The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-6020815_.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-6020816_.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-6020820_.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-capture.png

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-03_15.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-06_15.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-07_14.jpg

Quote:
The powertrain line-up consists of a wide spread of petrol and diesel options. The base petrol model uses a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbocharged engine developing 108bhp, while there’s also a 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol with 148bhp, both of which utilise a six-speed manual gearbox sending drive to the front wheels.

Equip a seven-speed automatic gearbox on either of these models, however, and new e-TEC branded 48-volt mild hybrid assistance is also fitted. The setup consists of a 48-volt belt-driven starter motor and a small 48-volt lithium ion-battery, which stores energy recuperated under braking. The setup can assist the petrol engine with a small electric boost, while also enabling the new Octavia to coast with the engine completely off at speed on motorways, reducing engine load, CO2 emissions and improving fuel economy, though Skoda has yet to issue any firm figures.

A third petrol option exists in the form of the 187bhp 2.0-litre TSI four-cylinder model, equipped by default with a seven-speed automatic gearbox and all-wheel-drive. Skoda says it’s good for 0-62mph in 6.9 seconds, while top speed is 145mph.
Quote:
The diesel line-up consists entirely of four-cylinder 2.0-litre TDI options, with the base 114bhp car offered with a choice of a six-speed manual or a seven-speed automatic gearbox. Up a rung is a 148bhp model available with all-wheel-drive, while a 197bhp range-topper with standard all-wheel-drive completes the line-up.

The most interesting addition is the new Octavia iV, however, which is the first Octavia to be offered with a plug-in hybrid powertrain. A 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine combines with an electric motor to create a hybrid drivetrain with 201bhp and 350Nm torque.

The e-motor is fed by a lithium-ion battery pack 13kWh in capacity, while Skoda claims that the newcomer is capable of 34 miles on battery power alone according to WLTP testing. But again, no fuel economy figures have been published. A six-speed automatic gearbox is equipped, while Skoda claims that the Octavia iV will be wall-box friendly for faster recharges. It won’t be offered as a separate model either - this plug-in option will be available on all but the base S grade car and the off-road inspired Scout model.
Source:Launch

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th November 2019 at 00:12.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Exterior looks amazing with those sharp lines. But the interiors don't look as futuristic as the exterior. Even the features as shown in the second video don't look lot more compared to existing model. The interiors shown in the video are for the top end. Lower and mid variants may not come with two 10" screens.

I feel someone who buys existing 1.8 TSI will not lose much WRT interiors and features when the new model comes out and they get to brag about the 1.8 liters engine which may not be coming with the new car. It is similar to Honda City owners who don't see a great improvement when a new model City is released.

Last edited by ampere : 12th November 2019 at 06:45. Reason: back to back posts merged
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 06:56   #3
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Skoda Octavia spotted testing

My initial reaction was 'Looks Okay'. Nothing groundbreaking. I mean, the Octavia was always understated, but this seems a bit meh.

May look and feel different in person.

The interiors don't feel like much of an upgrade compared to the previous gen.

Current gen 1.8 TSI owners won't be missing out much I feel. Definitely not the ones who own a L&K.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 07:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

More details of the Octavia IV,

-Full LED Matrix headlights , while the traditional C-shaped signature tail lights are enhanced by dynamic indicators.

-The spacious and airy interior comes with all-new architecture, but remains faithful to the typical ŠKODA line, which perfectly combines functionality and aesthetics.

-The dashboard shape has been inspired by the characteristic face of ŠKODA cars and incorporates support for the hand so that it is easier for the driver to control the free-standing display

-The all-new OCTAVIA is the first ŠKODA to feature a head-up display.

-The DSG automatic transmission with a shift-by-wire system, which has made it possible to replace the selector lever with a small control module.

-The multifunction two-spoke steering wheel has also never been seen before.

- On-board entertainment is provided by third-generation infotainment systems, with the top-of-the-range version offering a 10-inch all-glass display.

-Efficient climate control is in the hands of the three-zone automatic air-conditioning.

Quote:
New safety features are another important area. Here, too, the all-new OCTAVIA has made great strides. It is the first ŠKODA model, for example, to offer Collision-Avoidance Assist, designed to make evasive steering around a sudden obstacle easier and more precise, Turn Assist, making left turns even safer (in left-hand-drive cars), and Exit Warning, alerting you if opening the door could cause a collision with a passing car or a cyclist. Another new feature, Local Traffic Information, can warn you about traffic risks on the road. The system can alert you, for example, to black ice on the road or to obstructions.
Quote:
There is plenty to choose from under the all-new OCTAVIA’s bonnet. Besides the enhanced petrol engines, which can be equipped with mild hybrid technology (mHEV) and new-generation Evo diesel engines, there is also a compressed natural gas (CNG) drive. The all-new OCTAVIA is even available as a plug-in hybrid.

And yes, y, RS and SCOUT derivatives will be launched, too.
The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-1.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-2.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-3.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-4.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-5.jpg

Source: ŠKODA

The elegant Octavia detailed in the first look video:

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th November 2019 at 07:27.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 08:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

As an existing Style+ owner, my initial thoughts:

1. The interior quality definitely looks a couple of notches above the current model.
2. These are pictures of the highest variant so what ultimately filters down to India is still conjecture. I hope the lower variants will have the smaller but still nice looking touch-screens
3. Definitely no 1.8 TSI. So globally, the Octavia will get the 1.5 TSI and best case, Skoda India will bring in the 2.0 TSI in the highest variant later.
4. vRS will be introduced globally only in 2020. So India will get it only in 2021.
5. Skoda will probably introduce the new Octavia around July/August - October 2020 timeframe at the earliest given the huge demand that will be there in EU for this.
6. Exteriors look nice but the sloping front is too low visually I feel. Lowers the road-presence of the car and does not look Teutonic at all.
7. Overall, a worthy replacement for my Octavia sometime in 2020/21!

Some more infographics:

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-octavia_en_dimensios_skoda_octavia.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-octavia_en_engines.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-octavia_en_highlights.jpg

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-octavia_en_interior.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 12th November 2019 at 19:19. Reason: Posts merged on request. Pictures inserted in-line.
itwasntme is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

Interesting to see that the 1.5L TSI comes with a mild hybrid as standard if you opt for the 7 speed DSG. IF you opt for the 6 speed MT then no mild hybrid.

Also, this pretty much confirms no 2.0L TSI for India. Since it will be only with AWD and most likely for Combi variants for trailer. Makes no sense for India.

The 1.5L TSI mild hybrid DSG 7 will be range topper.

Overall, the new car looks like a big upgrade in design and features but the focus is on connectivity and a lot more electronics now which is the trend:
- Other than base variant all models will get virtual cockpit. Top of the line gets heads up display.
- Electronic parking brake as standard. Shift by wire for the DSG is a first for Skoda.
- Connectivity such as seat and other settings getting uploaded to Skoda cloud and can be downloaded to any other Octavia. Not sure why this is needed unless you drive a fleet of Octavia's.

Is it just me or does rear quarter and side profile resemble the Toyota Camry a lot. Looks like this is the new trend in tail lamps design and huge front grills.

For someone who is owning the pre facelift Octavia this will be a worthy upgrade whereas anyone in the market for one now needs to decide if they want a 1.5L mild hybrid or the lusty 1.8L TSI. The price will probably now breach 30L for top spec variants when launched end of next year so if your budget is 25L, the current one is still a very good choice.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th November 2019 at 08:40.
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:18   #7
sud
BHPian

The pictures looks beautiful. From the DSG picture, looks like the triptronic mode with gear lever is going to be missed for someone like me who still can't stop using gear lever .

By any chance will they get the combi model to india?

Last edited by sud : 12th November 2019 at 09:24.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Am sure it will be oozing quality and gorgeousness when seen in person. Just the nose is a little meek and bonnet looks to come down like in a BMW. They should have made the bottom of the steering lose the steel ring. Looks odd like the spoke was removed later. The bezel on the touchscreen reminds me of the Marutis !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

That is indeed a very good looking car – almost like back to basics.
The grille looks a bit confused though!

Hope they offer all-black interiors for India this time around.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:03   #10
BANNED

2020 Skoda Octavia 4th gen model unveiled

Quote:
Skoda’s global bestseller, the Octavia, has been redesigned for its fourth generation, bringing in a range of new technology and the model’s first plug-in hybrid.

Skoda calls the Octavia its “heart and engine” – more than six million have been produced since 1996 – and the new Mk4 version is said to build on the existing car’s strengths with more interior space, better functionality and higher levels of safety and comfort. It’ll go on sale in sedan and estate forms in the second half of 2020, with customer deliveries starting soon after. India will get the sedan body style only, with a market launch planned within 2020.
Source: Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112101704_skodaoctavia1.jpg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112101704_skodaoctavia2.jpg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112101704_skodaoctaviainterior.jpg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20191112101705_skodaoctaviainterior2.jpg  

wheelguy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always looked forward to Skoda's Octavia launches. It has always been one of the most well rounded sedans on the market. Wonderful executive looks + solid Germanic looks, powerful TSI and TDI engines, quick shifting DSGs, sporty handling and good high speed manners all packed in one excellent package.

On the new Octavia
  • The design doesn't wow immediately like last gen did when launched. But I am sure it will grow on us. It looks chiseled and modern with all those flashy LEDs and what not! The swooping bonnet and 3D effect grille reminds me of the F30 3 series!
  • The lack of powerful mainstream petrol and diesel engines will surely reduce the fan following for this car and this I feel is the biggest miss. This will become another Corolla, or maybe VRS sales will hit an all time high!
  • Interiors seem to be up on quality, but the design is a bit uninspiring. Beige will look worse.
  • Electronic parking brake is fine, but why one earth have they given that switch like gear lever?!!
  • Added electronic complexity to the DSG gives me the chills!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th November 2019 at 11:21.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is it just me or does rear quarter and side profile resemble the Toyota Camry a lot. Looks like this is the new trend in tail lamps design and huge front grills.
I think it looks like the Ciaz, especially the front, rear, and the alloy wheels
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't this look inspired by a 3 series ?
I love it and its definitely going to be on my radar when its launched in 2020 in India.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:31   #14
BHPian

re: The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021

Don't like the stance on this one... Maybe because of the wheels.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh that’s one beauty out there! Hope VW AG group head doesn’t get miffed with Skoda designer or the head as this ones going to eat up sales of its superior cousins. I won’t even look at AUDI / VW cars at all. Superb ate up Passat & A4 to an extent but this ones going to follow the same streak as I feel.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed