Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 17:15   #676
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

But its highly likely that Tata may miss the bus by not being ready with the sunroof equipped variant before 26th January. So if that does happen then we can expect a sunroof equipped variant at a later date but most definitely this year. Likely timeframe being Q2.

So all those who want to purchase this SUV may want to hold off for a few months so that initial bugs will be sorted as well as a sunroof will be made available.
Wow.. Tata just managed a hit wicket. If anyone wants how to loose ground, they should learn from them.

Tell me why somebody should not pick XUV 5OO.

Now, I am convinced that naming to Safari was just a last minute change. All those release videos about carrying
on the legacy of Safari were pure lies. All are after thoughts.

Its not that everyone need that panaromic runroof but definitely does not look like they gave their 100%

The "Safari" badging deserved more effort.

Last edited by turbo_delight : 10th January 2021 at 17:37. Reason: Add
turbo_delight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:11   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians.

Just confirmed from my sources that Tata is working on giving a sunroof to the Gravitas(Safari).

So Gravitas(Safari) will get just a normal sunroof. But its highly likely that Tata may miss the bus by not being ready with the sunroof equipped variant before 26th January. So if that does happen then we can expect a sunroof equipped variant at a later date but most definitely this year. Likely timeframe being Q2.

So all those who want to purchase this SUV may want to hold off for a few months so that initial bugs will be sorted as well as a sunroof will be made available.
No wonder why I didn't get any response from them
IMHO, just renaming product will definitely not help them. I don't know what and who is suggesting them such strategies.
Come on TATA !!!
Safari is my childhood dream and like others even I was thinking to replace it with my 7 year old Honda City but now it seems I have to hold my plan for atleast one more year.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-screenshot_20210110175956_twitter.jpg  

akshay386 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 18:59   #678
Senior - BHPian

The new Safari is based on the Harrier platform which is well sorted with most of the teething problems having been addressed. It should be a trouble free vehicle, as unlike the Harrier, Tata Motors has taken its time in launching it and it is not a rushed launch.

The only common thing between the New Safari and the earlier one is the name. Though an Iconic nameplate, the Safari didn't sell all that well. It has a devoted band of followers, who appreciate its toughness, the sense of space, its commanding seating position and the
abuse friendly suspension. However, very few 4WD Safaris were sold to the retail buyer. Most buyers don't use their SUV's for off-roading. Most people demand creature comforts in their SUV's these days. The new Safari should meet all those requirements.

While sunroofs score very high on the list of must have features, the Fortuner continues to sell well without having one. It will lose some customers to the new XUV 500 and the Hector+ for sure. Having said that, you can never have the perfect vehicle. A lot of features can be added post the launch. An automatic transmission is a must have and the New Safari will have that from day 1. Petrol engine will take some time, but most big SUV's offer only Diesel powerplants. Even when offered, the Diesel variants account for bulk of the sales.
rajneeesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 19:26   #679
BHPian

Quote:
What are the features that would be exclusive to the Safari?
Will Tata introduce TPMS, ventilated seats, 360 camera w/front parking sensors? Also is the connected car platform coming?
Old 10th January 2021, 19:28   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post

Its not that everyone need that panaromic runroof but definitely does not look like they gave their 100%

Not giving a pano-roof on a 18 L plus car is like committing hara-kiri. More so when XUV500 will have it. I'm sure big success of new Creta over Seltos is mainly due to pano-roof. Creta is the first under 20L car with this feature and now everyone wants to look at the sky from inside the car. . You will be surprised how big of a hit it is with kids and womenfolk. I say even hatchbacks and sedans should try to squeeze it in. If I were a car-maker, that would be the first feature I would throw in.

Gravitas (nee Safari) has to have a pano-roof, proper AT, ACC, all-LED front and back lights, 360 degree view etc. to sell.
pgsagar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:04   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Gravitas (nee Safari) has to have a pano-roof, proper AT, ACC, all-LED front and back lights, 360 degree view etc. to sell.
I dont think a panoramic sunroof can be done with a stepped roof. So with that into consideration expect a standard sunroof it at all it comes down the line.
Mr.U is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:05   #682
Senior - BHPian

It is possible to have a split sunroof like in the case of the Discovery 4. It had two sunroofs. One for the front seats and then the second stage for the stepped roof that extended up to the third row. Discovery 5 did away with a stepped roof and created the illusion of a stepped roof through some intelligent design elements. Tata could have thought something like that if they had no plans for a split sunroof.

Lack of sunroof is going to be a deal-breaker for many. XUV500 and Creta 7 seater will definitely have it. On the other hand, if they manage to implement the split roof like Disco 4, that will be an even better differentiation. They can even advertise it as a feature.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 00:20   #683
S2K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You will be surprised how big of a hit it is with kids and womenfolk. I say even hatchbacks and sedans should try to squeeze it in. If I were a car-maker, that would be the first feature I would throw in.
You are so right about this.

In my extended family, I have two uncles looking for a vehicle with sunroof as a no-compromise criteria as their kids are demanding for it. Kids aged 6 and 10 respectively.
And I am having a very hard convincing the lot of them to not base their decision on sunroof and even, better yet, to avoid it due to safety concerns. But to no avail

For my female friends, the colour of the vehicle still seem to be the first criteria though. The first question from most of my female friends when told about my new car is the colour and then the make and model
S2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 00:32   #684
BHPian

Here we go again, with the sunroof and other gimmicks.

Tata should just cut some corners a’la Hyundai (considering the recent threads), and sign a 20 year deal with some sunroof manufacturer in China and get done with it. Plonk it all the way from the Tiago to Safari.

Saw 3 kids sticking out of a sunroof from a Honda city today on WEH. Too bad I was in the last lane or I would’ve captured the nonsense on dash-cam. I find it amusing that people are ready to pay for gimmicks while compromising on safety and design but not the other way around.

And fire Pratap Bose and the safety team while they’re at it. Save a whole lot of cash and start offering air purifiers and what not. Who cares about design and safety?

And let’s stop comparing the “Safari” to the Cretas & Seltos. It’s an even bigger farce than comparing the “Safari” to, well, the Safari.
TROOPER is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 00:58   #685
BHPian

While i am happy about the launch of the vehicle, it does not need the show off and teasers as if its a brand new design and platform.

After all its an extended harrier, what so special for a teaser or first look. Get an aggressive price point, and TATA should win simply.
Old 11th January 2021, 02:44   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Save a whole lot of cash and start offering air purifiers and what not.
I wouldn't just dismiss things many people nowadays expect from a car at that price point. No need to bash on a 20-25 lakh rupee car buyer if he/she wants premium audio, air purifiers, panoramic roofs and luxurious trims + color options. Every manufacturer has shortcomings.
hortons15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 05:08   #687
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Let me clarify this for everyone regarding the infotainment units in Tata cars:

All Tata cars since the Zest, except the Harrier(& probably Gravitas/Safari), have the Harman’s touch-screen infotainment units.

The connected Car technology introduced in the Nexon-facelift will eventually come to other Tata cars like the Altroz. The altroz-turbo leaks have pretty much confirmed this. Not sure when it will come to Harrier & new Safari.

Tata is allegedly not very happy with the overall performance of infotainment unit in Harrier, so there is already a plan in place to develop next-generation infotainment units with better/faster user experience, ranging from 8 to 12 inches screen sizes, along with 10 inch instrument cluster screens, to compete with the new larger infotainment systems from other companies in India(Hyundai-Kia, MG etc). These would probably be launched in a phased manner starting from the 2022 festive season (or beginning of 2023 if you add the usual extra delays in Tata launches to be safe). So the bling part is already being taken care of.

Regarding the pricing of Harrier vs Hector, if you compare apples to apples, the Harrier diesel prices are on par with Hector diesel. The price range of Harrier “seems” pricey because the automatic is available only on diesel in Harrier, whereas the Hector only gets automatic in the petrol variant. But having an automatic in the diesel is a good differentiating factor for the Harrier.

Once they cross the ₹22 Lakhs ex-showroom price barrier, there are no significant volumes as seen in case of the Jeep compass or the Hyundai Tucson. If Tata can launch the new Safari at a premium of upto ₹1.5 lakhs from the Harrier, with a step-up in features like all-wheel disc-brakes, electronic parking brake, bigger 18 inch alloys, a usable third row of seats, (& possibly Connected car tech) in the Rs.15 - 22 lakhs range, then the new Safari should do good volumes (more than 1000 units per month, in addition to the Harrier). They should also probably skip the base XE variant in the new Safari/gravitas as it is a flagship vehicle.

IMHO, Other things like TPMS, air purifier, front parking sensors etc can be/are being made available as Accessories or can be bought separately after-market even on Amazon for good price.

Hector sales have increased by around 1000 units per month after the introduction of third-row seats in the plus variant. Similarly it will help the Safari too if Tata launches it with both 6 & 7 seat variants at a time. Talk about MG waiting till Jan 2021, just to introduce the 7 seater variant of Hector-plus.
Napalm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:07   #688
BHPian

Here is my wish list for the New Safari

Automatic transmission
4X4
Lockable differential
Big 18-20 inch wheels
Offroad / AT tyres
All-round saftey gizmos.
Sunroof/Panaromic roof (optional)
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:57   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Tata is allegedly not very happy with the overall performance of infotainment unit in Harrier, so there is already a plan in place to develop next-generation infotainment units with better/faster user experience - These would probably be launched in a phased manner starting from the 2022 festive season (or beginning of 2023 if you add the usual extra delays in Tata launches to be safe)
In this time, Infotainment would have moved to another level. Can't understand why it would take so long to replace the infotainment system, it should take 3-6 months with a good collaborator. It is time TATA learns the meaning of AGILE. Hyundai and Kia bring whole new generations of cars in 2-3 years.
Old 11th January 2021, 13:37   #690
BHPian

Happy New Year All!

I sat in the Safari Dicor as well as Storme only few times and for Gravitas to be the new Safari it should have a fusion of traditional as well as the new elements:
- Comfort: At par with the "Sofa" seat of old Safari
- Seats: Should ooze luxury (the stitching pattern, bolstering can do wonders)
- Power and Torque: Best in class and usable in city traffic as well as highway
- Cabin: Luxurious, quiet, feature rich with some traditional element, like silver garnished handles, soft dashboard, soft door pads, etc.
- AC: quiet and very effective
- Ride: balance between stiffness and comfort (Not sure how they will get it with torsion beam, it will be icing on cake if they move to independent suspension in the rear)
- Ambience: Multi color mood lighting, good layout, good arm rest, sunroof/pano roof, classy lights inside and outside, striking and luxurious colors like Black, Deep Blue, Blackish Maroon, different alloys
- Brakes: All wheel larger size discs
- Safety: Standard for all variants (ABS, Airbags, ESP, TC, Hill Assist, etc)
- Variants: This is the key, here five star hotel like mentality should come in play...the room size will differ but amenities are almost same. For cars, room size is same but amenities are different. This is where the distribution has to be done properly.
In fact they should call someone from the Taj group for advice.
Dont keep many variants, the base variant should have most of the convenient features.
- Pricing: Dont get greedy, position it at around ~1.25 to 1.5 L above Harrier Base variant (which will be a surprise if they do).
- 4x4, AWD: Get this in the top end and one below it - May be later
- Sales and Service: This will be the key, get it right the first time, put a system in place.

As a Hexa owner, I am looking forward to Safari.

All the best.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 11th January 2021 at 13:38. Reason: typos
pk_del is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks