Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 13:08   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

I think the Harrier has the road presence of the Safari. The Gravitas will only improve on it.

Safari name is apt in my view. They just let the name Gravitas float around for too long. But the codenames are limited to enthusiasts, an average buyer will never have heard Gravitas.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:12   #482
BHPian

Quote:
New Tata Safari could get 4x4 in the future
In more encouraging news for Safari loyalists, Chandra also stated the company’s Land Rover-derived Omega architecture – which the new Tata Safari is based on –is designed to incorporate a four-wheel-drive system, hinting at a possible 4x4 variant of the new Safari that may be launched at a later date.

“Omega architecture will allow us further enhancements such as 4WD and also possibilities of electrification in the future. There are 2-3 options and routes that we’re exploring for this. We’ll do some consumer research before kicking off that kind of project”, said Chandra, when asked about a potential 4x4 version of the new Safari.
Source: Autocar

Typical Tata. If you are resurrecting an iconic badge like the Safari, the 4x4 should be available at launch.
MadTitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:18   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am not sure how I am feeling about this, I feel cheated.

Tata has taken away the anticipation of waiting for a New Safari, they can't call this bigger Harrier Safari just like this, not done.
I am disappointed.

Safari is my dream vehicle, since it was first launched. I haven't owned one, but have driven lot many of those, even the LHD ones on controlled test tracks. Can't let those memories be distorted by Harrier disguising as Safari.

Harrier can't be Safari. I need those proportions, distinct identity and that wheel on tailgate.

# Can't Reclaim Life with an Imposter

Last edited by AutoNoob : 6th January 2021 at 13:21.
AutoNoob is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:18   #484
BHPian

Excellent! A legendary tag which is associated with a BOF 4X4 SUV now will be seen on a FWD monocoque.

I wonder what stuff brands are smoking these days and sincerely hope that it doesn't reach my college.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:22   #485
BHPian

While it's heartening to see the Safari name return, I feel Tata is trying to be cheeky here. A safari with no 4x4 option and no ruggedly connect is not really a Safari. I feel they are playing the emotion game here to garner interest and sales.

Do they want to play the Thar game, but they can't as Gravitas is no Safari, unless they pull the rabbit out and get atleast AWD if not low range 4x4 on this one at launch.

Yes the silhouette now seems Safari inspired, the tagline can be inspiring, but this will just be like the king of the jungle ad turning out to be a camo colour scheme only.

I am happy that Safari names lives on but I am disappointed because I would want Safari to stand for what it used to be always.

But in hindsight, how many Safaris sold were actually 4x4. May be for us TBhpians Safari is all about that, for general public, it's just an emotional name, which Tamo has all the right to use.
justwheels is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:29   #486
BHPian

From H7X to Buzzard to Gravitas to now Safari. Tata really seems to be listless with this car in terms of positioning and branding. However given the trend I'm hoping that actual product will put all these discussions to an end and pricing is kept realistic keeping in mind the upcoming competition in the market in this segment.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:43   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

How many would have actually ran to showroom with Cheque books dangling if it had a 4X4 on launch. My guess will be maybe 5-10% of the total bookings it will receive. Which in real life numbers would hardly be anything.

It's tough times and an iconic name if it gets the interest of public, so be it. My memory of Safari is a huge dash, felt like sitting inside a cockpit of the plane, must be long long time back when I had just started college. Things evolve, people evolve, products evolve. 7 Seater with a competent engine, and with Harrier V2 already proven in the market, this is the best thing Tata could have done. We might actually get a near niggle free product from V1 itself, that is a befitting tribute to a legendary name.
AtheK is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:46   #488
BHPian

Same old mistake. Launching products in a haste without evaluating the odds. I mean haven't they learnt from not launching the automatic transmissions that they're on to this blunder now. Safari deserves to be their flagship product but not by just adding a row to the Harrier.
Old 6th January 2021, 13:49   #489
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, has TML published the tech specs which categorically state that the "Safari" won't have 4x4 or AT variants, or are we just assuming? Asking here as I am not on Twitter or Instagram.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th January 2021 at 14:16.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:53   #490
Senior - BHPian

Well, the market's matured since then. How many of us would have bought the Thar back then? And look at the sales now, it's through the roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
But in hindsight, how many Safaris sold were actually 4x4. May be for us TBhpians Safari is all about that, for general public, it's just an emotional name, which Tamo has all the right to use.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:07   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Well, the market's matured since then. How many of us would have bought the Thar back then? And look at the sales now, it's through the roof
I agree the market has matured and I would have loved Safari to have those credentials at launch anyday. Yes Thar sales have gone off the roof, but even there how many Thars will see 4x4 relevant offroad. People wanted a bada$$ vehicle and Thar solves for that at a palatable price (including mine).

Guess Safari will have a slightly different customer base to target hence 4x4 might not be a deal breaker for the common man. For us TBhpians, ofcourse not.

Heck even the Fortuner Legender has been launched with no 4x4 option. So may be Tamo is trying to bank on people who would buy the brandname for a good macho SUV even without 4x4. Its our love for Safari that our image of that brandname is slightly skewed from market. I just hope this one lives upto the hype.
justwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:16   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
This is great. Even though it is not a true Safari replacement at the moment, they will have the motivation to get that AWD as soon as possible now.
Its been 1.5 years since the Gravitas was displayed at Geneva. If it has evolved into the Safari since then and they are using the reclaim tag maybe they managed to fill in the blanks too or may be quite close to. I am feeling very optimistic today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Excellent! A legendary tag which is associated with a BOF 4X4 SUV now will be seen on a FWD monocoque.
The Defender is as a monocoque and so is every Land Rover which all started as BOF

Monocoque was simply the best solution for Defender, says Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
How many would have actually ran to showroom with Cheque books dangling if it had a 4X4 on launch.
Its not just about the number of people buying it but the image of the SUV.

Last edited by nainan : 6th January 2021 at 14:37.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:22   #493
BHPian

Mods: maybe rename the thread again: "Edit 2: Renamed Safari"
GrandTourer is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:31   #494
BHPian

If Tata Gravitas becomes Tata Safari then what was "Tata Hexa Safari version" showcased earlier?

And if Tata Hexa doesn't get Safari badging, do we assume that Hexa is not coming back in any avatar?
rocketfinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:37   #495
BHPian

This is a very welcome news. Gravitas was not an interesting name to start with.

I have been planning to upgrade to SUV since Jan 2020 and had almost booked Harrier AT in March 2020. However due to pandemic deferred the plan. Now I am actively looking for a 7 seater. Gravitas (Safari) and XUV500 are on my shortlist.

With name changing to Safari, Tata has triggered the right emotions at the right time. Safari not having 4x4 doesn't bother me at all as I don't need 4x4. Also, it doesn't matter whether original Safari sold in high numbers or not. What matters is that Safari will be extended Harrier, which itself has matured in 2020 and has a competent AT box.

I have never owned or driven Safari till date. I have just seen it on the roads and seen the iconic brand getting established. I have not experienced the Safari legacy, in a positive or a negative way. So for people like me and possibly generation younger, Safari is a strong brand name. I am sure there will be significant portion of potential buyer in the same situation. So Tata is right (and clever too) to cash on these emotional connects and target buyers like me. If I decide to own a Harrier based 7 seater, I will be much more happy with name Safari than Gravitas.

For those passionate for 4x4, Tata has said that they will be working on it. So hope is not lost!

Looking forward for the official reveal on 26th Jan.

Last edited by varman742 : 6th January 2021 at 14:42.
varman742 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed