2020 maybe by then they will be able to solve for the panoramic sun roof on the Gravitas as well.

Last edited by rkv_hunter : 25th February 2020 at 13:01. Reason: formation
rkv_hunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 07:16   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Song View Post
From my perspective, When compared with Harrier, It would be a great buy for those who wants a (occasional) 6/7 seater with larger boot space (with 3rd row folded) + an optional AWD - It would hit bulls eye and would make it a great package.@TATA's hope you are listening ?
Totally agree with you. Optional AWD would have been a great feature to have. Not having this was a major disappointment for me.

Tata should realize that with the Chinese invasion (in British uniforms) happening in the SUV space, Tata's need to go the extra length to gain market share.

The Harrier got hit by the, Seltos, Baoujin 500 (Sorry, refuse to call this an MG Product), etc. Now with the Haval and other crop of 7-Seaters coming into the market, Gravitas with an AWD Option would have made a difference and also legitimized their claim to the the Land Rover heritage.

Frankly Tata's never had the hunger to compete. They are happy scraping the bottom for the bits left over. So, this doesn't really surprise me.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 15:03   #348
BHPian

I really feel for the Gravitas to succeed and be differentiated from the Harrier, it must come with an all independent suspension at the back as against the twisted beam in the Harrier. Also, the mighty Land Rover all wheel drive in top variants would enhance its desirability factor multi-folds.
v.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 15:31   #349
Senior - BHPian

Tata Gravitas SUV spied for the first time after relaxing lockdown

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting12.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting2.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting11.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting3.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting9.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitaspetroldieselsuvstartstesting4.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-gravit...-12362683.html
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 06:40   #350
BANNED

Rookie here, first post.

In the title of this recently uploaded video it says XM variant (2nd from bottom) whilst unlike the BS4 Harrier XM it lacks steering mounted controls!

Appears more like the base XE variant to me. But then, the base BS4 Harrier XE didn't get any ICE display whilst this one appears to have one....not to mention those wheels.

Are the test mules just random testbeds with no connotations to future variants or are they close iterations of preproduction models?
watchoutankit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 23:52   #351
Senior - BHPian

Gravitas spotted testing in Pune

https://twitter.com/MotorBeam/status...708110337?s=09
Old 5th July 2020, 08:50   #352
BHPian

Both the video and the Spyshots above show a near complete external apperance with finalized body panels and interiors. This for me indicate that the product is in the final stages of release preparation.
I feel in this market of SUVs and even 7 Seaters, product differentiation is very important and Optional AWD will be a great talking point for Gravitas compared to other competitors.
It should not be very difficult when they have the technical knowhow or to borrow the same from their JLR experts.
swarnava.ch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 09:24   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutankit View Post
....not to mention those wheels.
Hmm, they don't look expressly good do they? Remember the pressed steel wheels from the Safari/Storme and Duster on lower trim models? They used to look so good (for the price) that no owner really went and invested in changing to alloys. Gone are the good old days I guess. These wheels are nowhere as well finished - at least on this test mule. Maybe going by the trend - the production car will simply come with black painted rims with plastic wheel caps in the end.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th July 2020 at 09:50. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 5th July 2020, 10:08   #354
BHPian

As a 5 seater urban runabout, I get that the Creta makes more sense because of it's compact dimensions but as a 7 seater, Creta loses to Harrier's 7 seater version. Gravitas would be bigger, butch in looks and more apt from mechanical perspective as well, as it is based on a much better and bigger platform.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 10:46   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hmm, they don't look expressly good do they? Remember the pressed steel wheels from the Safari/Storme and Duster on lower trim models? They used to look so good (for the price) that no owner really went and invested in changing to alloys. Gone are the good old days I guess. These wheels are nowhere as well finished - at least on this test mule. Maybe going by the trend - the production car will simply come with black painted rims with plastic wheel caps in the end.
You will find that most test cars including luxury cars will have such unfinished steel wheels. There are a couple of reasons for this - One, not to attract attention, the test car's wheels look like that of a taxi, so higher chance of people giving it a pass. Second, not to reveal the ultimate alloy wheel pattern. which can be a competitive differentiation. Yet another reasons is that the sourcing, design and build of alloy wheels happens late in the cycle, usually it is happening in parallel to the testing, so they are not available for the test car. The vehicles are never offered in the market with such ugly bare wheels even in base trims, there is usually a wheel cover that mimics and alloy wheel that is affixed to even the most basic variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutankit View Post
I feel in this market of SUVs and even 7 Seaters, product differentiation is very important and Optional AWD will be a great talking point for Gravitas compared to other competitors.
Sadly, I don't believe the current Harrier platform is designed to take on an 4WD system and transmission.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th July 2020 at 11:27. Reason: Typo
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 12:54   #356
BANNED

Quote:
These wheels are nowhere as well finished - at least on this test mule. Maybe going by the trend - the production car will simply come with black painted rims with plastic wheel caps in the end.
I don't think those uglies are ever going to grace the rolls of a flagship ever....any variant whatsoever.

Quote:
As a 5 seater urban runabout, I get that the Creta makes more sense because of it's compact dimensions but as a 7 seater, Creta loses to Harrier's 7 seater version. Gravitas would be bigger, butch in looks and more apt from mechanical perspective as well, as it is based on a much better and bigger platform.
Exactly, compact/subcompact SUVs seems to be a prudent choice for the urban folk as a frequent commuter (not for me though). But, on the contrary, in the 7 seater MPV/SUV category space & comfort assume prime bias (plus looks & presence with decent dynamics & mechanicals if some were to ask me).

That's where I feel Gravitas trumps Creta 7 seater which will (plausibly) have MPVish looks with MPVish dynamics. For me, Creta7, Brezza7 (?), Seltos7 (?) Hector Plus, XUV 500 (BS6), Scorpio 2.0, Hexa BS6 etc won't be a worthy competition to the Gravitas (for various genuine & petty reasons).

Few years down the line, when Gravitas will (probably) get the infamous TATA 2.0 retouch (sunroof, AWD(?) with a price hike, then the real heat imo will come from the likes of:
> MG Gloster (if priced in Compass territory)
> Compass 7 seater (if not overpriced)
> XUV 2021- (200 hp),
> Tata Safari 2.0 (strong speculations)
> Santa FE XL (??)

That would be the best time to buy a 7 seater SUV I guess. For now, for me, Gravitas is poor man's Endeavor & will be coming home this Diwali

Quote:
Yet another reasons is that the sourcing, design and build of alloy wheels happens late in the cycle, usually it is happening in parallel to the testing, so they are not available for the test car. The vehicles are never offered in the market with such ugly bare wheels even in base trims
Didn't knew. Thanks for the info.

Btw any update regarding exact launch date/month & the variant lay out? Am craving now for few scoops-whoops (ram87pune , RavenAvi??)...lol
watchoutankit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:15   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata's 7 seat SUV spied in Coimbatore.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-107076103_3570191896342757_5271537490838017444_o.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-106928700_3570945542934059_8818995420552208626_o750x375.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-106160313_3570616759633604_1033279523853685711_o750x375.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:36   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata's 7 seat SUV spied in Coimbatore.

Link
This was asked in some other thread I think. Why are people still spying on cars that were completely revealed during the auto expo, unless there is any new discovery of a previously unknown feature.

This seems more like the companies attempt at keeping the interest alive while the launch is delayed.
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:29   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
This seems more like the companies attempt at keeping the interest alive while the launch is delayed.
Companies run tests of literally 1000s of kms with various differences in the drivetrain, engine output etc. and the final product will end up being an amalgamation of all the inferences from these tests. Although the vehicle has been revealed, these tests will continue for a long time, including after the launch. The test prototypes start out with camouflage and continue to remain so. Nothing about maintaining customer interest here.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 17:19   #360
BANNED

Came across this truly pessimistic news stating that Gravitas' launch could be pushed next year (2021) .Can't believe this given that the Hector Plus was launched yesterday!

If true, it would be a real downer for me given that half of the year is still left & I was looking forward to get one around Diwali.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tim...outbreak/67268
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks