Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the safest hatchback?
Palio 122 49.80%
U-VA 3 1.22%
Santro 3 1.22%
Getz 12 4.90%
800 3 1.22%
Alto 1 0.41%
Estilo 0 0%
Wagon R 0 0%
Swift 85 34.69%
Indica 16 6.53%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 10:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Had read somewhere in this forum, "More metal does not result in more safety, it all depends on how the car is designed".

No idea for me which car is best designed to minimally take the accidental effects.

If data's were provided to substantiate one's claim, it would give us clear picture.

PS:

Though I have not voted, I guess it has to be Swift. Not because of I own one, it's because of the features of ABS & Airbags.

Edit: If Fusion is given as option, I would choose Fusion over Swift. It's a gut feel

Last edited by Surprise : 20th February 2007 at 10:43.
Old 20th February 2007, 10:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Thats nice to know. I had heard a lot about these add-on options(ABS/airbags) on the Palio, but never come across one, even on this forum.

BTW, Why arent Fusion (with ABS), and Chevy SRV(ABS/airbag) part of this list. They would surely be more safer than either Palio or Swift.
Definetely, Fusion and SRV should be part of the list. Funny thing is SRV has the option of driver-side airbag and no ABS ! I doubt Fusion comes with ABS.

Anyway, my vote would go to Swift ZXi, which has airbags & ABS. Atleast it looks safe on paper !
Old 20th February 2007, 10:59   #33
BHPian

Non ABS/Airbags category - Palio

ABS/Airbags et all - Since new palios do not come with these safety features...it would be swift.

Check this link:European New Car Assessment Programme: Safety Ratings
There are quite a few surprises...Suzuki Baleno??

Rahul.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Had read somewhere in this forum, "More metal does not result in more safety, it all depends on how the car is designed".

No idea for me which car is best designed to minimally take the accidental effects.

If data's were provided to substantiate one's claim, it would give us clear picture.
But I dont think most of the above cars have NCAP ratings, and even if they did, it would be with ABS and airbags sold as standard kit outside India.
Old 20th February 2007, 11:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

anyday swift as it has many safety feature when compared to any hatch......like abs, airbag......
Old 20th February 2007, 11:43   #36
BHPian

PALIO for its tough build. Check out 5 or 6 year old Palios which have covered covered over 1 lack kms to believe!! From the heavy bonnet to the strong doors every thing is built to last really long.....forever....(ok, i am a bit biased)

PALIO
Old 20th February 2007, 11:47   #37
BHPian

according to me the palio perhaps is the safest putting plain structural strength into consideration.but the swift has airbags and abs,which make it a very safe car too(the new palios do not have these)the getz and the u-va are safe too.

being a palio owner,i vote for it.after all,owner bias is very important criteria!
Old 20th February 2007, 12:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Most of us here still believe (including me) that PALIO is still the safest hatchback on the Indian Roads. This for a car that's probably selling in the least nos amongst all other cars. Good to know that People just dont go in for the looks of the car these days but also consider the safety features as well. Now that we are talking about safety, though I am going a bit off topic, tell me honestly how many of us ask the Passengers in the rear seat to wear the seat belts? I am asking this because I ask my friends to wear it and though they make fun of me but finally wear it as the car doesnt move an inch without everyone with their belts on. People here just don't realize the importance of a seat belt. They wear it for the sake of their Wallet to avoid paying the fine but not for their LIFE. Howmany people actually know how to wear a seat belt?
Old 20th February 2007, 12:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
according to me the palio perhaps is the safest putting plain structural strength into consideration
Are you sure that "plain structural strength" is the safety criteria ? Did that also mean that ambassador is safest car in india ? Did you also mean that putting more strength in crumple zone will help the car taking the crash safely?
Old 20th February 2007, 12:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

i have voted for maruti 800, since i have not driven any other cars mentioned above.

i have literally ripped my dad's m800 and even after all that she is still strong. i have voted for m800 because of:

1. brakes seems to work pretty good (80->0, with downshifting/engine braking)
2. pretty hard to topple this car (u turning @40, with / without hand brake)
3. seat belts are pretty good.
4. comes with side impact beams (1998 dx)

on the negative side:
1. its very unsafe in case of front/rear collision. (no experience till now :) -> absence of ABS/airbags

ps: this is according to my personal driving experience. keeping aside m800, Fiat Palio looks / feels strong enough to absorb impacts, though it should come with both ABS and Airbags.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th February 2007 at 12:49.
Old 20th February 2007, 12:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Its swift followed by Palio. If palio had been given dual srs airbags i would have voted for palio..
Old 20th February 2007, 13:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Now that we are talking about safety, though I am going a bit off topic, tell me honestly how many of us ask the Passengers in the rear seat to wear the seat belts? I am asking this because I ask my friends to wear it and though they make fun of me but finally wear it as the car doesnt move an inch without everyone with their belts on. People here just don't realize the importance of a seat belt. They wear it for the sake of their Wallet to avoid paying the fine but not for their LIFE.
Very important point in current context!

If one does not wear seatbelt, Air-bags will do more harm than use. Just because Swift has air-bags, it doesn't make it safe till you wear the seat belt.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

On pure structural strngths, there is no beating the Palio. however, the palio does nopt come with any of the moderns safety features like ABS Airbags etc. Even in EURO NCAP ratings, cars that are accorded high ratings have the entire gamut of safety features in them. it is these features that give them their high ratings.

While Palio appears stronger than the swift, no one would claim the swift to be an unsafe car. And in the ZXI guise, it is probably the safest car in India under 10L.

one very important safety feature that has not been discussed here at all is collapsable steering wheel coupled with anti submarine seats- these are probable more crucial than even airbags in the event of a front on impact.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
one very important safety feature that has not been discussed here at all is collapsable steering wheel coupled with anti submarine seats- these are probable more crucial than even airbags in the event of a front on impact.
Aren't these standard features on all the cars? I know, Palio surely has it, but I guess all other cars would have these features too.
Old 20th February 2007, 13:43   #45
BHPian

Voted for Palio. Mine is a optional safety pack version with ABS, EBD and Airbag for the driver on the steering wheel. Though, there is a problem with Airbag equipped one, being the best safety tool in Indian sense i.e., the horn is very difficult to operate
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks