Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 12:09   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

The iconic Tata Safari Ad has been reimagined with the 2021 model. Pretty cool that it still doesn't feel dated and feels relevant even in today's times.

coolkurt is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 12:10   #977
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari AR experience pictures shared on Twitter

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_202035.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_202033.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_202100.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_202102.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210115_202104.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 12:58   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post

To summarize...
Safari was never inspired from Defender. It was always copied from Discovery. Well, not actually copying since they own the company now. This is what happened. Except the base architecture is from baby discovery rather than the full blown one. That is okay considering the price point.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-smartselect_20210116125329_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th January 2021 at 12:59.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 13:25   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Safari was never inspired from Defender. It was always copied from Discovery. Well, not actually copying since they own the company now. This is what happened. Except the base architecture is from baby discovery rather than the full blown one. That is okay considering the price point.
Its the other way around - Discovery has 'Safari' windows carried over from the older line of vehicles.

Safari was designed for the European market back in the 90's. All SUVs had similar design and roof rails those days, it was contemporary Wagon Style. Safari was based on mercedes derived telcoline and no connection to LR at that time apart from the windows.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 14:23   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Its the other way around - Discovery has 'Safari' windows carried over from the older line of vehicles.
Well, Discovery had a 9 year head start to Tata Safari. It was launched in 1989 and Safari came in 1998. I know Tata and LR had no connections back then. But if you want to derive inspiration for designing an SUV from in the 90s who would you look up to? Discovery was a big hit in the 90s. It is possible that Safari windows were inspired from older line of SUVs back that time, but my point was that Safari was closer to the concept of Discovery than it was to defender.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th January 2021 at 14:30.
Old 16th January 2021, 19:02   #981
BHPian

Gravitas spotted again.

The exhaust ends with silver finish reminds of Ford Endeavour to some extent.
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210116_190038.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210116_190035.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-20210116_190032.jpg

Source: MotorBeam

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 16th January 2021 at 19:04.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:56   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think you missed the point. What i meant was Tata projected to do what LR did with Defender to Safari. Retain its spirit while modernizing the design. But instead what they did was equivalent of taking a (soft) SUV like Harrier (Freelander in the pic) extending its boot and branded it as a Safari (Freelander with defender badge in the 4th pic).
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:16   #983
BHPian

Gravitas as Safari ----NAH!

Going against the Fan opinion here....
-The front and rear ends do NOT look cohesive, especially when viewed in side profile.
- The front end is a busy and confused looking design, touted as cool, Well, that's nice, but the moot point is - where is the differentiating design point between Harrier and Safari??
-Evidently, Tata is attempting to balance its its finance and chances by going against the norm - by keeping the front end same - like for example - the Indica and Indigo.
- I believe its a typical weak. in-the-box approach to the problem - trying to please everybody at the same time.
- They tried it with the Indigo & Indica front ends.
So, that's where they will land up again. Fancy designs and whatever notwithstanding - poor sales figures!!

PS - has any member of TATA management ever - I mean EVER driven their SUV over any worthwhile adventure trail???

Or are they dependent on theoretical analyses of the "market forces"???

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 16th January 2021 at 20:18.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 21:34   #984
BHPian

Re: Gravitas as Safari ----NAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
PS - has any member of TATA management ever - I mean EVER driven their SUV over any worthwhile adventure trail???
That may not be necessary since management is capable of employing relevant experts as engineers. It is like asking a football team coach whether he has ever played an international football tournament or a GPU architect whether he has ever played an online gaming tournament? In my opinion, this is a decision Tata has arrived possibly based on endless debates and discussions internally. After all, it is a professionally run company and they definitely won't be able to make their decision based on "personal experience" on adventure trails.
vinodvayyat is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 01:28   #985
BHPian

I would believe that front sensors and a 360 degree camera would add immense value to the vehicle of this size and should be present.
I did not see these in the equipment list thus far and that would be disappointing. Hope these are added.
Old 17th January 2021, 11:58   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The iconic Tata Safari Ad has been reimagined with the 2021 model. Pretty cool that it still doesn't feel dated and feels relevant even in today's times.

https://Youtu.be/aoBaQE5AWpc
Great Work, but for me this advt. captures the true Safari spirit, now looking forward to Jan 26th launch

Aniket Verma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:17   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
When Safari was available there were no 4WD lovers to be seen!
So, you haven't come across a 4WD Safari or Safari Storme?

It is okay not to have 4WD, but why do they pomp pomp the Land Rover heritage?

Besides when your main competition offers it, it makes sense to do it.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:41   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I think they should have offered a 4WD with the Safari for these as well as some more reasons:-
  1. This large and heavy a car is bound to get into situations where the 4WD would mean the difference between calling a crane or looking for 10-15 able bodied men or just driving out. My Safari got stuck twice in such predicaments where I wished I had spent that extra lakh.
  2. SUV credentials. It adds character to the vehicle and clearly differentiates it from the MUVs like an Innova irrespective of how many people buy that version. That's why there is so much recall for the reclaim your life ads.
  3. It makes the Safari even more VFM when you compare it with the Endeavour or the TFort subtly changing its positioning and attracting buyers from a whole different segment

Yes there are market studies which say there is very little market for 4WD in India and maybe that's why Hyundai chose to bring the Creta to Indian shores without one. But then what is true for 5 seaters might not be for 7 seaters as in this segment there is not one competitor who does not offer one. They cite cost as a deterrent but I for one have never been able to fathom how Mahindra is able to put everything together and still be cost competent where Tata in-spite of all the resources at their disposal has to compromise to keep the pricing. I wonder whats at work here.
nainan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:53   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
So, you haven't come across a 4WD Safari or Safari Storme?

Adding 4*4 would have definitely helped Safari's image. Majority of the Endeavour/Fortuner/Pajero Sports sold are 4*2AT but when you think about these cars it's brawny looks and 4x4 model that paints picture in your mind. Tata is right, 4*4 is a small market but then it plays a big role in setting up identity, indirectly helping sales of 4*2. If Tata wants this to be runaway success, they should bring in all options.
PrideRed is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 15:37   #990
rpm
BHPian

Here are some more (low) quality edits to the Safari's face. Gave it the new LR Discovery Sport headlamps this time around. The fog lamps in the second picture are the same as before, a shortened version of the Hyundai Palisade's headlamps (yes, I used headlamps as fog lamps ).
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari27.jpgThe Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-safari28.jpg

Last edited by rpm : 17th January 2021 at 16:00.
rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks