Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 07:59   #271
BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

MGs pricing has been on the VFM side given the way MG priced the Hector vs the likes of the competition, MG gave the market a Compass rival at a mid Creta price point.

The 5 variants for the Gloster starting from 4x2 163ps 7 seater Super variant to the 4x4 218ps 6 seater Saavy variant will cover a large price band.

The entry 4x2 163ps 7 seat super variant with a black part fabric interior without sunroof will easily be a desirable alternative to the van like carnival and might start at 31-33L OTR.

The top end Saavy variant has sufficient differentiation with a 218ps 4x4 Borg Warner transfer case, massage seats etc and is likely to top out at 43-44L OTR.

While the sales guys expect this pricing, MG could surprise us in either direction.

Still whether the Indian customer will spend 40 big ones on an MG is an open question especially considering the market response to the Carnival
Old 26th September 2020, 08:03   #272
BHPian

Just now watched Powerdrift video on MG Gloster. I'm simply amazed by the product itself. In terms of looks, performance and features it stands out from Fortuner and Endeavour. This vehicle looks huge. I'd love to see the monopoly by fortuner to be broken, so that Toyota takes Indian market seriously and introduce more products, features at realistic price point.

Although I'm against Chinese govt for the tensions along LAC and corona virus, MG being from SAIC group which is owned by Chinese govt, I'd like to appreciate MG Gloster as a product. I really wish these tensions between India and China ease up and both countries come to a friendly agreement soon, so that more people can enjoy MG cars without any fear of Indian government banning it in future, so that the customers can drive in peace of mind without worrying about future availability of spares and service.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:22   #273
BHPian

The design is so intimidating that the persons driving the hatchbacks in front of it are surely going to feel GLOSTERophobic the moment they see it approaching in their IRVMs.
Fulcrum is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:18   #274
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After driving the Thar (check my report here) and reading some reviews of others, I have realised that many other media don't have a clue of how to gauge ride & handling, or intentionally tone things down.

Wait for our review, is all I can say.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Autocar is predicting 35L ex showroom for the top end 'Savvy' variant. If this is true, then i would say tough days ahead for Ford & Toyota !!!
I would say it will be much cheaper, because the top most variant of Gloster ( in China it is named as Maxus D90 )retails at 44% cheaper than Endeavour ( Everest in China). So they have a 44% runway behind Endeavour in India. I have put the calculation in the same thread ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:37   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After driving the Thar (check my report here) and reading some reviews of others, I have realised that many other media don't have a clue of how to gauge ride & handling, or intentionally tone things down.

Wait for our review, is all I can say.
Have you guys driven the Gloster? A small summary of your take will be very welcome.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 11:48   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw one being tested on the roads in Bangalore yesterday, it looked bigger than the 40L SUVs as far as I could see.
Old 26th September 2020, 12:09   #278
BHPian

The looks still hasn't grown on me, lacks a macho feel somehow.

But featurewise the car is great and I really hope that the mechanicals are strong and reliable enough for Indian condition.

It would be great if they start the pricing just under 30 lakh or somewhere around it. Am sure even with that price MG will be selling this at profit as the R&D cost and such things are already recovered from various other countries under various brand names.

Come on MG, market your brand like a VFM brand like how you do in other countries.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:23   #279
Senior - BHPian

The Gloster has hit value for money on the head and then some! After watch a couple of reviews I feel that it has literally given the current incumbents some serious thinking to do.

The interiors have oodles of room and I would say look much more classier than the Hector. Yes expected but I was afraid they would put some flashy, corny design elements in.

Even with all the seats up luggage room looks acceptable. And with features like ADAS it's pulled itself upto a class above.

The exterior I feel looks good and more or less balanced design wise. However someone has gone to town with the badges. BRIT SPORT - seriously, what are they smoking? And the plethora of badges on the tailgate with the Gloster lettering that looks a couple of sizes too big. I guess this is one car where debadging is highly recommended.

All said though unless someone is really looking for that SUV bodystyle and 4WD the Carnival still had my vote as a 7 seater.

I think the Fortuner may lose its spot or at least have some tough competition.

Drive on,
Shibi

Last edited by shibujp : 26th September 2020 at 12:24.
Old 26th September 2020, 13:13   #280
BHPian

This is going to give some fair competition to not only the Toyotas and Kia's but also our folks from Autocar and Carandbike. This piece has upped the standards of new launches apart from the video production and presentation. Well, True effort in the right direction at these challenging times for MG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Gloster launch today. Digital Launch starts at 11:30 IST.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WtKgmwfqNjI
Old 26th September 2020, 14:13   #281
BHPian

Looks are subjective but feature list is very good. The brown leather interior, quilted looks very premium.

Question on automatic braking - Would love to hear some opinion on this. How useful / practical is this feature in our Indian road conditions and how reliable is it?

Last edited by Sheel : 26th September 2020 at 17:23. Reason: break = brake.
Old 26th September 2020, 16:07   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Autocar claims that the Gloster has best in class ride and handling as well as refinement. That's a first for an MG.
Isn't that a contradicting statement? A car can't have best 'Ride' and 'Handling' at the same time. It can have the 'best ride' but a compromised handling, or the other way. Or they can say that a car has a 'best balance' of ride and handling (which means 'most acceptable compromise' on both fronts).
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 16:45   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Isn't that a contradicting statement? A car can't have best 'Ride' and 'Handling' at the same time. It can have the 'best ride' but a compromised handling, or the other way. Or they can say that a car has a 'best balance' of ride and handling (which means 'most acceptable compromise' on both fronts).

The car has a really soft suspension as seen in the videos, there is a lot of roll in the corners as confirmed by the reviewers. It is in no way best-in-class ride and handing!

Endeavour: Best balance of ride and handling
Fortuner: Very stiff suspension leading to bad ride quality but definitely best-in-class handling.
MU-X: Too soft so ride is excellent.
Gloster: Most probably same case as the MU-X.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 18:29   #284
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the first comparo on youtube for the Gloster.

Gloster aims to decimate the competition.

07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 19:14   #285
BHPian

The Gloster has started to arrive at the showrooms. We visited the nearby MG showroom and was able to check out a 6 seater Sharp variant in white color.

The car is mammoth in size, especially in white. Was impressed with the quality and feels very premium. The sharp variant itself appears to be very well equipped but it skips out on the following
- ADAS
- Electric boot close
- Auto park
- Massage function

Test drive isn't available yet.
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20200926_163556.jpg  

clementj is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks