Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 00:44   #661
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Back when the Harrier was launched, I sure did think why did they not just name it 'Safari' since it already had such a value in the Indian Market. But the new name did create a different image and did not bring any of the 'old' Tata image. Over here, I personally feel this decision should have been made much earlier itself. Now all this negative and positive talk is merely happening because the name of a capable SUV was just changed overnight in public perception. But, does this 7 seater SUV have all the credentials to take over the legacy? I sure feel yes! It's a great on-road vehicle and seems to be decently capable on some off-road scenarios too. Got a great stance, good engine, comfort, ride quality and more. All I personally see missing is the mighty tail-gate mounted Spare wheel that I really loved in the initial Safari.

I agree with everyone regarding the importance of pricing it well and also giving it a good dosage of features to keep it alive in the gadget-oriented market. End of the day, personally, I like the Safari brand and feel the Gravitas does look capable to keep up the value of the name at least on on paper. Looking forward to see how it turns out in real life.

Last edited by freakmuzik : 10th January 2021 at 00:45.
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 02:57   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
a more responsive touchscreen
From what I understand, Tata uses the same HU from Tiago to Harrier. If that's true, I can confirm that Tata has fixed the slow Android Auto issue in a November 2020 update. Not sure if the same fix is available for the other models or if it's actually even the same HU though.
SuhairZain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 07:14   #663
BHPian

I somehow feel they have to be very competitive about pricing from MG. Resurrecting the brand Safari is one part, gaining back the Safari lovers is second but if TATA really wants to have the rising outreach, it boils down to gimmick features at a good price point.

Though I am not the one who falls in the category of going for gimmick stuff buf sadly thats what I have observed in the Harrier vs Hector race.

I certainly felt the Harrier was a common man's land rover and at such a price the value for money was amazing. Dint turn out that way. Sales are decent but cant match hector. People need 'Hello MG and open the sunroof' not 14 esp modes 🙄🙄
Old 10th January 2021, 08:23   #664
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivedyanm View Post
I certainly felt the Harrier was a common man's land rover and at such a price the value for money was amazing. Dint turn out that way. Sales are decent but cant match hector. People need 'Hello MG and open the sunroof' not 14 esp modes 🙄🙄
While that might be an accurate assessment of the market, I think we should also factor in MG having both petrol and diesel, a 7 seater and a lower sticker price. By that comparison, Tata doesn't have a product that caters to such a wide range of consumers. What could have worked against MG was its Chinese roots (which they managed to mask well by hiding behind MG's British Heritage) and the fact that it was a completely new player, which could have deterred people because of unknown reliability and sparse dealer network. The latter part took me by surprise too; I thought the average Indian Car buyer was relatively brand conscious and would not trust an unproven new player especially when plonking 15+ big ones, but boy was I wrong

Last edited by rpm : 10th January 2021 at 08:35.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 08:33   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
While that might be an accurate assessment of the market, I think we should also factor in MG having both petrol and diesel, a 7 seater and a lower sticker price. By that comparison, Tata doesn't have a product that caters to such a wide range of consumers. What could have worked against MG was its Chinese roots (which they managed to mask well by hiding behind MG's British Heritage) and the fact that it was a completely new player, which could have deterred people because of unknown reliability and sparse dealer network. The latter part took me by surprise too; I thought the Indian Car buyer was relatively brand conscious and would not trust an unproven new player especially when plonking 15+ big ones, but boy was I wrong
While I do agree to your points.
We are discussing the 7 seater here as well, plan for a Harrier petrol already disclosed by Tata. But given these points do you still feel that it will give a sales jump? I doubt it. My underlying point still remains the gimmick stuff. I remember there was a trend few years back people went crazy over chrom over their vehicles.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2021 at 10:11. Reason: edited
Old 10th January 2021, 09:19   #666
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
While I do agree to your points.
We are discussing the 7 seater here as well, plan for a Harrier petrol already disclosed by Tata. But given these points do you still feel that it will give a sales jump? I doubt it. My underlying point still remains the gimmick stuff. I remember there was a trend few years back people went crazy over chrom over their vehicles...
I'm hopeful . Harrier already sells pretty decently with just diesel, not more than Hector and hector plus combined, sure, but I think that the Harrier and Gravitas combo with both petrol and diesel mills on offer will overtake the Hector and Hector+. The real threat is the upcoming XUV 500 and the Creta 7 seater, which might make Tata's lead over MG a short lived one. And yes, I know of the Chrome trend
rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 10:02   #667
Senior - BHPian

Harrier is for the well heeled. The common man's Land Rover is the Nexon. MG scores in the marketing and sales departments. In spite of superb products, Tata loses customers at the showrooms. You just have to visit a dealership to see what I mean
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 10:27   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
I'm hopeful . Harrier already sells pretty decently with just diesel, not more than Hector and hector plus combined, sure, but I think that the Harrier and Gravitas combo with both petrol and diesel mills on offer will overtake the Hector and Hector+. The real threat is the upcoming XUV 500 and the Creta 7 seater, which might make Tata's lead over MG a short lived one. And yes, I know of the Chrome trend
Exactly my thoughts, with the older Nexon comprehensively beating the much hyped & very well received Kia Sonet in Dec 2020 sales! It is very possible for the Harrier, imo to quickly bridge the gap of ~1000 odd units with Hector once the petrol automatic is introduced on the Harrier. The numbers speak for themselves, Petrol version accounts for more than half of Hector sales (as it offers the only automatic option), Harrier just needs to join the buffet & the tickets aren't steep either with the petrol DCT on the Hector being a bit underwhelming.

The diesel btw has always been the Harrier's stomping ground (immensely helped by the introduction of the BS6 Diesel automatic) & the fact that Harrier's automatic has been the segment best for the past 1 year means the Hector/Hector+ combo will have its task cut out against the Harrier/Safari duo when they decide to foray in the diesel auto domain.

But the real heat will come from the XUV 500 2021 & the Alcazar (Creta 5+2) comin' in hot on Safari's tail. Per the leaks & rumours, it seems the former is gonna be loaded to the gills with a few segment firsts while the latter will have everything in place from the get go itself. Probably a niggly XUV 500 2021 may offer the Safari some respite in its early days but TATA will have to up the game to acquire & retain any significant market share in the long term.
Predator_ONE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 11:03   #669
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_ONE View Post
Exactly my thoughts, with the older Nexon comprehensively beating the much hyped & very well received Kia Sonet in Dec 2020 sales! It is very possible for the Harrier, imo to quickly bridge the gap of ~1000 odd units with Hector once the petrol automatic is introduced on the Harrier. The numbers speak for themselves, Petrol version accounts for more than half of Hector sales (as it offers the only automatic option), Harrier just needs to join the buffet & the tickets aren't steep either with the petrol DCT on the Hector being a bit underwhelming.

The diesel btw has always been the Harrier's stomping ground (immensely helped by the introduction of the BS6 Diesel automatic) & the fact that Harrier's automatic has been the segment best for the past 1 year means the Hector/Hector+ combo will have its task cut out against the Harrier/Safari duo when they decide to foray in the diesel auto domain.

But the real heat will come from the XUV 500 2021 & the Alcazar (Creta 5+2) comin' in hot on Safari's tail. Per the leaks & rumours, it seems the former is gonna be loaded to the gills with a few segment firsts while the latter will have everything in place from the get go itself. Probably a niggly XUV 500 2021 may offer the Safari some respite in its early days but TATA will have to up the game to acquire & retain any significant market share in the long term.
You just worded what I was thinking in a more articulate, concrete and structured way with a thorough research on the sales numbers to back you up. Now my post looks obsolete and a watered down version of yours Nicely put together
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:39   #670
BHPian

Im wondering about the price where the Safari slots in.

Name:  Screen Shot 20210110 at 12.36.05 PM.png
Views: 3900
Size:  86.0 KB
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:53   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

Attachment 2105706
15 - 21 max 22 would be the only room that they have IMHO. The lower variants have to be better kitted to differentiate from the Harrier so slightly pricier. Given that for the Harrier top-end they have gone no holds barred and I suspect used some of the kit like the Kryotec 170 already it would be tough placing a bigger differential in price as then they get into Tucson territory which is not seeing many buyers or even the Innova Crysta which it will no doubt be compared with given the lack of a 4WD/AWD does look similar on paper. Oh I wish they had gone a little easy on Harrier's initial pricing they would have gotten a ton of room and enough differentiation.
nainan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 14:19   #672

Quote:

Attachment 2105706
I think for what's on offer, a sticker b/w the Harrier & Innova Crysta seems about right i.e. 1.0 to 1.5 L over the Harrier across the variants seems fair enough. Therefore, say an introductory price of say 14.99 L for the Safari base model to 21.5 L for the top end variant would put it approximately 1L (19.0 - 18 L) to 3L (28.5 - 25.5 L) cheaper than the Innova (on road Delhi).

Therefore it means there will be ~ 2L price difference b/w the Safari & the Crysta for most of the relevant (mid spec) variants (on road Delhi) & if anything to go by the leaks & rumours regarding what will be offered on the Safari (eg. a sunroof & additional hardware alingwith other improvements over the already improved Harrier) Safari doesn't seems to be too bad an option for what it offers along with that nameplate.

If a ~ 2L price difference b/w the Crysta & the Safari seems unjustifiable, then remember the same will apply for the upcoming XUV 2021 too. Infact, imo things will actually become really interesting when the new XUV 2021 arrives with all its rumoured bling & gadgetry with an anticipated VFM price tag that will put the two (Safari & XUV 2021) real close.

P. S. I may be wrong in my assumptions, only time will tell....
Predator_ONE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 14:39   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2105706
MG Hector & Hector Plus diesel variants are priced over Harrier. Please update this chart.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 14:50   #674
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Just confirmed from my sources that Tata is working on giving a sunroof to the Gravitas(Safari).

All the rumors of alleged panoramic sunroof are false since Tata or for that matter any manufacturer cannot fit a panoramic sunroof on a car which has a stepped roof. Best you can do is have a dual glass roof option like we have on the X7 and the Carnival.

So Gravitas(Safari) will get just a normal sunroof. But its highly likely that Tata may miss the bus by not being ready with the sunroof equipped variant before 26th January. So if that does happen then we can expect a sunroof equipped variant at a later date but most definitely this year. Likely timeframe being Q2.

So all those who want to purchase this SUV may want to hold off for a few months so that initial bugs will be sorted as well as a sunroof will be made available.
ram87pune is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 15:06   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.
So all those who want to purchase this SUV may want to hold off for a few months so that initial bugs will be sorted as well as a sunroof will be made available.
Oh come on Tata. I also read your update in Altroz thread. One has to learn from Tata about how to miss the bus with every potential product. Tata from their 2019 Harrier experience knew very well that autobox and sunroof are very important features for the mass market. And these two models are not brand new vehicles rather derivatives from the existing ones. This is totally a failure from Tata and combine this with lacklustre attitude and marketing from their dealers and soon to be launched XUV500 with few segment firsts, I am concerned about both Gravitas and Altroz sales.
gopi_rm is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks