Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 19:59   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
One key thing Mr. Bose mentions is that the Safari’s 2nd row seats will be placed higher than the Harrier’s.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th January 2021 at 20:01.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 20:23   #962
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The fourth image looks the best render. Was actually hoping to see Harrier in this form, than those bulbous headlights.
Personally, I was never a fan of the split DRL arrangement. But then, everyone decided to jump aboard this ship. Creta, Seltos (not exactly, but it does look very odd with that lower light stuck to the upper unit), Venue, Hector. Even Altroz looks very quirky to me with those cornering lamps placed so high up.

On SUV's, maybe it's done because their higher headlight position is blinding for sedans and hatchbacks? Any clues?
Modern trucks and buses also seem to have lower headlight position than before.

It may be that Tata's trying to grab eyeballs with the first iteration, like they did with Nexon (if I recall correctly, this was Pratap Bose's statement when asked about the Nexon facelift). Maybe they'll mellow down with a more mature look in the facelift? (Tata/ Pratap Bose,)

Off topic: My favourite design from the Tata stable, or any hatchback in India for that matter, is the new Tiago, closely tied with the Polo.
If Tiago and Altroz belonged to same segment, with similar features, and Tiago too had a 5 star crash rating, I would personally pick the Tiago over Altroz every time.

Last edited by rpm : 15th January 2021 at 20:41.
Old 15th January 2021, 20:26   #963
BHPian

There are a few open questions. Some have been discussed on and off on this thread but with no conclusions:

(1) the perceived ride quality / body roll that is assumed to be limited due to the 'Harrier' underpinnings. However this could be different with the 'Safari' on account of any set-up changes and dimensions.

(2) The seat fabric/ leather quality and color : There has been some discussion on this. Choices here in terms of not just the white but other options would be immensely useful. I particularly like the color offered on the Harrier in all of their advertisements/ review cars.

There hasn't been much discussion on the quality of service and support in terms of
a. time taken to rectify/ service the vehicle
b. quality of the repairs/ service.
c. service center ambience/ waiting time/ facilities for a vehicle at this price point.
d. cost and ready availability of spares.

How is it in general and how is it specifically in Bengaluru ? Any thoughts or inputs ?

(3) What is the production capacity for this vehicle ?

(4) How difficult is it to drive 'Harrier' (and hence Safari) in the city? There have been a few references to the tight hydraulic power steering, particularly at low speeds. Are there reference comparators for this ? Turning Radius ?

thanks,
Subbarp

Last edited by subbarp : 15th January 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Spelling errors corrected
Old 15th January 2021, 21:47   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I disgree sir. "SAFARI" in its original avatar was a groundsup product with no heritage. It was a branding which was unique and name itself resonated across generations as a lifestyle go anywhere vehicle.

TATA has killed that legacy and branding now.
Irrespective of how good the car is, it is a harrier with extra seats.

Even if they had decided to go ahead with "SAFARI" branding, they should have worked on the front end to create some resemblance with SAFARI Storme, but sadly there is none!

It is complete resemblance with HARRIER which is disappointing.
Agree totally.

The side look is growing on me.

But the front is over busy and a putoff.

And the rear is pretty weird as well. Bordering on unpleasant (I'm trying hard not to put ugly and Safari in the same sentence).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th January 2021 at 21:49.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 22:00   #965
Team-BHP Support

Pratap Bose shares the original sketch by Cosimo Amadei of TATA Design, that went on to become the new TATA Safari.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-pratapbosephoto2021_01_15_21_54.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 22:12   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
There hasn't been much discussion on the quality of service and support in terms of
a. time taken to rectify/ service the vehicle
b. quality of the repairs/ service.
c. service center ambience/ waiting time/ facilities for a vehicle at this price point.
d. cost and ready availability of spares.
I can only comment on following points-

Service- In general TATA's have suffered from niggling issues always. Even if you browse the TBhp's reports on Harrier, you can see the different issues the owners have faced. In short, keep average expectations in terms of niggles and ASS. Reliability, though is much better than earlier Tata vehicles, and I don't think any mechanical fault could result in a breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
(4) How difficult is it to drive 'Harrier' (and hence Safari) in the city? There have been a few references to the tight hydraulic power steering, particularly at low speeds. Are there reference comparators for this ? Turning Radius ?
It's heavy at low speeds. If I were to rate the heaviness of Hexa at 9/10 (10 being the heaviest), I would rate Harrier at 8. Coupled with thick A pillars (Good that replaced the elephant mirrors), lack of front parking sensors/camera, can be an issue to park/maneuver in crowded cities.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th January 2021 at 22:14.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 23:40   #967
BHPian

Not sure I am qualified to make a few comments here. I've been watching, reading this thread since day one. And was wondering how many of those who have been criticizing TM on the re-naming of gravitas to safari have owned a safari , once at least!

Well, Safari like many kids of my generation was a dream vehicle for me. But had to wait and get over many hurdles (typical, why not an innova or TFort questions from friends and family and of course some financial issues). In last 11 years I have owned two safaris. 5 years spent with a Dicor, retuned with few piggy back ECUs and I am on 6th year now with a Storme (refreshed version).

I would have traded the current safari (storme) for the same build with an autobox and the 400nm varicor diesel in it's BS6 avatar for sure. The missing panaromic sunroof or any other gizmos/gimmicks wouldn't have had any effect on that decision.

Its not that I can not save a few more and spend it on the Safari'ed gravitas. This one indeed is a good SUV made by TM,but is not the safari(s) that I have driven for 11+ years. But I don't regret their decision at all. I doubt they had any better choice (commercially) in the current market scenario.A BS6 Dicor version or the Storme itself with all the gizmos suggested by some enthusiasts here might end up in the sales chart as dead on arrival again.

I may have lost a chance to upgrade to a better Safari. But this one is not bad either. As long as parts are available, I am keeping my Storme for a few more years.

Last edited by BipB : 15th January 2021 at 23:46.
BipB is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 23:57   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post

I may have lost a chance to upgrade to a better Safari. But this one is not bad either. As long as parts are available, I am keeping my Storme for a few more years.
As a first gen '13 Safari storme owner, I feel the same way. Frankly I never looked at the harrier, it was somehow too sleek and has too much glass on its front for my liking. And the gravitas I didn't even bother to look at because I was getting fed up with this lazy trend of plonking two extra seats and pushing it as a new car - Hector + Harrier + Creta + etc...
With the lack of a real suitable 7seater upgrade and the premium D2 SUVs costa through the roof, I began looking for a second hand Endeavour as the most appropriate solution.

...until they called it Safari.

I've found it hard to ignore it from that point on, and I'm telling myself that - you know what this is a modern evolved automobile and even looks good from some angles and just might work. Look the side profile is truly reminiscent of your storme,this might work.

.Im trying hard to convince myself not to make another emotional purchase (again) and to wait for the AWD. Many people I know still drool at my Urban bronze storme and I wouldn't let it go if it could just get an interior refresh and an auto box.

Heck one part of me thinks , with the Gravitas Safari reminding and reassuring the people that the BOF Safaris of yore are really gone for good, probably we will find some resale uptick for these charming old school SUVs.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 00:38   #969
Senior - BHPian

Just my 2 cents.

It will sell well

The name of a vehicle is seemingly a very important factor to the typical Indian customer. Add in the majority of features that the Safari gets and you are bound to have a winner in your hands. Us Indians are usually able to relate to a product very well. However, for us enthusiasts, this Safari might not make the cut, but for the average buyer, it’s a car with a long heritage but in a completely new form. The Stepped Roof definitely brings back a lot of memories and it is a given that TaMo will end up providing 4*4 in a few months considering it’s based on OMEGARC (A Land Rover D8 Derived Platform which already has the superb off-road capability seen on the LR Discovery Sport.

There is a good chance the Tata Twin SUVs can take out the CSUV & D1 segment now

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-a3bbab6742dd4166a57f927795bda7d9.jpeg

GTO has already said it and I will say it again - The Harrier as a product has improved so much in 2020 that it feels like a completely new car. Now, take the improvements in a Harrier and put it into the larger brother. Voila! You have a car which is already tried and tested and should have almost no niggles. The Koreans, Compass & the M&M product should already hope for a sharp decline in the sales since now you have a Harrier from the ₹13L-₹22L (expected) price range which thereby, caters to almost all the buyers of the segment.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 16th January 2021 at 00:41.
akash_v12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 09:04   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
...The adrenaline rush we had seeing this jump and power slide is just MASSIVE! So many goosebumps moments. Tata should have recreated the same ...
Love the new design!

However, I still get goosebumps remembering moments from my ten year association with the original patriarch !

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safariposingcollage.jpg

I hope, TML gets the missing hardware soon.

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 10:17   #971
BHPian

Just observation(might b wrong): I remember similar kind of outrage when the Storme was launched without wheel on the back. But the people who actually owned have welcomed the move(though with some nostalgia). I see the similar trend now. People who actually owned are accepting relatively well this new safari.
arun_kun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 10:55   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh man!! I used to wonder why have lost interest in this section off-late and I realize now "why"!

1. Pages of (useless) discussion on why the company decided to keep the name 'Safario & not Gravitas.

2. Pages of discussion on how Mr Pratap Bose has been 'arrogant' because he responds what few people are not ready to accept

3. Pages of discussion on why TATA should have made 4x4 available (which doesnt make sense as per their market research).

4. When they provide all these features for a price, we starting cribbing how expensive they priced the product which doesnt carry any 'snob' value!!

For God's sake, TATA is trying to come out of their horrible past and trying to turn into a profitable business so they can exist, but no we wouldn't allow them!! We will not buy their cars and then we also will keep demanding all financially unviable features stuck in and also demand their representatives to make statements what we want to hear.

I have no idea how it makes a difference to anyone what TATA decided to name this product or did they decide to change it midway. You dont like the name, please dont buy. If you think they changed the branding in between and you didnt like the strategy, please stay away from the brand. If you dont like what Mr Bose said, stop following him. Let the bl**dy company do what they think is suiting them.

If you need a 4x4, please do choose whats available in the market. But no, we'll not buy any of those because we are all waiting ONLY for TATA to make that product.

PS:: If we had half of such trolling for Suzuki's India head or Hyundai/Kia, they might have atleast provided better VFM / quality cars. But no, that's all reserved for TATA

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2021 at 11:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:26   #973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Oh man!! I used to wonder why have lost interest in this section off-late and I realize now "why"!

Quote:
3. Pages of discussion on why TATA should have made 4x4 available (which doesnt make sense as per their market research).
They're taking a leaf out of Maruti, Jimny hasn't seen daylight as yet. God knows if it will come and how many people will go for it. It may become like Thar, an aspirational vehicle but not a practical one as a daily driver for many.( I'm talking about the Jimny here, not Safari.).

Quote:
PS:: If we had half of such trolling for Suzuki's India head or Hyundai/Kia, they might have atleast provided better VFM / quality cars. But no, that's all reserved for TATA
I bet MSIL would've not batted an eyelid even with so much of trolling. They know the market very well. Even if they're a few points off, still the volume of sales and market share doesn't dwindle.

The Safari has indeed generated interest in me. It promises to be a good 7 seater. Let's wait till 26th.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:32   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea how it makes a difference to anyone what TATA decided to name this product or did they decide to change it midway. You dont like the name, please dont buy. If you think they changed the branding in between and you didnt like the strategy, please stay away from the brand. If you dont like what Mr Bose said, stop following him. Let the bl**dy company do what they think is suiting them.
Isn't that (discussing matters related auto) the purpose of forums like TBHP? If people have to just pick what suits them and can't comment on other things, they will pick a magazine instead.
As long as there are no personal attacks and the forum rules are followed, opinions and discussions (without dragging it too much of course) should be welcome.
Guna is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:50   #975
BHPian

Quote:
What @Guna said. Plus may be because some of us are emotionally and financially involved in the success of TATA. We want it to succeed and see the forum as a vent to cry out loud when we see its not doing what its supposed to. Yes, its our opinion and neither Pratap & TATA has to give two hoots about it but sure does feel good to share the pain in our hearts with fellow members who share the same.

Even more so when the latest releases such as Tiago/Nexon/Altroz and harrier have shown what the design team can achieve, Safari seems like a half baked approach!

To summarize...
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-untitled2-copy.jpg  

rascalangel is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks