Team-BHP - Which is the safest hatchback in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Which is the safest hatchback in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21493-safest-hatchback-india.html)

Although, we are not the ones who can decide for sure who is the safest of all, but still we must have an opinion on the cars, who we think are safe or safer than others. We know which car is tinnier than the other.
The car that comes the last in the list, should see a boycott from Team BHP members...what say?? We are the 'informed/ aware' lot! At least we should not behave like the million others...who just for the sake of a few kpl more, are risking their lives.
Don't bring in the price funda...in my opinion...a used Indica is a better bet than a new 800. You must be seeing an Alto as my avtar...don't worry that will soon change. My next car will surely not be a tin can.
So, tell me guys...will you boycott the least safe car?? That means you will not buy it for yourself, your family and neither will you recommend one to others.
Please go ahead and vote.

Safest..ummm...I dont know, but the Swift ZXi comes with the most safety features. And a newer design to meet Euro norms too.

Undoubtly, the PALIO!

I'd think Palio is safer than others given the build quality and other parameters. The only problem is it does not come with ABS and Airbags. I think probably one model comes with them.

Initially palio was the safest hatch with the optional safety pack comprising of ABS,EBD,and driver side airbag.Without these,its still a tank but I guess the swift with ABS would be the safest of the lot.

Considering toppling, the one with lowest center of gravity :D

But otherwise, I consider Palio, Getz, Swift all as safe.

Do people know Indica/indigo is a crash tested car. Tata have bought crash testing facilities. It may not have undergone the EuroNCAP but it satisfies crash testing results.

Among the above, the Swift ZXi is the safest hatchback in India because it sports features like ABS and Airbags. Take the ZXi out of the equation and the Fiat Palio and my favourite, the Ford Fusion are clear winners.

Honestly speaking we don't have crash tests mandatory in India.
With new expressways opening and average traveling speeds increasing this should be looked at sooner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb
The car that comes the last in the list, should see a boycott from Team BHP members...what say?? We are the 'informed/ aware' lot! At least we should not behave like the million others...who just for the sake of a few kpl more, are risking their lives.

Suppose someone uses car with low safety rating only for city run abouts and his avarage traveling speed is not more than 40 kmph, whats wrong with it ?

Quote:

Don't bring in the price funda...in my opinion...a used Indica is a better bet than a new 800.

Old do not give satisfaction that a new car gives to its owner.

Quote:

You must be seeing an Alto as my avtar...don't worry that will soon change. My next car will surely not be a tin can.

Aaaha so you say Alto is tin can yet you opted for it instead of used Indica, right?

By the way in my opinion Alto is fairly safe car for city driving.

As for safe hatchback, well technically speaking about hatchback it has to be Skoda Octavia.

Good topic that you raised, ashutoshb. On what factors are these cars considered safe? SIAM/ARAI doesnt have that answer. This poll can be best intelligently answered when the IRDA establishes its Indian car safety rating agency, albeit for its insurance purposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 377067)
Don't bring in the price funda...in my opinion...a used Indica is a better bet than a new 800. You must be seeing an Alto as my avtar...don't worry that will soon change. My next car will surely not be a tin can.
So, tell me guys...will you boycott the least safe car?? That means you will not buy it for yourself, your family and neither will you recommend one to others.
Please go ahead and vote.

The Santro is a very safe car, contrary to perceptions. It would take *really* bad driving and/or criminally negligent maintenance to crash a Santro. Believe me, I have pushed this car to its limits under all kinds of condtions, including heavy rains with worn out tyres, etc., in my weekly Pune-Mumbai-Pune runs. It is a superb handler and that is why I consider it a very safe hatchback. I have no idea what it would take to topple a Santro -- it seems inconceivable to me.

As compared to an Indica, give me a Santro any day. I just do not want to get stranded at 10 pm on some desolate stretches of the Mumbai-Pune route. Plus I want a highly maneuverable car that will get me out of tight situations. That is much more important to me than a heavy car that can withstand crashes but is difficult to handle, say, in a skid.

Edit: If the Santro comes last in this vote, I am not about to abandon it. I will back my own experience rather than go by public opinion. Plus what is "safe" for one individual may be dangerous to another, depending on driving style. For example, I prefer the Santro's hydraulic power steering, even though others may find it over-sensitive at high speeds. But I like it that way. This is a highly technical issue that can only be decided by a panel of experts, rather than by a public vote.

Palio, all the way.........:thumbs up

Palio > Getz > Swift.

IMHO, of course. Having driven all 3, I'd prefer feel safer behind the Palio's wheel any day. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I drive a Palio...

Palio without a doubt.

Alto with seatbelts on is quite a safe car......thats my personal experience...:Frustrati