Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 08:40   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

All this talk by the Tata management about this being a Safari from the start is completely false.
Long ago people who had the privilege of seeing the first clay models of this car, saw the Safari name at the back. They knew this to be the new Safari.

Later, everyone was told the new name would be Gravitas, right until this final moment where it is being launched as Safari.

All of this could be a calculated move to keep everyone in the dark and relaunch the Safari. I believe the last scoop picture of a production ready car and with Gravitas badge was also an intentional leak.
ashis89 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:04   #737
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Got this information regarding New Safari.
  • Will be available in 4 variants - XE/XM/XT/XZ
  • 2 Seating Configurations available - 6 Seater (Captain Seats) & 7 Seater (Bench Seat).
  • 3 colors have been confirmed - Royale Blue/Orcus White/Daytona Grey.
  • Rear Disc Brakes & Electric Parking Brake Available.
  • Panoramic Sunroof available in XT & XZ.
  • 6 Speed Manual & 6 Speed Automatic available.
  • Dealer training is scheduled for 3rd Week of January.
  • Official Bookings will start soon after Unveil on January 26th.
  • Test Drive Cars will be available from last week of January.
CarguyNish is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:11   #738
BHPian

Whether the Safari branding of the erstwhile Gravitas is good or bad, appropriate or inappropriate but it has helped fill 18 pages on Team BHP in the last 10 days. If it generates similar interest in the market place, Tata marketing team would have done their job!
octane_100 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:27   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Personally, i wouldn't rush booking this. I would wait until the next gen XUV500 to compare what the features. Besides, I am almost certain that XUV500 will offer AT along with AWD.

Earlier, the biggest disadvantage Mahindra had when comparing to a competing Tata product was lack of ergonomics and poor ride/handling, not to mention butt ugly SUVs (except the Thar and Bolero). But now Mahindra seemed to have overcome their bug-bears. Personally, I would evaluate the next Gen XUV500 before booking the Gravitas.
4x4addict is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:37   #740
BHPian

When push comes to shove, I might consider the Safari even with a Front Wheel Drive if all other options in the market don't look promising. A dream spec with the current Front Wheel Drive Safari for me would be:

1) 6 Seater ( So that I don't have to see the allergic-to-my-eyes Centre lap belt on a 20 Lakh plus crossover in 2021).

2) The top end variant with 6 Airbags.

3) Automatic, since off roading is out of the question anyway.

4) I would happily swap out the standard tyres to one size wider All Terrain Tyres to maximise the chance of getting out of sticky situations. From what I heard from a friend who has the Harrier Automatic, he did say that while the 14 ESP modes might not make sense all the time, he did get out of soft mud on a couple of situations where he thought the heavy behemoth would get stuck.

5) Undecided on the colour but if the legendary Pearl White option is made available, I would instantly pick that colour!

All Wheel Drive will be missed as some have already pointed out as I am a driver who likes to go slightly off the regular path but as a large, comfortable and safe highway mile muncher, you can't go wrong with the Front Wheel Drive only configuration.

It all boils down to what the Scorpio "Sting" would bring to the table. If Mahindra gets a Four Wheel Drive variant, I would pick the Scorpio eyes closed. And yes I deliberately left the XUV 500 out of the equation as Tata has decided to call the once "Gravitas" as "Safari" and to me, a Safari is always a competitor to the Scorpio.
aveoman19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:49   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Personally, i wouldn't rush booking this. I would wait until the next gen XUV500 to compare what the features. Besides, I am almost certain that XUV500 will offer AT along with AWD.

Mahindra seemed to have overcome their bug-bears. Personally, I would evaluate the next Gen XUV500 before booking the Gravitas.
+1 on this comment. This is exactly what I am going to do after a detail evaluation (with couple of test rides of each). I might even book the new-gen XUV500 at launch, before the test drive and will only cancel, if Mahindra hasn't addressed performance, drivability and comfortness properly. There is no compromise on these 3 parameters.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:51   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
And yes I deliberately left the XUV 500 out of the equation as Tata has decided to call the once "Gravitas" as "Safari" and to me, a Safari is always a competitor to the Scorpio.
That's comparing next gen lancer (if it happens) with current Baleno because they both used to be competitors in the past.

Scorpio definitely should sit below Gravitas/XUV 500 in all aspects including pricing.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:02   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
That's comparing next gen lancer (if it happens) with current Baleno because they both used to be competitors in the past.
It is just my personal preference to compare the two. Emotionally. Not technically. I hope I've not offended you in any way. I am one of the earliest followers of your Safari Storme 400 Ownership reviews and the old Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX before that
aveoman19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:06   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Not technically. I hope I've not offended you in any way.
Not at all!

I posted that because I have been among those people who passionately enjoyed the Safari - Scorpio rivalry for decades.

I somehow couldn't see it continue with Gravitas though.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:10   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

• 2 Seating Configurations available - 6 Seater (Captain Seats) & 7 Seater (Bench Seat).
Wow, this is good. Panoramic Sunroof on a stepped roof would have been a hard feat to achieve.
I was disappointed when someone had shared news on this thread that there is no Panoramic sunroof.

Seems like our @ravenavi was right from the start.😀

Anyway for the naming of Gravitas as Safari, it seems like an afterthought one for sure.

Hope there's a bump up on power figures too. But that seems unlikely. Let's hope.
jithudigitised is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:20   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

That's a good list to start with if they keep the pricing sharp. I wish they had an AWD/4WD to win over the rest of the Safari creed too and establish it as a proper SUV. If they had managed it it would have been a total coup as then the TFort, Endeavour etc would definitely look overpriced and give it a bigger customer base. I do know market research says these version have a miniscule sales potential but the wonders it does to the image of the car would translate to more sales.

Looks like there will be a more gizmos XZ+ version down the line. Looks like waiting for the XUV too to come up with their offering seems to be the prudent thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Hope there's a bump up on power figures too. But that seems unlikely. Let's hope.
Unlikely as the Fiat 2.0 Multijet II that Tata calls Kryotec has only the 140 & 170 PS version. GM's derivative has a 195 PS version but I don't think they would have gone that route in the last year. Besides IMHO the Harrier was slated for the 140PS version with the 170PS for the Safari till the Harrier 1.0 got a lot of feedback on the engine and they decided to plonk the 170PS one instead. That eliminated one differentiator between the twins.

Last edited by nainan : 12th January 2021 at 13:29.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:50   #747
BANNED

When Safari was available there were no 4WD lovers to be seen! Now when Gravitas is renamed as Safari everyone wants a 4WD. I would rather be worried about Harrier which is built on same platform being not yet crash tested, so this one also won't be crash tested before launch like Altroz. That is suspicious since all other cars from Tata stable have been crash tested. 4WD they can add later, safety I'm not sure.
The Rationalist is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:14   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
When Safari was available there were no 4WD lovers to be seen! Now when Gravitas is renamed as Safari everyone wants a 4WD.
You are truly a rationalist
Your comment may be correct however Its just the emotions associated with Safari name. At the end of it there are people who do not care for 4X4 at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Absolutely the same thought. I would be very interested in a Highway cruiser which is 7 Seater, AT and 4X4 (at least AWD) south of 20L. However with new XUV launch, it would be very important to wait out a while and not be first in line. So there goes another 6 months post launch. It will be a close fight between these two cars.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:15   #749
BHPian

I personally don't understand the fascination with AWD. Would people start offroading every day if the Safari had a 4x4 version? What difference does it make if it is there? Frankly, I feel it would make sense if someone bought it and made good use of the system. At least, as opposed to using it once a year or something. I don't see why the absence of a four wheel drive system should be a deal breaker.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:30   #750

I wish the Silver colour is brought back which was removed as an option from the updated Harrier.

Amongst the lighter shades shown till now on the Safari, both white (production line pics) and light blue (autoexpo display) are not appealing. Hoping for more options.

Regards

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

jumper_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed