Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 15:05   #946
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Emotions aside why have they given Harrier 6 airbags, ESP and bucketloads of safety features if they could easily get a GNCAP 5 rating with just 2 airbags and corner brake control like they have in Altroz?
Kindly note they did the same to Seltos, crashworthiness depends more on the structure assisted by airbags. As mentioned earlier they did set out to have a car with good NCAP ratings. The fact that they still haven't is unusual.
Old 15th January 2021, 15:15   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Tata Motors should utilize Safari launch for some price correction too(maybe in form of introductory prices for Safari).
Harrier/Safari's biggest competitor is Hector/Hector-plus. 5-6 months down the line, XUV500 will join too.
----
Tata has got a brilliant product: Harrier/Safari. I just hope they don't lose out to Hector/Hector-plus as MG is offering more 'visible' gizmos/features in Hector(plus) and still costing almost 1 lac lesser(on-road, assuming 20 Lac ex-showroom for Safari manual top-end).
That was a very insightful post & indeed precise comparison of cris-crossing variants.

Remarkably (especially since its a Tata in question) - the USP for the Harrier/Safari over the Hector/XL are Looks! When a customer is putting 20+ big ones on the table - the looks have to be smashing beyond any compromise or doubt. Ask the Hexa for example. Looks killed this remarkable car. The Hector looks polarizing. No doubt about it. On this single point rest a lot of hopes for the Safari and there is a high chance that between the Safari and HectorXL, people will readily pay that 1L OTR extra for the sheer menacing looks of it. (A decade back, both these were jokes. A Tata car selling at a higher price than its peer AND a Tata car selling for its looks! )

Come the XUV5oo in the equation and it might be choppy waters for the Safari. Its beyond doubt that the XUV5oo will be a cargo-ship of gizmos. It was this car's first gen that actually brought this trend of selling electronic features rather than SUV credentials (first monocoque FWD mass produced Mahindra car in our market, that saw huge success).

If the XUV5oo's next generation has sorted handling and dynamics, Safari's work is cut out. Old Xuv5oo handled like a bored trawler. The XUV really will look good I suspect. Currently the Harrier twin's ride quality & dynamics are really very good and sorted for the size in which they play. An XUV5oo that looks good & handles equally well - will be tough to beat. Mahindra's VFM credentials are rock solid (with the exception of XUV3oo).

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th January 2021 at 15:25.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:16   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Tata has got a brilliant product: Harrier/Safari. I just hope they don't lose out to Hector/Hector-plus as MG is offering more 'visible' gizmos/features in Hector(plus) and still costing almost 1 lac lesser(on-road, assuming 20 Lac ex-showroom for Safari manual top-end).
IMO the Hector/Hector + aren't just offering Gizmos on top of Harrier.

Small bits like a flat rear floorboard, three rear headrests, massive 587 litres of bootspace, a much lighter steering at city speeds (Harrier is a handful to handle in the city), Better legroom, and in general a lot lesser niggles (Been in some owners groups, and general feedback about the After sales is splendid). In terms of NVH too, the MG twins better the Harrier, by some good margin.

They might be Chinese, but ironically have got the pulse of the Indian market better than the Indian Manufacturer.

That said both these cars will face tremendous heat from the XUV. Going by whatever information is available on the car, I feel Mahindra would leave no stone unturned for its quest of bringing the best ever XUV. Hector/Hector+ would still sell (because of their long feature list and some thoughtful touches for a family car buyer), but would be very tough for Harrier/Safari. Tata's only trump card against Hector twins, is the looks and a great high speed ride quality. If XUV excels in both, its game over for the Harrier/Safari.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th January 2021 at 15:21.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:20   #949
BHPian

Just noticed - The Safari will be very hard to get on my list who has dogs and a <8 years old. I suppose many targeted to "Reclaim their life" will have this constraint. They should have either continued with Harrier upholstery colour or picked the Hexa grey one. Yeah strange how it's hasn't been brought up yet - Pearl White upholstery for a family SUV and with a sorta go anywhere approach. Just aped Jeep Compass mindlessly.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:35   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Imagine the next Scorpio being a 6-seater extended KUV300.

If Tata thinks there are not there yet, then save it for later. That kink in roofrail and upper window line are half-hearted measures to begin with. Could be forgiven for 'Gravitas' but defintiely dilutes the 'Safari' brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
The step-up window and roofline looks sportier and better suited for an aspiring SUV
That's the dissapointing part, isn't it? ''aspiring SUV''
Old 15th January 2021, 15:58   #951
BHPian

If Tata is not going to put the Safari's safety to test through GNCAP asap, you can bet that Mahindra will pounce on this chance, het their XUV tested first and steal the thunder.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:12   #952
rpm
BHPian

Seeing all the edits to the face of the safari has inspired me to try my hand at it as well. Here, let me treat all BHPians to some more (low) quality edits: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari21.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari22.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari23.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari24.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari25.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari26.jpg

Source image credits: This thread
rpm is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:57   #953
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari imagined in Dark Edition

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_165644.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 17:29   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
All said and done, it was a brilliant idea from Tata to rebadge the 7-seater Gravitas to Safari. .
I disgree sir. "SAFARI" in its original avatar was a groundsup product with no heritage. It was a branding which was unique and name itself resonated across generations as a lifestyle go anywhere vehicle.

TATA has killed that legacy and branding now.
Irrespective of how good the car is, it is a harrier with extra seats.

Even if they had decided to go ahead with "SAFARI" branding, they should have worked on the front end to create some resemblance with SAFARI Storme, but sadly there is none!

It is complete resemblance with HARRIER which is disappointing.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 17:42   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2108706

If this truly sees daylight then it has to be the most stunning SUV in terms of looks !
rocketfinger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 17:43   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Seeing all the edits to the face of the safari has inspired me to try my hand at it as well. Here, let me treat all BHPians to some more (low) quality edits: Attachment 2108673Attachment 2108674Attachment 2108675Attachment 2108676Attachment 2108677Attachment 2108678

Source image credits: This thread
The fourth image looks the best render. Was actually hoping to see Harrier in this form, than those bulbous headlights.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 18:01   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Wow!. It looks even better in black, like most cars do. It will be very interesting to see the third row. It is highly annoying to see some cars getting a third row just for the heck of it and labelling them seven seaters!.

Get the spacing sorted, even more importantly the pricing, looks are sorted already, name has shaken the SUV world.

The SAFARI is back with a bang! .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 18:08   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I disgree sir. "SAFARI" in its original avatar was a groundsup product with no heritage. It was a branding which was unique and name itself resonated across generations as a lifestyle go anywhere vehicle.

It is complete resemblance with HARRIER which is disappointing.
I totally agree with you sir on all points. I have the same feelings but I was speaking on a purely business point of view in order to gather more sales.

I was also very happy with the first ads but it was a disappointment to see Gravitas rather a 7-seater Harrier being rebranded as a Safari.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 18:12   #959
BHPian

Not sure if he was praising or trolling Mr Bose

Safaris is backish
anoopGTkrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 18:25   #960

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Your post made me give it a try.

Here is an amateur attempt.

http://Youtu.be/x_8nt38mkQw

Do not know if it will be taken down for copyright violations.
Great attempt! Due credits to the original makers of the original safari as well. Still gives me goosebumps
rony.mandal is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks