Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2019, 07:20   #16
BHPian

re: Scoop! MG Gloster SUV spotted in India - To rival Fortuner & Endeavour

I am going to do a bit of wild guessing here. MG has given an Innova sized SUV at almost Creta prices with the Hector. Can they follow the same formula and give the Maxus at a Compass-Tucson price range? That would make the engine issue irrelevant to a large extent, wouldn't it? After all, Honda CR-V sells a 120 bhp 1.6 diesel for 40L OTR!
octane_100 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
A tailgate mounted spare would really help:

What does the safety norms say about tailgate mounted spares? I cannot recall any recent SUV launching with a spare on the boot door and thus I suspect it has got something to do with safety norms. Case in point is the Ford Ecosport doing away with the tailgate mounted spare in markets outside India.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Found some good news. Maxxus D90 is available in Australia as LDV D90, and is ANCAP 5-star rated. Full report attached here - original.pdf

In Australia, it is priced from $35,990 to $43,990 whereas the Fortuner is priced between $51,102 to $64,165. Now, hopefully - MG can create some pricing magic in the Indian market as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2019 at 11:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think so far in India, no SUV has taken on the Fortuner and lived to tell the tale I think the MG SUV can take sales away from other manufacturers, but I am sceptical about it taking significant sales away from the Fortuner.
Hmm, Endeavour is still here and doing real decent numbers for a non- Toyota 40 lac SUV. No suv though will take full numbers from Toyota, such is the brand image.
Avinash_R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 12:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Hmm, Endeavour is still here and doing real decent numbers for a non- Toyota 40 lac SUV. No suv though will take full numbers from Toyota, such is the brand image.
Absolutely agreed Toyota will still own the crown but will face tough competition from MG. Creta did own the crown in the segment and was enjoying undisputed success with brand image and the product by itself. But, MG shook it all up in the price and segment with loads of features. I’m expecting the same thing to happen with this big SUV image MG is trying to barge into the legendary territory, that’s being ruled by Fortuner & Endy.

If Fortuner is Lion & Endy is a tiger, this is more like a Liger which is a cross breed which wants to get into the segment and doesn’t know if it will accommodate and dissipate.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 13:29   #21
BHPian

Looks and pricing will be key as 90% of the buyer won't think much about the 0.2 less capacity engine as long as sufficient power is there for Highway cruising and looks butch. Interior & MG's 'Internet Inside' USP will be advantage to them.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

This car has few USP compared to the Fortuner, just like the Ford!

Offers Sun-roof, a must for expensive cars!
If it gets the Fiat 2.0, hopefully mileage will be better than the rest.
lot of gizmos would be there, its an MG after all.
This would look more imposing while parked next to the Fortuner. Looks similar too GLS overall size wise.
It would be great, if rides better than both the Endeavor and the Toyota.

Other than these minor stuff, pricing will be the key as many said. Hardly any innovations in this segment
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Interestingly, Maxus is actually a SAIC sub brand in China much like the Acura series luxury line for Honda and infiniti for Hyundai. Here are some pics of the one being sold in China for reference:

Front and side profile look substantial enough and has quite likable proportions too. I can see a bit of BMW in the headlamps and front fascia for sure:
Attachment 1935039
Attachment 1935040

Rear end is bland. Just doesn't do justice to the butch SUV theme. Have observed this with the Endeavour too. Crossoverish vibes are a given with both of these cars when it comes to the rear. A tailgate mounted spare would really help:
Attachment 1935038

A pic of the interiors. BMW inspiration is more than obvious with the low set AC vents and the floating touch screen and overall dash design:
Attachment 1935041

Will be a hit with the masses for sure. I also expect MG to make a few India specific changes like they did with the Hector. Some serious competition for the Endeavour and Fortuner. No two ways about that.

If they can price it in a competitive manner, Indians surely won't mind lapping it up. If there's anything the Hector has proved, it is that a mouth watering price tag will easily take precedence over things like brand image even in a 20L car. Haven't seen a well priced SUV in the 20-30L space for a very long time now (quite the opposite with the Compass, Alturas 4G, Tucson) and this might just be what is needed.
Strong F-series BMW interior vibes there! And an Endeavour A/T shift lever.

I find myself opposed to this blatant copying.

That said, I think they'll do decent numbers if they undercut the big boys like they've done with the Hector. The sales of the Hector will also invoke confidence in potential customers.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 14:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

No matter how good the new MG SUV turns out to be, the leader in the segment will continue to be Toyota Fortuner.
Reasons: Relibality, service, resale and blind faith of Indians.

The new Ford Endeavour is a gem of a car and much superior to Fortuner, but Indians still prefer the Fortuner.

The debate is not about the Fortuner or Endeavour, but the name that Toyota has established in India. So any new SUV in the same segment will have a tough time against the mighty Fortuner.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 22:41   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
In China, the Maxus D90 is powered by a 2.0-litre, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 221 BHP and 360 Nm of torque. It is available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
Not a proper rival if 4x4 low range with locking diff is provided
Old 16th November 2019, 08:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Looks and pricing will be key as 90% of the buyer won't think much about the 0.2 less capacity engine...
Not in this segment. Also the difference to see is not in “cc” but torque. Buyers in this segment care a bit less about budget.
Old 16th November 2019, 09:04   #27
BHPian

Could they tune the same 2.0L Multijet to a higher tune? If so, I'll be surprised considering the potency of this engine on a remap!

Last edited by advenk999 : 16th November 2019 at 09:06.
Old 16th November 2019, 09:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Not a proper rival if 4x4 low range with locking diff is provided
The international versions do get a low range transfer case and a rear electronic locking differential.

Some specs -

Low range - 2.48:1
Approach angle (unladen, degrees) - 28
Departure angle (unladen, degrees) - 25
Wading depth (mm) - 550
Ramp breakover angle (degrees) - 20

Not sure what MG would provide for the Indian market!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 09:42   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The international versions do get a low range transfer case and a rear electronic locking differential.

Some specs -

Low range - 2.48:1
Approach angle (unladen, degrees) - 28
Departure angle (unladen, degrees) - 25
Wading depth (mm) - 550
Ramp breakover angle (degrees) - 20

Not sure what MG would provide for the Indian market!
Companies usually cut nice options when they send vehicles over here. Most notable examples are not having a 330d, V6 Fortuner or AWD S-Cross. Let's wait and see if MG wants to head the same way...
Old 16th November 2019, 10:38   #30
BHPian

Unless the machine is truly outstanding and MG brings in the luxury of an E class to this SUV, then dear MG, as much as I hate to utter these words in my life, "GIVE UP". No one messes with the Zohan of this segment (read FORTUNER). But if you dare, then you have to possess lot more than the power Zohan does. May be the Video clip will help.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks