Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2020, 12:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
New Skoda Octavia spied fully undisguised in India. Skoda has started testing the all-new Octavia in India.
Looks very BMW 6 Series GT, but I’m not sure that’s something I like. The drooping nose combined with a long bonnet and short boot aren’t to my immediate liking. Also, I think this needs skirts to beef up the running board.

The article says it will be available with the 2.0 TSi at launch along with the 1.5 - options 👍🏾
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 12:57   #137
Senior - BHPian

By the looks of it it seems to miss the LED Matrix headlamps. Also doesn't have the electric boot lifter as per the second image. Although its a test mule but I sincerely hope Skoda adds the necessary upgrades to this car and make it stand out from the Superb's variants. If you expect the top spec L&K to be close to 26.xx Lakh ex-showroom, the Superb Sportline will be in close range with discounts. A Superb Sportline is also seen along side it in the tests are they benchmarking it against its own sibling
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 14:39   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
By the looks of it it seems to miss the LED Matrix headlamps. Also doesn't have the electric boot lifter as per the second image. Although its a test mule but I sincerely hope Skoda adds the necessary upgrades to this car and make it stand out from the Superb's variants. If you expect the top spec L&K to be close to 26.xx Lakh ex-showroom, the Superb Sportline will be in close range with discounts. A Superb Sportline is also seen along side it in the tests are they benchmarking it against its own sibling
The article says 20-25 lakhs. Same folks said it could be priced at 29.99L for top-end 2L TSI. Guess price discovery mode is ON. Nevertheless, 2021 will have a bunch of new options, and given that 2020 will have good discounts for current cars on offer.
Old 24th July 2020, 15:55   #139
Team-BHP Support

I was watching the Mat Watson review of the new Octavia, and my 12 year old girl's question - is that a Kia? The car looks great inside out but with that grille, it lost a bit of identity.
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 16:21   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The article says it will be available with the 2.0 TSi at launch along with the 1.5 - options ����
This would be a very pleasant surprise but I seriously doubt this will be the case.

The 2L TSI is not available internationally in the sedan version. It is only announced in the estate version. Secondly even in the estate version it is not yet on sale, only announced. Plus if you want the 2L TSI you get only estate variant with AWD and DSG. There is no 2L TSI 2WD DSG as of now.

This rules out the 2L TSI for India at launch for sure.

The only way to get an Octavia 2L TSI, 2WD DSG is the recently launched vRS 245 variant.

So my guess is this will be only 1.5L TSI at launch with mid to end 2021 having the vRS 245 as CBU for the same 36L ex showroom.

The Superb Sportline is 29.99L and the Karoq is 24.99L.

The Octavia should ideally be below the Karoq and only way they can do this is to get 1.5L TSI motor.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th July 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Karoq not Karow!
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:26   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This would be a very pleasant surprise but I seriously doubt this will be the case.

The 2L TSI is not available internationally in the sedan version. It is only announced in the estate version. Secondly even in the estate version it is not yet on sale, only announced. Plus if you want the 2L TSI you get only estate variant with AWD and DSG. There is no 2L TSI 2WD DSG as of now.

This rules out the 2L TSI for India at launch for sure.

The only way to get an Octavia 2L TSI, 2WD DSG is the recently launched vRS 245 variant.

So my guess is this will be only 1.5L TSI at launch with mid to end 2021 having the vRS 245 as CBU for the same 36L ex showroom.

The Superb Sportline is 29.99L and the Karow is 24.99L.

The Octavia should ideally be below the Karoq and only way they can do this is to get 1.5L TSI motor.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-news-amp/covid-19-impact-new-skoda-octavia-india-launch-likely-to-be-pushed-to-2021-416944

But according to this report in Autocar, it says they received word of the 2.0 tsi from Zac Hollis himself.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th July 2020 at 18:40. Reason: typo
Old 24th July 2020, 18:43   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-news-amp/covid-19-impact-new-skoda-octavia-india-launch-likely-to-be-pushed-to-2021-416944

But according to this report in Autocar, it says they received word of the 2.0 tsi from Zac Hollis himself.
Zac is into marketing and I'm pretty sure exact engine specs were not clear.

They can't bring a combination that doesn't exist anywhere in the world since they select a kit of another country and get that to India.

For example the vRS 245 is Malta spec. I believe the Karoq is from Romania.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:57   #143
BHPian

Quote:

They can't bring a combination that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world since they select a kit of another country and get that to India.

Like you said 190hp 2.0 tsi is available till now only on the estate in 4wd form. But as Zac is the director of Skoda I thought his word will be accurate and maybe it’s going to be the version which arrives here. Anyway hoping for the best.
Old 24th July 2020, 19:17   #144
BHPian

Quote:

They can't bring a combination that doesn't exist anywhere in the world since they select a kit of another country and get that to India.

2.0l TSI in octavia in India is far fetched for sure. The market is not ripe for this engine due to slowdown being so evident. However, "Zac is in Marketing" and might not know the details is also far fetched. He could have erred in saying so, but to question him because he is a marketeer does not make sense also. He is the chief for Skoda India after all.
Old 24th July 2020, 19:28   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
2.0l TSI in octavia in India is far fetched for sure. The market is not ripe for this engine due to slowdown being so evident. However, "Zac is in Marketing" and might not know the details is also far fetched. He could have erred in saying so, but to question him because he is a marketeer does not make sense also. He is the chief for Skoda India after all.
I am not doubting him but merely stating that he does not have to be accurate and confirm anything to a media channel 1 year before launch. He is into marketing and he is very good at it so he is smart enough to not say something that will go down as negative for one of his products even before the car is launched. As sales and marketing you need to keep positive hype about your bread and butter upcoming product not put it down before launch.

He can always say we are looking at 2.0L TSI engine for India and in the end, at launch say the 1.5L TSI made more sense.

As a marketing guy you know that you are going to get an engine which is lesser capacity and lower on power. Will you willingly reveal that to the media and customers online or wait for the right time to give details at launch time to have marketing and sales plan in place.

PS: I have met him and have had interactions with him. He's awesome to talk to and a proper sales and marketing guy.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th July 2020 at 19:29.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 12:23   #146
BHPian

The present octavia is very handsome in my opinion.

The new one seems to have a Kia/Hyundai design language which is not a bad thing but it doesn't immediately identify as the Skoda we are used to.
Old 25th July 2020, 12:38   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
The new one seems to have a Kia/Hyundai design language which is not a bad thing but it doesn't immediately identify as the Skoda we are used to.
Well, The Korean's were often get criticised for their attempts to make your care look more European. It's typical European design language.
Old 25th July 2020, 22:21   #148
BHPian

I think it looks fabulous. BMW aught to learn how to ‘lean skin’ the rear ( post c pillar) looks of their GT models from the Octavia. All the Octavia generations have had excellent notchbacks rears unlike the bulbous looks of the BMW GTs.
Old 25th July 2020, 22:38   #149
BHPian

The front end is SO KIA K5 (optima). Actually, the Kia looks better.
Old 26th July 2020, 02:44   #150
BHPian

I think Karoq looks better than this new Octavia. I prefer it’s headlamps and alloys along with the front grill (new grill looks like a human mouth wide open IMO).
Talking about 1.5 TSI which is likely to come to India, it does 0-100 in Around 8.4 Seconds (shows foreign tests). So it’ll be quicker than in the Karoq (as Karoq is heavier and SUV, so aero doesn’t help it either).
Overall, it’ll be a nice buy if looking for a sedan (although it’ll definitely be compared to it’s SUV cousin Karoq which sits in the same price bracket).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks