Team-BHP - October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   October 2019 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/215376-october-2019-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.

There seems to be a general uptick in the sales numbers. Diwali effect? Probably but it's still good to see the industry recovering albeit slowly

Cheers!

Looks like the cyclical demand season is here, finally ! clap:

Festive months have always seen strong demand, it will be interesting to see the sales figures post December to understand if the slowdown is indeed over.

Good show by most manufacturers and a brilliant show by Kia. I think they have hit the right chords with the Indian audience. The Seltos has laid the foundation for the slew of products across segments slated to launch in India from the Kia stable. :thumbs up

Thanks for the detailed report.

Has Fiat shut shop in India? No sales for last 2 months of any car. No wonder the Patna showroom has shut down. Will Jeep follow suit?

XL-6 is selling more than Marazzo and BRV combined! Maruti has hit a sweet spot and has filled the gap perfectly. Someone known recently picked up an XL-6 over Ertiga, reason was that it's premium looking. Eeco is filling the gap left by Omni.

S-Presso is here to stay and it will definitely overthrow the Alto, sooner than anticipated. Although it needs better tyres, most of the common folk are not concerned with that. I've seen one with MGA alloys and I must admit, it was looking good. This car looks much better in person than in snaps, and I've not seen many advertisements in newspapers.

Nissan Kicks is kicking the Captur! Renault needs to get the new generation Duster soon.

Glanza is a hit, no doubts about it. I'm seeing many of them on road now. Another known person has gone for it over Baleno because it's a Toyota.

A good month for some manufacturers. I feel it's mostly due to the festival season.

The BR-V's sales numbers were the most noticeable item for me. I think its about time they pulled out this model. Not selling much at all. Could spare the assembly line for something else (which Honda will never bring at all!)

Interestingly - all of Tata's cars seem to be showing a good month on month increase in comparison with September. After the MG/KIA surge it seems the Harrier is stabilizing over 1200 again. Its good to see it selling at least near about XUV5OO. That should be good enough I think.

Good to see Nexon crossing 4k. Safety features taking priority for customers apparently.

Sad to see a good car like EcoSport falling down in sales. :(

We know that Tata Motors report RETAIL numbers. So these counts are cars actually sold to customers I believe. Anyone else who reports RETAIL? Or all others are WHOLESALE? If thats the case, it would be always a bit tricky to identify how TML exactly fared in comparison to peers. Not a big difference of course. Given today's inclination towards minimal inventory at dealerships, the wholesale & retail numbers don't have a huge variance I believe.

I hope the positive trend overall in the market continues & the bad times for auto-sector employees are subsiding...

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Here are some comments from a car dealership:

Quote:

The sentiments recorded from various dealers during Diwali conversations below.

Kia: Very very excited, riding on the success of the Seltos. Some dealers tried to encash on premiums, but were immediately handed strict warnings from the management. Introducing OTP based bookings.

The Carnival is pre-poned to most probably a launch at the Auto Expo; dealers to start receiving stocks by Jan end. They are confident to give a big fight to the Innova.
Compact SUV to be in by mid-2020.

Hyundai: Not very happy with the Seltos' success, started promoting online for the new Creta. Lots of communications to dealers to verbally promote the next-gen Creta coming in early 2020.

Renault: Very excited, riding on the Triber's success and recorded 60% growth over last year.

Skoda: 2020 would be dull, but preparing for project 2.0 for Kamiq and Karoq.

Nissan: All roads lead to a dead end, the new MD is the last and very thin hope. Hosted a Diwali dinner meet with a few dealerships. Was open to admit that he is not here for retirement. The new Redigo in March and Kicks CVT BS6 are coming up. Last is a Compact SUV by September 2020.

I am very surprised to see the Mahindra Nuvosport reporting factory dispatches, despite production being stopped more than a year back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...continued.html

If these were dispatches from old factory stock, intended for a retail customer (fleet or private, does not matter) I think the salesman who sold it deserves a HUGE prize!!

Few Points

1. Maruti has proven all the critics wrong with S-Presso. 10k+ figures and already in top 10 cars sold in the country. It looks like XL6 is also a success. Brezza has also made a comeback.

2. Grand I10 and Elite I20 are like Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli for Hyundai :D. Consistent performance. Creta has been hit by it's own cousin Seltos.

3. KIA is going strong with just 1 model in India.

4. Glanza is the 2nd best selling Toyota lol:

5. Jeep, Nissan, VW, Skoda, Honda and Ford are performing below average.

6. Kwid saved the Renault then, it's Triber now. Renault knows how to survive.

7. Out of top 10 cars sold last month,
Maruti: 8/10
Hyundai: 1/10
KIA: 1/10

Endeavour is slowly but steadily closing gap on Fortuner! Hyundai's biggest cash cow has taken a beating by whom! Hyundai will have to play it really well with Creta 2.0 if they are reclaim lost throne. End of the day Hyundai is selling nearly 20K premium compact SUV's against 10-12K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneCollector (Post 4689544)
Has Fiat shut shop in India? No sales for last 2 months of any car.

I hope not:Frustrati
Company with Brilliant Engineering, but pathetic Sales, marketing and After-sales. Despite all this, I wish/hope they survive, somehow

Quote:

Originally Posted by redCherry (Post 4689576)
I hope not
Company with Brilliant Engineering, but pathetic Sales, marketing and After-sales. Despite all this, I wish/hope they survive, somehow

Emotionally I agree. But how can the poor sales staff convince a customer to buy a 10 year old product (Punto/Linea) when absolutely nothing new is on the horizon even? So the brilliant engineering is not actually available to buy anymore for us.

Jeep brand's products are better & modern. And then killed by the pricing. Again - sales and service are not to blame IMO.