Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 23:15   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Should I say Lee Iacocca.
Internationally Rudolf Diesel,Otto Van, Henry Ford, Fredinand Porsche,Sir William Morris, Sir Herbert Austin, Ettore Bugatti, Sir Alec Issigonis, Enzo Ferrari,Siochiro Honda,Lee Iacocca and now Ratan Tata and Carlos Ghosn.

And for India - Walchand Hirachand, Keshub Mahindra (also his father and uncle who founded M & M), B.M. Birla, J.R.D. Tata, Ratan Tata, Rahul Bajaj, R.C. Bhargava, Jagadish Khattar, V.M. Subbu,Anand Mahindra, Dilip Chhabria.How can we forget Hormazd Sorabjee the key figure in auto journalism?

Lastly most of the credit in India should also go to Sanjay Gandhi for conceptuating and founding Maruti Udyog Limited.He never lived to see its success.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th January 2010 at 23:16.
Old 5th January 2010, 01:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Another addition from my side. Late Sumant Mulgaonkar (spl chk) from TELCO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
J.R.D. Tata, Ratan Tata, Rahul Bajaj.
was Ratan-sir on board when the TATAmobile was launched? Sumant Mulgaokar was also a key personality those days that pushed TELCO into LCVs like 407 and the mobile. JRD was really in the background.

Quote:
Lastly most of the credit in India should also go to Sanjay Gandhi for conceptuating and founding Maruti Udyog Limited.He never lived to see its success.
I guess we have to give more credit to Indira Gandhi. She was one determined woman and made MARUTI happen for India after Sanjay passed away.
Old 5th January 2010, 19:27   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Internationally Rudolf Diesel,Otto Van, Henry Ford, Fredinand Porsche,Sir William Morris, Sir Herbert Austin, Ettore Bugatti, Sir Alec Issigonis, Enzo Ferrari,Siochiro Honda,Lee Iacocca and now Ratan Tata and Carlos Ghosn.
Sorry to have forgotten Gottlieb Daimler the inventor!
Old 5th January 2010, 19:57   #124
BHPian

My two pennies worth :

The engineers & carmakers :

Ettore Bugatti
WO Bentley
Marc Birkigt
Fred & August Duesenburg
Alec Issigonis
Ferdinand Porsche

The designers :

Guigiaro
Flaminio Bertoni-Robert Opron
Ian Callum

The managers :

Henry Ford
AP Sloan
Sumant Moolgaonkar
Eberhard von Kuenheim
Ratan Tata

There are many more but these are at the top of my mind right now.

Regards
Old 16th April 2010, 15:24   #125
BHPian

HI,
I feel that passion for cars will go down as the yeards rollby. More and more cars are being produced making it difficult to drive and park.Now every Tom Dick and Harry are owning cars. Earlier the scene was differnt we had big cars to drive, clean roads, lot of parking space and driving was a pleasure. Although we are now having sleek new generation cars I enjoyed driving my Italian fiat twenty years back. Those who maitanined their cars were admired and looked upon. Now even if your drive a Mercedes notbody bothers. Earlier for majority cars they owned was like a family member looked after very well.

B.ANANT
NAGPUR.
LAMBRETTA 1967
FIAT-1995

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2010 at 15:29. Reason: Please preview before submitting, posts. Correction alignment. Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 11:57   #126
BHPian

OK. I can think of three living legends in terms of design and innovation.

Chris Bangle- for all his good looking and not ver good looking BMWs.
Ross Brawn - Scuderia Ferrari F1 domination and recently the Brawn GP and now MercGP
Adrian Newey- All those fragile-flying McLaren MercF1 cars and recently the RedBull Racing.

(names are in no particular order)
These guys have characters and it can be seen in their cars' DNA. The innovation, thought process and the level of dedication to make that 'perfect' car is jus amazing.

Ofcourse, there have been many guys in the past who've done well for the department. Bu for me now at this point of time, these three are the sheer geniuses!!!
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:46   #127
BHPian

Here is my list

1) Enzo Ferrari
2) Henry Ford
3) Ferrucio Lamborghini
4) Ratan Tata
5) Micheal Schumacher

Hats off to all of them......
Old 11th July 2010, 19:12   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Another father figure is the late Dr Bharat Ram (born 15/10/1914 and passed away 11/07/2007)Chairman, DCM and SRF.
Your most respected people in the motor industry-drbr.jpg
He was a keen golfer and played golf till he attained the age of 91 at the Delhi Golf Club.A frail figure he was a regular and also one of the country's best golfers. He loved driving his cars all by himself, till he was in his 80's.My friend had once spotted him on the Delhi-Dehradun highway in the 1980's driving his own car, to attend a function at Doon School.He was Chairman, Indian Airlines and also headed the FICCI.
His later life was not exactly very pleasant after the early 1980's predatory takeover bid of DCM by Swaraj Paul.Then later came the corporate split with his brothers and their companies.He served on innumerable government committees and wrote two books: Glimpses of Industrial India and From Istanbul to Vienna
His love for automobiles got registered late, in the autumn of his life, as industrial ventures.The venture DCM-Toyota (the first by Toyota to make LCV's) in the early 1980's went awry due to lack of demand and sales. His next venture into the automobile industry DCM-Daewoo, flopped in the early 21st century after the Daewoo chaebol was declared bankrupt.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th July 2010 at 19:13.
Old 21st July 2010, 04:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

In international level I admire Henry Ford. In India there few. Among them the top ones are Tatas and the T V S groups and thirdly the Bajaj group. It is all the family brought up the companies so it won't be nice to point out the present MDs. So let the credit go to the families and their ancestors who entered into this venture.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:19   #130
BHPian

I respect Sri. Ratan Tata the most in the whole world. Mr. Ratan Tata is a real patriot and he has the intentions of giving most of the Indians affordable motoring and transport and he has been successful to a great extent also. Moreover he is the one who acquired prestigious brands such as Jaguar and Land Rover and may be in the near future he will setup manufacturing facilities of those brands in India. So far as I know he never tries to corrupt anyone for his own gains. All in all a great personality and hats off to him.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:34   #131
BHPian

Someone who I'm very proud to have as a fellow Indian is Chetan Maini.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:47   #132
BHPian

I do not support him ,hate killing innocent people and hate his ideology.

Still I feel biggest ruler /politician influencing automobile is Hitler.

VW and Porche simply could not happen..

What is everyone's opinion?
Old 28th July 2010, 09:36   #133
BHPian

Respecting all people metioned I think following people too get their due
William S. Harley and Arthur Davidson For starting HD and Willi G Davidson for making it survive tough years.

Harley Earl of GM who started tailfin era,worthless fashion which I like.

And don't remember whether Ferdinand Piëch is mentioned ..

Ferdinand Piëch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is a grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, and son of Louise Piëch (the sister of Ferry Porsche).
Piëch was the winner of the award of Car Executive of the Century in 1999.[1]
Old 28th July 2010, 14:34   #134
BHPian

I am surprised that this thread does not list Taiichi Ohno - the founder of JIT (Toyota Production System).
His contributions in modern manufacturing are equal if not more significant than Ford's production line concept.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:20   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantwaghe View Post
I do not support him ,hate killing innocent people and hate his ideology.

Still I feel biggest ruler /politician influencing automobile is Hitler.

VW and Porche simply could not happen..

What is everyone's opinion?
Yes. He would've been a role model if only he didn't massacre people and preach racism.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks