Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 17:09   #151
VRJ
BHPian

Re: The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This would be a very pleasant surprise but I seriously doubt this will be the case.

The 2L TSI is not available internationally in the sedan version. It is only announced in the estate version. Secondly even in the estate version it is not yet on sale, only announced. Plus if you want the 2L TSI you get only estate variant with AWD and DSG. There is no 2L TSI 2WD DSG as of now.

This rules out the 2L TSI for India at launch for sure.

The Octavia should ideally be below the Karoq and only way they can do this is to get 1.5L TSI motor.
As the Octavia is a CKD, why can't they swap the 1.5 with the 2.0 before sending it to India? As you mentioned that this combination is not available elsewhere, however, this shouldn't be a hindrance as the car is not a CBU and they can switch parts before shipping it to India (assuming they can).

The Octavia stood out from the rest of the segment because of it's lovely engine. Who doesn't love the 1.8 TSI?. So, why would Skoda hurt their loyal fan base? If the 2.0 is not launched, they would be making the same mistake that Ford did with it's Endeavour. None of the Endy fans were pleased with the downsizing of the engine. My guess would be that they would bring in the 1.5 MT (like the 1.4 MT) and price it below Karoq and the style variant with the 2.0 AT would be priced at par with Karoq and the L&K would be priced a lakh or two above the Karoq. A 1.5 AT would be a great option as well. I'm sure you know better, I'm just guessing.

Cheers!
Old 26th July 2020, 18:29   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
As the Octavia is a CKD, why can't they swap the 1.5 with the 2.0 before sending it to India? As you mentioned that this combination is not available elsewhere, however, this shouldn't be a hindrance as the car is not a CBU and they can switch parts before shipping it to India (assuming they can).
It doesn't really work that way. When the product is developed internationally it has been tested and designed to work with those engines.

It is not as simple taking any engine and swapping it for India.

What they do is look at combinations available and select from that what can work for India. They can't create a new spec for India that easily that too only for 100 cars a month market here.

If they do it has to be a brand new global variant applicable for all countries.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 19:51   #153
BHPian

Is it just me or the front grill of the next gen Octavia resembles the Kia global grill design big time? The resemblance is uncanny.
Attached Thumbnails
The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-04d1186444ee4ff4b4d8a1eab24e0caa.jpeg  

ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 22:25   #154
Senior - BHPian

Looks is polarizing for sure. I’m neither liking it nor hating it. Current gen is better than the new one it replaces.

Rear portion reminds me of Volvo V sedan. I don’t remember the exact model. Should be the V40 that has an identical rear to this model?
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 00:23   #155
BHPian

This one looks really nice IMO. The current one really made me not like it, especially the bi-headlamp setup.

Clean lines. Audi-esque headlamps. Quirky steering wheel and a much better looking rear end. This should come in with more tech than the Superb. I would love to pick up a diesel in this one a year or two from now.
Old 28th July 2020, 18:26   #156
BHPian

Bit of a crude attempt but I feel with a bmw grill this looks better than the 2 series.
Attached Thumbnails
The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-3723cdb34b0549e39389a07630fe6703.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:11   #157
BHPian

Wonderful to see the New Octavia being tested in India. The one with 2.0 lt. engine would be the one to have for sure !! With the current downturn in the economy, there was always the possibility that it may have got delayed even more. It's quite possible that initially the company may have brought in the 1.5 litre spec. for testing and later could bring in the 2.0 Litre one.

The car looks beautiful from both from Inside and outside and the top of the line version would have all the bells and whistles. In all probability it should come with the DQ381 wet clutch DSG on the 2.lt. version & lay to rest all fears of the infamous DQ200, although the latter's reliability has improved considerably over the last few years and still does duty on the Karoq & the T-Roc.

If I had to nitpick on the new Octavia, it would be the front grill which may take a while to get used to... maybe it looks better in person as compared to the pics. I for one, simply love the front facia of the 3rd gen. face lifted model with its quad lamp set-up. It's got its own unique character styling & just stands apart from the crowd.

The old Octavia 1.8TSI L&K had an ex-showroom price of 23.60 Lacs translating to 28.19 lacs OTR in Delhi. With the rupee having depreciated by almost 10% in the last 10-12 months against the Greenback, this would translate to an ex-showroom price of around 25- 25.5 lacs today. Add to it new technology, a bigger engine, a more expensive DSG and a higher levels of interior trim... this could all translate to an ex-showroom price of 28L for the new top-end model. This is actually not bad considering the Karoq has been launched at 25L.

I actually could have waited for a year for the new updated model , but went ahead & picked up the 1.8TSI L&K in Jan. this year as they had good discounts going on in Dec.& Jan. and I found the existing model to be still extremely appealing. I am happy with my purchase and quite satisfied with the car, so would strongly recommend it to everyone waiting for the new model or sitting on the fence. This would be the one to really have rather than going for the luxury brands which cost well north of 50L.
I am just pasting the price list of the 3rd gen. model from Dec/Jan. just for everyone's handy reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Octavia - Delhi.pdf (39.9 KB, 351 views)
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

First drive review on UK roads from Autocar UK. Only irritant can be the relatively unrefined torsion beam suspension for the lower variants. Looks like only the 2.0 TDI & TSI will get the lovely multilink ones, which is a shame really for a 2021 vehicle.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2020-uk-review
Old 9th August 2020, 02:55   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
The one with 2.0 lt. engine would be the one to have for sure !!
2.0 TSI won’t come to India most probably (as it’ll make octavia close to superb sportline price of 30L ex showroom).
Also, Octavia has always been placed below Karoq (see international pricing of any country). So it would make sense for SKODA to do the same in India (they didn’t even bring 2.0 TSI trim of Karoq, although it’s available outside).
Only Octavia RS trim will get 2.0 TSI, rest will get 1.5 TSI only (as in India we get Octavia Hatch, not estate model. But 2.0 TSI only comes in estate Octavia). It’s highly unlikely SKODA will make 2.0 TSI Octavia hatch (Non RS) just for India.

I hope this info helps. Let’s see and hope for the best
Old 9th August 2020, 15:09   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Oomphy View Post
2.0 TSI won’t come to India most probably (as it’ll make octavia close to superb sportline price of 30L ex showroom).
Also, Octavia has always been placed below Karoq (see international pricing of any country). So it would make sense for SKODA to do the same in India (they didn’t even bring 2.0 TSI trim of Karoq, although it’s available outside).
Only Octavia RS trim will get 2.0 TSI, rest will get 1.5 TSI only (as in India we get Octavia Hatch, not estate model. But 2.0 TSI only comes in estate Octavia). It’s highly unlikely SKODA will make 2.0 TSI Octavia hatch (Non RS) just for India.

I hope this info helps. Let’s see and hope for the best
I don't think 2.0 TSI will be offered in the regular Octavia lineup anywhere in the world except vRS and hybrid variants. The regular lineup both hatchback and estate get only 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI petrol engines.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:46   #161
BHPian

The launch of the 4th-gen Octavia is further delayed.

Source : Motorbeam
akshay_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:22   #162
BHPian

To my knowledge, the 2021 would come with 1.5 tsi engine in base or rider trims with manual transmission. Mid and top trims would come with a 2.0 tsi with DSG.
Old 14th September 2020, 18:59   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid and natural gas: new power-train variants for the ŠKODA OCTAVIA.

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-octavia_family_sme1440x961.jpg

>Three alternative power-trains available for the bestseller in the ŠKODA model range: plug in hybrid, mild hybrid and natural gas

>Fourth-generation OCTAVIA boasts innovative assistance systems and supreme active and passive safety

> Progressive infotainment, built-in eSIM and comprehensive connectivity backed by online data

Quote:
Available with an efficient petrol or diesel engine, or one of three alternative powertrains, the new-generation OCTAVIA is also significantly more sustainable. The OCTAVIA e-TEC is the first ever ŠKODA to feature mild hybrid technology. The OCTAVIA iV and the sporty OCTAVIA RS iV are modern plug-in hybrids and the OCTAVIA G-TEC is designed to run on eco-friendly natural gas (CNG). Thanks to the three sustainable powertrain variants, the new OCTAVIA’s CO₂ emissions have been considerably reduced.
Quote:
The OCTAVIA offers a choice of three infotainment systems from the latest generation with screens measuring between 8.25 and 10 inches. Thanks to a built-in eSIM, the vehicle is always online – thus enabling the use of new ŠKODA Connect online services.
Source: ŠKODA
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 05:43   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Full reviews of the Octavia hatch & vRS iV.

Sadly, no chance whatsoever of a Octavia with the 190 hp 2.0 TSI, only 1.5 TSI with 148 hp.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/...iv-2020-review
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:05   #165
BHPian

The MK 4 Octavia has been spied yet again testing in India.

Link - https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...rly2021/39780/
Attached Thumbnails
The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-zwnewocty4_720x540.jpeg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-zwnewocty3_720x540.jpeg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-zwnewocty1_720x540.jpeg  

The 4th-gen Skoda Octavia. EDIT: India launch pushed to 2021-zwnewocty2_720x540.jpeg  

Octy17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks