Team-BHP - Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/214607-rumour-maruti-suzuki-introduce-1-6-litre-diesel-engine-2020-a.html)

Maruti To Introduce 1.6-Litre BS6 Diesel Engine Next Year. Only MPV's and SUV's are likely to get this engine. Sedans would most probably get the BS6 compliant Suzuki's 1.5L diesel engines, when ready.

Enthusiasts missing the 1.6DDiS S Cross will have to wait a little longer. Vitara too would be another option with this engine.

Maruti Suzuki XL6, S-Cross and the upcoming Vitara will likely get the Fiat-sourced BS6 diesel engine by the end of 2020.

Quote:

Maruti will likely to re-introduce Fiat-sourced 1.6-litre diesel engine with BSVI compliance. The unit will be used only in select models sitting in the premium price bracket

Quote:

The cars costing below Rs. 10 lakh are seeing more sales penetration for petrol powertrains compared to diesels due to their attractive price points and relatively less maintenance involved. As buyers are showing more affinity towards SUVs, the importance of diesel engines should not be ruled out of the equation especially in the above Rs. 10 lakh space.

Link

Link2

I wonder why did Maruti spend a few crores and probably many man hours for developing the 1.5 L diesel only to junk it? Why couldn't they make it BS 6 compliant to start with since the policy was announced long time ago. They have also steadfastly refused to introduce this in the S cross which still comes with the measly 1.3 L whereas the ciaz got the 1.5 L.

XL6 seems to be an interesting option for this engine, given its car like ride and handling, this engine option with proper 6 speed AT box would make it a true premium offering.

A very interesting & somewhat pleasant news if true. But I don't see the logic behind it. They already have a pretty good 1.5. Why not work on it to get more power? Or it has reached its peak and something fundamentally misplaced in the design has put a limit on what can be extracted, thus warranting a 1.6? Still surprising when all others are moving towards 1.5L diesels even for top of the line premium cars! Trend is that the lower side has 1.5L while the performance oriented stuff is powered by 2.0L engines coming up from all engine makers.

I guess MSIL will hit a sweet unique spot. It will have a smaller but pretty powerful 1.6L engine with quite lighter cars compared to those with 2.0L engines. The cars will suddenly be powerful machines by virtue of a superb power-to-weight ratio out on the road. But which cars will get it I wonder? The (full) Vitara perhaps is one. What else? A top trim Brezza also? Because other cars are already doing well with the 1.5 DDiS and I don't see Maruti plonking a 1.6 in an ERTIGA.....Or - a 1.6L powered premium XL6 then? I wonder...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4684259)
A very interesting & somewhat pleasant news if true. But I don't see the logic behind it. They already have a pretty good 1.5. Why not work on it to get more power? Or it has reached its peak and something fundamentally misplaced in the design has put a limit on what can be extracted, thus warranting a 1.6? .

What I heard from my sources is, 1.5 barely met the BS IV regulations and BSVI compliance would require a lot of re-enginering and time.

Maruti has invested around 1000 crores in developing 1.5 DDIS engine. There's no solid confirmation about this engine getting BS6 update. I highly doubt Maruti would reintroduce 1.6 MJD. Suzuki has stopped selling S-Cross with 1.6 MJD even in Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4684259)

I guess MSIL will hit a sweet unique spot. It will have a smaller but pretty powerful 1.6L engine with quite lighter cars compared to those with 2.0L engines. The cars will suddenly be powerful machines by virtue of a superb power-to-weight ratio out on the road. But which cars will get it I wonder? The (full) Vitara perhaps is one. What else? A top trim Brezza also? Because other cars are already doing well with the 1.5 DDiS and I don't see Maruti plonking a 1.6 in an ERTIGA.....Or - a 1.6L powered premium XL6 then? I wonder...

I think time will answer this riddle but knowing Maruti they are inclined to produce fuel efficient machines than powerful ones. They will go to such an extent of reducing weight which is only second to Datsun that even they will be concerned whether too much power will make their machines fall apart.:uncontrol

Doesn't make sense if the 1.6 Multijet isn't localized for India.

If the imported original didn't make sense for Maruti - I doubt a more expensive BS6 version will make sense either!

I highly doubt this news. The 1.6L MJD had some issues with respect to emissions in Europe. Link, so getting a dirty engine when India is moving to BS6 is highly improbable. Moreover, MSIL has homegrown 1.5L FGT engine in BS4 avatar and they'll be able to make it BS6. So getting an imported 1.6L engine from Fiat doesn't make sense. There are no cars from FCA right now in India with 1.6L MJD so it's localisation appears to be doubtful. There are many news links but nothing concrete has been seen in market as yet regarding the 1.6 being localised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneCollector (Post 4684372)
There are many news links but nothing concrete has been seen in market as yet regarding the 1.6 being localised.

Maybe Maruti has given Fiat a substantial order, and if the 1.6, alongside the 2.0, are meant to be the mainstay for Maruti Diesel Cars in the future, it makes it economically viable for Fiat to work to meet the new emissions standards.

Gaadiwaadi usually gets its Maruti scoops right, but I think this bit of news is improbable. Here's why:

- I have received confirmation earlier this year that work is on in full swing on making the 1.5L DDiS BS6 compliant. Confirmations have been received from within Maruti as well as a vendor.

- A 1.6L engine pushes these cars into a higher tax bracket. Remember, Maruti counts its pennies more than any other manufacturer.

- A 1.6L engine will be more expensive than Maruti's own 1.5L due to the royalties it has to pay to Fiat.

- Not for enthusiasts, but for the other 99% of the market, the 1.5L is superior due to its better refinement, driveability & fuel economy. Yes, the 1.5L diesel is a jewel of an engine.

On paper, Fiat's 1.6 Multi Jet II is Euro 6 certified. It is a bit puzzling on why Maruti Suzuki would bother sourcing this engine all over again, unless, FCA are cutting them a really good deal and can offer local manufacturing of this engine. Another way to keep the factory running for FCA in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4684484)
- A 1.6L engine pushes these cars into a higher tax bracket. Remember, Maruti counts its pennies more than any other manufacturer.

According to that article, only vehicles >4m are the candidates to get that 1.6L Engine. In that vehicle class, the tax difference is only 2% for 1.5L vs 1.6L diesel Engines.

Loss of revenue & loss of market share from lack of diesels till 1.5L is made BS-VI may be more than the potential cost implications of 2% increase in tax and 1.6L cost structure.

Exclusive: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Diesel BS6 Spied Testing For The First Time

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-marutiscross1.6ldieselbs631068x610.jpg

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-marutiscross1.6ldieselbs6696x398.jpg

Rumour: Maruti-Suzuki to introduce 1.6-Litre diesel engine in 2020-marutiscross1.6ldieselbs62696x398.jpg

Quote:

We broke the exclusive news regarding the re-appearance of the 1.6-litre diesel engine from Maruti Suzuki in the Indian market and now, we are showing you the first set of spy images of the updated S-Cross. The crossover is currently offered in four trims with a single engine and transmission choice.
Quote:

The S-Cross will also receive the 1.5-litre four-cylinder K15B petrol engine with SHVS technology before the BSVI emission regulations come into effect from April 2020. The largest carmaker in the country has now begun road testing the forthcoming diesel engine that will be launched along the due course of next year.
Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarguyNish (Post 4685629)
Exclusive: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Diesel BS6 Spied Testing For The First Time

As they are openly showing that it is a 1.6diesel, my thought is that it is a PR work more than anything else.

When the news of 1.3 ddis getting axed spread, the sales of Brezza went down drastically. So, through this act, Maruti may be telling the prospective customers that 'be assured - diesel is not going anywhere, and buy your 1.3diesel ASAP'.

Is there any chance this is the 1.6L version of Maruti's own 1.5L engine?

Maruti's 1.5 diesel is a great engine, and to reap the benefits of all the money and effort gone into its development, they should make it BS-6 ready at any cost - even if with the help of externals like Bosch.

This Fiat-sourced 1.6 diesel will cost a bomb, and Maruti can't price it competitively. Remember, Hyundai had mentioned that their BS-6 diesel can be priced marginally higher (30k?) than BS-4 models.