Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 09:19   #46
BHPian

Re: October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Good month for the for the industry as far as sales goes, upward trend for most of the manufacturers as compared to last month.

Maruti is upbeat again with 8 cars in in top 10. As anticipated S-Presso (alto on a jack or call whatever you may) is here to stay and will lead the charts very soon.

Good numbers for Hyundai considering they have only 1 product in top 10, but decline in numbers of Creta is a worry for them and the new design (from the spy pics) doesn't seem inspiring.

With just a single product Kia is sitting nicely at 5th spot, will claim 3rd spot for sure with additional portfolio.

Toyota does knows how to earn, not bothered by market position it seems.

Good show by Renault at least they are trying to be relevant in the market, Kwid and Triber doing good for them.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:02   #47
BHPian

Toyota might have lost the 5th spot to Kia, but they should be quite happy seeing the numbers of the Camry and Vellfire.

Honda, on the other hand seems to have lost out on all fronts.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

While it has been a better off month for the industry in October, we must also keep in mind Diwali this year was in October while it was in November last year. I think November will again show a drop due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Sad to see a good car like EcoSport falling down in sales. :(
The Ecosport had it's best month since Jan 2019 !
Quote:
We know that Tata Motors report RETAIL numbers. So these counts are cars actually sold to customers I believe. Anyone else who reports RETAIL? Or all others are WHOLESALE? ...
I don't think Tata Motors is reporting retail numbers. Guenter Butschek has been recently vocal that the industry must move to retail reporting to give a better picture, but TML is still reporting wholesale numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav6683 View Post
...2 Mustangs sold in same month with one delivered on same day as my car's delivery. How come the figure for Mustang is 0???
Good point since the last Mustang dispatches were in May 2019, so the cars must have been in the yard for quite a while !
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:11   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The Ecosport had it's best month since Jan 2019 !
I meant it slid down in the list of SC-SUVs in relation to its peers. I always see it as a car that should be top 3 at least in the segment. It means its market share slid. I didn't mean sales volumes slid.
Quote:
I don't think Tata Motors is reporting retail numbers. Guenter Butschek has been recently vocal that the industry must move to retail reporting to give a better picture, but TML is still reporting wholesale numbers.
Nope - TML started reporting retail from this fiscal year to SIAM. Others are yet to follow.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Nope - TML started reporting retail from this fiscal year to SIAM. Others are yet to follow.
Hmm... all the press statements justify the drop in numbers due to the focus on retail and to reduce inventory which is why I am not sure the shift has happened yet.

See the comments even on the official release - https://www.tatamotors.com/press/tat...-october-2019/

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th November 2019 at 12:48.
Old 11th November 2019, 14:13   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This just in from the SIAM!

Quote:
Please find attached retail sales data for the month of October 2019 and April-October 2019 for your reference.
October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-annotation-20191111-141203.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 14:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This just in from the SIAM!

Attachment 1933533
Interesting. Following thoughts-

1. Dispatch is almost flat, but retail sales have increased significantly over October 2018.
2. Customers waited more this year before taking the plunge? Is it because of expectations of better deals, and clarity around BS6?
3. Or is it because last year, Diwali was in November 7th, so the festive sales were split over 2 months?
Old 11th November 2019, 21:08   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I thought that the Thar 700 was the final edition of the Thar in it's current avatar, as it could not meet the safety norms that came in from October. But we still see Mahindra producing Thars without airbags. I also see that the bolero has also not been updated to meet the pedestrian safety norms. What seems to be going on?
Off topic clarification :- The BNVSAP safety norms for new car model introductions have come into effect from 01/10/2019. For all cars (as the Ministry of Heavy Industry reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha dated 28.04.2016 says) meaning for older, existing car models the date of implementation of is wef 01/10/2020 for "Protection of pedestrians and other vulnerable road users in the event of a collision with a car" for all motor vehicles with GVW < 2500 Kg.

For all car models the mandatory BVSAP requirements now wef 01.10.2019 are :-
– Protection of driver with regards to steering column intrusion has been effected for all motor vehicles with GVW < 1500 Kg (Scorpio, Safari, Bolero etc are not covered)(Speed of impact – 50 kmph).
- Protection of the drivers and passengers in the event of an offset frontal collision @ 56 kmph is also effective for all motor vehicles with GVW < 2500 Kg. (Speed of impact – 56 kmph)

All Car models and LCV models category vehicles wef 01.10.2020
- Protection of the Occupants in the event
of a Lateral Collision (Speed of impact – 50 kmph)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th November 2019 at 21:17.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 21:55   #54
BHPian

KIA hit the nail on the head, it came in at the right time (Creta 4 years and no major change) the right pricing and product. KIA is not an unknown name to most of the buyers.
The Creta 2020 is coming in at the right time also as a refresh for existing owners completing 5 years. If the IX25 2020 version is coming here as the Creta 2020, Kia better make hay while the sun shines in my opinion.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:59   #55
BHPian

I am suspecting that the sales of the Alto might never recover with Indians preferring larger models like Swift/Dzire or even the Wagon-R. Even people who want a cheaper car would probably prefer a used version of these cars instead of buying an Alto. Also, given the low margins on these cheap cars, they probably won't survive that long either and we might have a time when a Swift would probably be the entry level car.

On another note, the Tiago is outselling the Amaze (which used to a compact hotseller). What's up Honda?
Old 12th November 2019, 10:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
KIA hit the nail on the head, it came in at the right time (Creta 4 years and no major change) the right pricing and product. KIA is not an unknown name to most of the buyers.
The Creta 2020 is coming in at the right time also as a refresh for existing owners completing 5 years. If the IX25 2020 version is coming here as the Creta 2020, Kia better make hay while the sun shines in my opinion.
KIA is on point for sure. But, in my opinion, the Seltos is anything but rightly priced for a C2 suv. The top end model breaches 20L+, which is just too much!
ridehard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:06   #57
BHPian

I am not being pessimist but I think there is a actual slowdown in the overall global market and Indians cannot stay immune to it.
The uptick in car sale might be a one off thing, for a actual growth the numbers have to remain robust for 3-4 months straight.
One more reason why I believe that things are things are turning from bad to worse is due to the cut in production of so many vehicle manufacturing companies to be slow this year and next year
Reference: https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/Inve...y/outlook.html
Old 12th November 2019, 14:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

We all talk about Honda, Toyota or even Tata Motors losing their way, but does anybody think that Mahindra & Mahindra, also needs to watch out for itself? It has an interesting portfolio of products, but they are not firing, and sales has been steadily declining even with new launches. It’s core competency segments are seeing more and more new competitors and M&M has not been able to cash in on the crossover and SUV boom. Considering that is the only body-type that they sell, M&M is in a fragile position.

Let’s look at their products:

1. Bolero – Cash cow, with an unbreakable hold in the rural/utility markets with little competition in sight. Suitably being updated to new crash-testing (according to them) and engine standards. M&M’s vast tractor selling network and commercial vehicles segment help in instilling confidence and brand trust.

2. Alturas G4 – Re-named Ssangyong Rexton in the Rs 35-lakh market full-size SUV market did not work. Dud.

3. KUV100 – Every OEM’s dream, to have a small crossover in their portfolio. Mahindra has one but it sells in the low 100s, dud!

4. Marazzo – Great product, good thinking behind it. Maybe a price issue, but it is being squeezed by MUVs which are cheaper and are more expensive than it. Sales started off strongly but it has been tapering down.

5. NuvoSport – dead

6. Scorpio – a successful product which sees no signs of flagging even at the end of its generation. Mahindra will have a problem though of how to position the replacement? How expensive/ urban or how cheap/rural will it be?

7. Thar – Lifestyle vehicle but will not bring the sales

8. Verito/Vibe – Might as well be dead

9. TUV300 – Dud.

10. XUV300 – Great product but another pricing problem. Gets beaten by the EcoSport in sales often.

11. XUV500 – Once a big seller, but now sales are flagging due to new competition and replacement. Again, Mahindra will have a problem in pricing and positioning the replacement.

12. Xylo – Dead

So they have a lot of disappointing products in their line-up when it comes to sales (But good cars). In my opinion, their problem is that they have too many products jostling in a narrow price brand. The booming crossover/SUV market is a Rs 10 lakh band, which starts from Rs 8 lakh and ends at Rs 18 lakh (ex-showroom). This segment is further divided into broadly 4 types of cars, the Brezza, the Seltos/Creta, the Harrier/Hector and the XUV500. But Mahindra has at least 10 products!

Mahindra’s way forward would be interesting because it sold their cars based on ruggedness before, but the demographic has changed and they want a Seltos-type stylish, feature packed, urban, soft-around the corners, jack-of-all-trades, monocoque, non-4x4, AT 5-seater SUV. Their other problem is the new competition from Kia, the Chinese and even Tata do not make Mahindra the automatic choice in this segment anymore, like they once were with, for eg, the XUV500.

What could be the game changer for Mahindra might be their absorption of Ford. Ford will bring in a lot of their small car/small suv and even electric platforms (which interestingly is expected to be an offshot of the MEB for some of the products). A joint Mahindra-Ford exclusive SUV for India like Escape, Puma etc could be successful.

Last edited by avishar : 12th November 2019 at 14:58.
avishar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 16:58   #59
BHPian

What is the share between Grand i10 and Grand i10NIOS. I haven't seen any NIOS version of i10 on the road till now. There seems to be a replacement for xcent named AURA and shares the NIOS platform/designs
Old 14th November 2019, 12:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Good point since the last Mustang dispatches were in May 2019, so the cars must have been in the yard for quite a while !
There were a Total of 3 Mustangs at Gautambudh Ford. Right now there is none. So all 3 sold out and he has ordered for more. So the figure may show up next month. Or basically when the Mustangs may be delivered in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed