Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 09:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Ford is evaluating a Marazzo-based MPV for India

The growing MPV segment has become lucrative. Hyundai is checking out this segment and now FORD too is evaluating this segment.

Rumour: Ford is evaluating a Marazzo-based MPV for India-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191025031558_ford_mpv_mahindrax.png

Dominated by Innova and Ertiga and to some extent even the Marazzo, now Ford seems to be mulling on launch of a MPV based on Marazzo.

Quote:
New Ford MPV to come out of the new Mahindra-Ford JV company. Will share its mechanicals with the Marazzo but will have a completely different body.
Quote:
Ford had previously considered entering the Indian MPV market with a low-cost version of the B-Max (code: B516) to take on the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. However, the investment needed was too high for the volumes projected, especially in a market where MPVs were being overshadowed by SUVs. As a result, the project was ultimately shelved. Now, with this new JV in place, Ford has access to the Marazzo’s platform, which the company plans to use to develop its own ‘top-hat’
Quote:
A BS6 version of Mahindra’s 1.5-litre diesel engine will power the Ford MPV, and manual and AMT auto gearboxes will be on offer, as well. A 1.5-litre turbo-petrol (which Mahindra is in the process of developing) is also a likely engine option.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st November 2019 at 09:16.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 10:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Ford is evaluating a Marazzo-based MPV for India

Marazzo is a good quality product and the Ford version rendered by ACI looks decent to my eyes.

But Ford has to do better than AMT gearboxes! While adopting the Mahindra platforms - they have to differentiate themselves than just by a different top-hat.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 15:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While adopting the Mahindra platforms - they have to differentiate themselves than just by a different top-hat.
ACI article says "Ford is sure to rework the suspension"

Also it is expected to get a new dashboard and the best in business SYNC ICE. So its just not a different top-hat going by that article.

To me this is as good as it can get - Mahindra's powertrains are really good. Now mate them with Ford dynamics and give it in a pleasing exterior design- This could be the driver's car in that segment.

Last edited by vaasscit : 1st November 2019 at 15:29. Reason: Typo fixed
vaasscit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 15:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
This could be the driver's car in that segment.
We're talking of a 1.6 ton ladder-frame UV. Doubt anyone is looking for a driver's car in that segment - even if they do, the monocoque competition will be a better choice.

A better automatic gearbox, SYNC 3 or 4 (I agree) etc could be more of a differentiator than suspension tuning.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st November 2019 at 15:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 15:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
the monocoque competition will be a better choice.
Agreed. It's a heavy car.

On Automatic transmissions - I remember reading it somewhere that Mahindra announced at launch that they will bring in a torque converter along with BS-VI version and AMT is only a stop-gap solution.

So i presume ford would also get that Automatic transmission + BS-VI engine.

If that is not happening, i don't see any ford-specific powertrain changes - Ford neither has other powertrain options in its portfolio nor the volumes for it.
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 16:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ford already have a MPV similar to Marazzo in their portfolio internationally, its called the S max. It could be a good product for India
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:53   #7
BHPian

Huh! Ford evaluating to launch a version of Marazzo?
Why take the trouble, if you are planning to exist the Indian market
styx71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:06   #8
BHPian

The Ford-Mahindra JV may be a blessing in disguise, after all. I like Fords for their ride-handling package and happy to see that they still have not given up entirely on the Indian market. Even though the base product is a Mahindra(which is not bad per se), I am hopeful that Ford will throw in a good measure of their DNA to differentiate the products and appeal to the Ford fans.
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Huh! Ford evaluating to launch a version of Marazzo?
Why take the trouble, if you are planning to exist the Indian market
You have answered yourself here. May be they are planning to exist
Karthik Chandra is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:59   #10
BHPian

Why this Ford / Mahindra?

Hasn't this strategy backfired for Renault - Nissan, Skoda -VW ?.. Nissan micra - Renault pulse, Renault duster - Nissan Terrano, scala - sunny, rapid - vento? Why bother with badge engineering and small changes here and there ? A better proposal is ford focussing on SUVs and hatches and Mahindra on MUVs with revenue sharing agreements.

Other than the glanza - Baleno combo, this has rarely worked.
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

They're at least using a competent base car. Let's see what the end product looks, feels and drives like.

This has potential to slot in the huge MPV barren space between the Ertiga and Innova, if Ford launches fully kitted variants in the 14-16L bracket.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd November 2019 at 22:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 07:56   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Ford is evaluating a Marazzo-based MPV for India

If anyone needed proof that the Marazzo is a competent product, this is it = an American giant borrowing an Indian car to slap its brand on the grille . But the Marazzo is damn good & Mahindra really got the car spot on. Am sure that with Ford's tweaks, the MPV will become even better. Am sure they will be watching Maruti's strategy closely (XL6 vs Ertiga) on how to sell a rebadged MPV.

Ford needs more cars in the MUV & SUV segments as it's pretty much given up on hatchbacks & sedans.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 08:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

This kind of platform sharing is the future in India which is characterized by

1. massive slowing down
2. Highly value conscious market ( read - we like cheap cars )
3. A market that mostly buys into 2 brands only ( more than 2 out 3 car buyers go for Maruti or Hyundai ) leaving little for others
4. A future that will see lesser of ICE vehicles and more of EVs
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 11:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been on this Marazzo for long, but from my short experience the car feels incredibly refined both inside and out(feels like a petrol at times)

As others pointed out, this car lacked a competent auto gear box but then not sure if the segment really needs it. From Innova to Ertiga the sales are mostly for the manual.

I doubt Ford would do any specific tuning. It might just be an exercise like the Glanza/Baleno OR the nexa XL6/Ertiga.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If anyone needed proof that the Marazzo is a competent product, this is it = an American giant borrowing an Indian car to slap its brand on the grille . But the Marazzo is damn good & Mahindra really got the car spot on.
I have loved the Marazzo from its launch. One of the better launches over last 2-3 years in my opinion. Pleasant that it came from a home grown maker with tractor heritage.

However, in the big picture, I'd have liked to see a large brand like Ford actually bringing their competent MPVs like the Galaxy into India rather than just brand engineering. If large multinationals like Ford start badge engineering Indian cars, it might not be the best for our aspirations as better products won't arrive. I'd simply buy a Marazzo out of blind patriotism in that case.

I hope the industry wakes up, makes right decisions & starts bringing competent products to one of the highest untapped growth potential markets.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks