Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 11:05   #601
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Call me ignorant but I wouldn't want to spend 25 big ones on a car and then spend time explaining family that it's the same name but a different car.
Then buy the base variant

There is nothing to explain really. If the family knows the old Safari, they will know at first glance that this is a different and more premium car.
pseudo_coder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:07   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post

It addressed the primary complaints about the Safari namely weight, older platform, turning radius and dated looks.
A small correction, the storme was very easy to drive. It had a very decent turning radius of 5.4 meters which is the same as a ciaz.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:20   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
'New Safari', are you serious TATA? What is the correlation?

I don't think people will accept bloated up Harrier as 'New Safari'.

Old safari was rugged 'Body on frame', 'Rear wheel drive', Capable four wheel drive with low transfer ratio whereas Gravitas is FWD, monocoque and only front wheel drive.
"'New Defender', are you serious Land Rover? What is the correlation?

I don't think people will accept bloated up Discovery as 'New Defender'.

Old Defender was rugged 'Body on frame', 'Rear wheel drive'

It seems, it is Land Rover's desperate and pathetic marketing strategy to milk out heritage of old Defender to sell New Defender but it won't bring numbers to them because people know what Defender is and there are plenty.... "

Just filled in the blanks if you will. Majority of the sales of even the older Safari were 2 wheel drive's and that includes Scorpio as well so much so that they needed to be ordered on special requests. You couldnt just walk into a showroom and walk out with a brand new Safari 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
'
If Mahindra can revamp old Scorpio, why you can not Tata?
No they havent. It still has the same basic shape inside out including the same rain gutter channels from 18 year back!

Yes it will now tell you that "You have entered into your Scorpio, please fasten seat belt" and "Scorpio" badging at 100 places inside and outside but it doesnt change the fact that its old and dynamically challenged and not every efficient or good to drive.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th January 2021 at 11:23.
extreme_torque is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:25   #604
BHPian

Ok. So now we know Gravitas has been renamed to Safari. And many people are complaining, many are happy.

I am the one from the happy brigade, was looking to buy Harrier once the pandemic is somewhat under control. I was looking for a time frame of around March.

Now, knowing that its Safari, I don't mind spending another 1 lakh for th brand itself. It was my childhood dream but couldn't afford at that time, chose to close existing home loan, then bought another house.

Now with both things taken care of, I can spend some money on myself. I know its better than its previous iteration in every way. And I get to own a brand that I always wanted.

Now, let's move this discussion towards a positive side.

What is it that it is already different from Harrier and what further changes can be done to make that differentiation?

Any suggestions?
turbo_delight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:25   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
perhaps that explains why the safari was more stable and did not buck as much.
Perhaps the chassis matters too and intended use - one is derived from Mercedes , other one is from Jeep - no prizes for guessing which one is more comfortable. Scorpio is designed to be more personal yet utilitarian vehicle, towing, 9 seater etc and Safari was a more luxurious vehicle with more attention to the exteriors, interiors, dual AC, premium sound system, acoustic designed interiors among many others.

Surprisingly enough neither of them car makers have an answer to Seltos \ Creta yet, much like when it was just Duster once upon a time.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:35   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie chirps and confirms 2 features for the Safari/Gravitas:-

- Electronic Parking Brake
- Panoramic Sunroof
RavenAvi is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:42   #607
BHPian

In my opinion Gravitas needed something different than Harrier to be called Safari. Don't know if there is any last minute grill job being done to differentiate Safari, wish there is!
7 seats length etc are all good but the grill / front facia needed to be different.
busydrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:50   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- Panoramic Sunroof
This makes me quite happy! I was under the impression the stepped roof didn't allow for a pano sunroof. I remember reading that on one of these threads.

I know this rebranding has ruffled quite a few feathers, but I am personally quite thrilled. I have never owned a Safari, and am looking at 5/7 seaters for my next ride sometime next year. For now the premature list was the new XUV 500 and the Harrier, but this just shot up to the top.

My wish list for the Safari were Harrier features + good GNCAP results + pano sunroof (thought this wasn't possible). C'mon Tata!
Coyote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:54   #609
BHPian

Slightly off topic.
Here Skoda has named their new SUV KUSHAQ (Sanskrit) - King.

Superb marketing and presentation of the new name.

I see another legend in the making with the Kushaq.
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:05   #610
BHPian

I am glad Tata went with the Safari monicker. Wish it was always the intent. They need to differentiate the front fascia from the Harrier. Is it even possible so late? If the front looks anything like the Gravitas we saw initially then it's just a variation on the harrier. That would be unfair on the Safari legacy.
This is why they needed to introduce the Safari first and then get in the Harrier now. A mini Safari with a new name feels more acceptable than a bigger Harrier called a Safari. Anyways, water under the brdge. I.am in the market to replace my car the Safari was always a childhood dream.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:19   #611
BHPian

Quote:

- Panoramic Sunroof
Do you have any info if the front design is altered to look it different than the Harrier ? Or in any near future?
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:55   #612
BHPian

Quote:

- Panoramic Sunroof
Will it come with EPS as mentioned in the youtube channel of Motoroctane?
Old 8th January 2021, 14:44   #613
BHPian

Wishlist for the New Safari:

1. Three point seatbelt for the middle passenger. What's the point in having the widest back seat if the 5th occupant isn't safe?

2. EPS: Almost everyone complains of the steering being heavy at low speed and too sensitive at high speed.

3. Connected car: voice control and all may be gimmicks, but ability to cool the car remotely is a very useful feature.

4. NCAP Rating at launch: Nothing less than 5 star. This can be THE standout feature to differentiate it from the Hectors and XUV.

5. Better head unit. I don't understand this trend of giving wide screens. Biggest use of the screen is for navigation. You want to see the road ahead, not 50 meters on either side.
Old 8th January 2021, 14:54   #614
BHPian

Bingo from Tata!. Great move !.

Safari is their own. They have not stolen the name from someone else. Whether it is an afterthought or whatever, how does it matter?

Safari and the Scorpio rule Indian SUV hearts. The Scorpio is still going strong. The Safari is back in a new avatar.

Bottomline is that they are not introducing a puny hatch or a teeny weeny hatch on stilts car as a Safari. This is a gigantic SUV. Even bigger than the Harrier, which itself is imposing with a great road presence !.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 16:00   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Will it come with EPS as mentioned in the Youtube channel of Motoroctane?
Nope.

Birdie says it will continue with the Hydraulic Power Steering, same as the Harrier, but claimed to be much improved in it's feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Do you have any info if the front design is altered to look it different than the Harrier ? Or in any near future?
Will get back on this.

Also, the Safari/Gravitas is claimed to come with additional safety features, over and above what all are offered with the Harrier.

Shall update more as I receive them.
RavenAvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed