Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 08:45   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

While I totally agree with the views of the article, there is that proverbial other side of the coin as well. Yes one can buy a costlier car, but the rules of buying and being able to afford it apply to the expensive car as well.

We usually may not buy a costly car for the simple reason, that we have other important financial commitments in life. However even if we are debt free, we chose not to invest in the costlier product purely due to our DNA restricting it. This article is more to address that part of the equation. In other words, even if we decide to buy a car on an expanded budget, we should still be able to answer ourselves to the other financial equations which we will need to satisfy.
ampere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 10:09   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Despite one’s pious intentions when one buys a car, one gets used to it - and tends to replace cars at roughly the same time. Further, you may be happy replacing a Civic with a Superb, but will almost certainly buy an X3 when you replace the Superb. Hence for most people, buying a car one notch below what one can afford is probably the right decision.
Amazing perspective, something I didnt think of or read on the thread below.

I am not sure one can retain cars longer than one is used to. Someone who replaces his car every three years, will find it very difficult to retain a car for 10 years, he may stretch till 5 years, 7 years next time may be.

I start searching for a replacement every 18-24 months.

Hence stick to a strict regime of budget and pre-used route!
Old 11th November 2019, 10:27   #138
Team-BHP Support

Mine is always a 2 car garage. What I have been doing is keeping 1 car for 10 years and other for 5-6 years. That way the itch is scratched and you don't lose crazy money.

The 10 year old car has been the premium one used by dad and is usually the more reliable one.

It was first the Mitsubishi Lancer (2000-2010) and now the Corolla which is in it's 11th year.

During the 20 years the second car has been M800, Alto, Figo and now Ecosport. The Ecosport being the only to cross 6 years. From all the cars the Ecosport is the one that I am having the most difficulty in replacing now. I am looking at swapping the garage over a little and keeping the premium car for myself and keeping a less premium car for chauffeur duties for dad.

The only logical upgrade from the Ecopsort was the Compass Trailhawk since I need an auto box but the pricing is pure obnoxious and there's no crossover below 30L that is a proper upgrade. The only other option I can see is an Octavia but I am very skeptical on going back to a sedan.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 22:28   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ask me and I’ll keep going on & on. I know many 3rd-gen City owners (including so many BHPians) who didn't feel the need to “upgrade” to the 4th-gen City which offered little more than gizmos, in the name of improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have absolutely no intention of selling it. The more i use it the more i love it.

Gen 3 City is one heck of a vehicle and can be easily maintained well for a long time. Will surely have tears letting this one go whenever the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Even I have a 3rd gen facelifted City and just can't let that car go. It is may not have all the features of the 4th gen but it is for sure the better of the two. I have the 4th gen facelift as well and I'm pretty sure it won't age as gracefully as my 3rd gen, that's the reason why a lot of people are not selling their 3rd gen Citys.
I concur to the proclamations above.

A classic creation from Honda which is ever mesmerizing, enticing....ad infinitum!

Of all the piece of machines I've possessed, this one is the most enamored.
Attached Thumbnails
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-1.jpg  

metropolis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 00:53   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
We usually may not buy a costly car for the simple reason, that we have other important financial commitments in life. However even if we are debt free, we chose not to invest in the costlier product purely due to our DNA restricting it. This article is more to address that part of the equation.
True! The original post assumes that you will financially be capable of upgrading to a better car in 3 years. Most of us were able to, and hindsight is 20/20, but what if you weren't?

It's the inner grasshopper in us that makes us buy the cheaper car. If you got fired 3 years from now, or your business went South, having a cheaper, paid off car gives you the freedom from worrying about paying emis with money which simply isn't there, or from your corpus which you badly need for more important things.

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th November 2019 at 00:55.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:27   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Ecosport being the only to cross 6 years. From all the cars the Ecosport is the one that I am having the most difficulty in replacing now. ..there's no crossover below 30L that is a proper upgrade
Completely agree with you there - I have been looking to upgrade my second car (Ford Ecosport TDCI 2013) for over a year now within the 16-17 Lac on-road price budget. There is just simply nothing that would make for a reasonable upgrade even in the 2X price bracket. I have considered and even booked multiple new car launches, including Harrier, Hector and Seltos. However after test drives and pricing reveals, ended up canceling each time. Coming from the Ecosport, either the value was simply not there, the driving experience was not satisfactory or a key feature I am prioritizing - an Auto transmission in a Diesel CSUV - was not available. I am now hoping TATA launches the Harrier Auto in a mid-trim at a reasonable price with all essential features.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:58   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Completely agree with you there - I have been looking to upgrade my second car (Ford Ecosport TDCI 2013) for over a year now within the 16-17 Lac on-road price budget. There is just simply nothing that would make for a reasonable upgrade even in the 2X price bracket. I have considered and even booked multiple new car launches, including Harrier, Hector and Seltos. However after test drives and pricing reveals, ended up canceling each time. Coming from the Ecosport, either the value was simply not there, the driving experience was not satisfactory or a key feature I am prioritizing - an Auto transmission in a Diesel CSUV - was not available. I am now hoping TATA launches the Harrier Auto in a mid-trim at a reasonable price with all essential features.
Yes. Ecosport is such a capable vehicle, but still much behind in its segment in sales. I think Ford should exit this overpopulated and price conscious segment, and make Ecosport bigger by 10%. Also, provide one diesel auto combo. I will prefer it over Creta.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:50   #143
BHPian

That's a nice perspective - buy a better car and keep it for twice the duration. And tell you what, this thread takes some guilt off my conscience - cos I chose to buy a Compass although it was well over my affordable range.

I hope I would be able to keep it for 10 years. With the kind of vehicles they are dishing out these days, keeping the 'upgrade' itch at bay shouldn't be a hard task.
Old 12th November 2019, 16:30   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Thread summary: Buy a 'great' car and use it for 8 – 10 years instead of buying 'good' cars & replacing them every 5 years.
Completely agree and I follow these principles myself.

2002: pre-owned Zen VX
2011: Vento TDI

I am still on my second car in 21 years of driving (if I leave out my dad's car) and I still have no reason to upgrade except getting an automatic. Then again, I am in the market only for a pre-worshipped Jetta/Octavia/Tiguan, as I cannot see any other vehicle replacing my current car, unless I spend a boatload, for which I will wait.

I thought I was stupid to hold on for so long. Heartening to see I have a lot of friends here!

Last edited by nileshch : 12th November 2019 at 16:31.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 11:29   #145
BHPian

I totally agree with GTO's views:-

In 1996 I bought an Esteem VX, which I sold to upgrade to a Lancer GLXi in 2002.

I held the Lancer for >15 years and sold it to buy a Ford EcoSport in 2018.

The Lancer was a trouble free car, in 15 years I spent less than 2 Lakhs on 2 sets of tyres, one battery, minor repairs to suspension, one A/C fan & one fuel pump + the regular services.

I have a Passat Highline 2012 model and I do not feel the need to replace the car for another 3-4 years
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 12:31   #146
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree to GTO's wonderful article which is really an eye opener for many.

I really felt the depreciation which hit me hard when I sold my XUV500 after 5 years and only 40,000 on the odo.

Well but I always wanted a good 4x4 with some luxury and comfort on the highway. So had to enter Fortuner -Endeavour territory and finally bought the 3.2L 4x4 Endeavour. I intend to keep this for at least 10 years. The only worry being the resale after that considering depreciation, low sales of Ford and Ford-Mahindra joint venture. At present the resale Endeavour is in demand but that's obviously not going to be the story after 8 years down the line.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd November 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Spacing
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:52   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thread summary: Buy a 'great' car and use it for 8 – 10 years instead of buying 'good' cars & replacing them every 5 years.
Quoting GTO because it’s an old, much deliberated topic and we’ve discussed this many times in the past. At the same time, I’m sure he must be rolling on the ground laughing. And given a chance he’ll tell me enough is enough buddy, now get rid of her.

I’m from old school and believe if I look after properly, my machines will give me better service for a very long period of time.

I bought my Chevrolet Optra LT In 2004 March. I had no real reason to buy the car. It was an impulsive decision. I paid some 11.57lac to get it on the road. Amount was really big for me then (still is) and today at the fag end of 2019 I’m happy that I did something probably right.
Car hasn’t cover much in terms of mileage. Till date it has covered only 71k and that’s because I don’t get time to drive around much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
And one more thing - talk to your car, pat & stroke it, tell it how happy you are with its service.
Frankly, I do this no matter how abnormal it sounds. I’m really happy V.Narayan has pointed this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Holding on to any car, expensive or less so, for periods approaching 10 years or more, makes eminent financial sense.
I’ll go with this thought for sure. Only, I’ll add that it doesn’t have to be for financial reason only. If my car is giving me the right support after many years, why do need to change it?

Quote:
I would like to take a contrarian view on this statement. A superior (more expensive) car is not necessarily a great (or better) car. Often, our perception of what might be a great car is clouded by the vehicle's specifications on paper, recommendations from friends, usage, our need to be seen driving a particular vehicle (image), available garage/parking space, and multiple other factors. What I would consider a great car with whatever wisdom I have, is not necessarily a great car for someone else.
True and how!! For most here, Optra was a boring/not exciting car to drive. But that’s a personal choice as I see. What I expect from a car could be very different from someone who’s looking at blistering performance. 15 years down the line my car still feels tight. On ghat roads (yes, I’ve shifted to Dehradun from Bangalore) it gives me total pleasure and peace.

If I sell her now, how much I could expect? May be 50K at the most. Let her be with me rather than…

Few weeks ago moderator Jaggu and another friend came down to Dehradun. I went to pick them up from the airport. During a chai halt, Jaggu shot this with his new phone camera.

Thank you so much dear Jaggu.

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-optra2.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 22:02   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

I bought my Chevrolet Optra LT In 2004 March. I had no real reason to buy the car. It was an impulsive decision. I paid some 11.57lac to get it on the road. Amount was really big for me then (still is) and today at the fag end of 2019 I’m happy that I did something probably right.
——

Thank you so much dear Jaggu.

Attachment 1938069
And I have to tell you again and again that she is purfectly alright and not waste money on some new one

Thank you, glad you like the image and obviously you have done your magic!

On the topic, no brainer... if you buy new car keep it longer as long as you are average user. Other option for average to low usage folks, get a yummy used car.

If your running is very high, run it down till the car keeps you running back to your bank, the day it does... sell it! Be it a nano or a Rolls.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd November 2019 at 22:11. Reason: edited
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:21   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
... I *don't* agree that a high end car brings any more value-add in enhancing the ability to own for long times. With usual recommend maintenance, even a low end car can be happily owned for 9-10 years.

If at all, my recommendation would be to avoid a high end car if possible unless you have a strong reason to do otherwise, simply bcoz whether it's a low end or high end car, man being man, will anyway be tempted by "indulgence" factor to change the car after about 5 years. And if that happens, it's a bigger loss if you had been owning a high-end car till then.
The discussion at the following thread just substantiates my point:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ling-part.html

Agreed it could be a one-off, but still. What a miserable experience with the Merc, I feel sorry for the owner.

Last edited by vharihar : 28th November 2019 at 14:22.
Old 8th December 2019, 14:36   #150
BHPian

Well articulated GTO. The stories of your Civic and 530D buys have been seriously inspirational for me and I've always followed this over the last 10 years. Bought my last new car in June 2009 (Fiat Punto). Only sold it in December 2018 as it was approaching 10 years (stupid NGT rules). It was in perfect mechanical condition and cleared PUC in one go any given time even after 1.65 lac kms on the odo.

Since 2009, the chronology of car buys has been like:

1. June 2012 - Fiat Linea TJet - Nearly 30% off sticker price as it was June 2011 manufacturing (last batch of production before it was discontinued for a couple of years). Car dispatched from Pune factory yard (not one lying in a dealer yard or TD vehicle which were going for even heftier discounts). Status - still own it and it's going great guns and puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Will remain in garage for next 3-4 years at the very least.

2. October 2016 - 2013 Honda Brio VX AT - Picked it up at almost 50% off the sticker price (only 13k kms done and in pristine mechanical condition - some panels painted but that's part and parcel of driving in Delhi traffic). Was looking at a bare bones Maruti AMT when I started my search. Status - still own it and it does faithful duty as a daily driver for errands and is a fav of my Dad who finds it the most convenient due to its size).

3. December 2017 - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4x4 MT - Due to the bad company I keep, got into off-roading and picked this one up for literally one third of the sticker price (yes at a 66% discount). Put some money into it to make it mechanically perfect and it has been heavily modded into an off-road beast (all thanks to the moolah saved initially). Was looking at Jeep Compass at that time but it's barely enough 4x4 capability put me off. Status - weekend off-roading ride as well as long distance travel and expedition usage. Of course, it's still with me and will remain till NGT makes me part ways with it.

4. May 2019 - 2015 Mercedes CLA45 AMG 4MATIC - Now this was an impulse buy (I admit). Picked it up at 60% off its sticker price from a fellow T-BHPian. Pristine condition and after 6 months, I still can't find a single issue that I need to deal with (testament to us folks here taking care of their cars like their own kids). Daily driver for the most part (only AMG that can do this duty - I know it's a baby AMG, but still), and needless to say, it plasters a wide grin every single time I fire it up. Again, was looking at a new vRS or 330i when I chanced upon it right here in TBHP classifieds. Status - Intend to keep this for a long time, i.e. a minimum of 6-7 years (unless I give in to more temptation that is).

At the end, more power to us folks getting our hands on beautiful machines at a fraction of the price for a long time to come.

PS: I realize this post could go to the other thread on pre-owned cars as well. But hoping my experience awakens more folks to benefit further.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 8th December 2019 at 14:41.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed