Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 07:30   #406
BHPian

Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

To be very honest, I think MG has priced it very well. If we consider the sheer value it offers and the size and engine, it's much better than the fortuner and endeavour, the segment leaders. It will be interesting to see whether there will be any impact on them or not. Spending more than 35 lacs on the Gloster will surely scratch some heads.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 09:18   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

The horizontal table like dashboard with trapezoidal elements is now common in car interiors of just about every brand.

MG seems to have executed it well from the pictures, Fortuner and Endeavour dashboard now belongs to a commercial vehicle, even the Alturas G4 dashboard looks old in comparison.

To be fair, these things only last so long. The once admired trend setting interior of Volvo S90 now looks ordinary. Perhaps it's time to hide the touch screen somewhere in the dash and add a clock instead.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 10:23   #408
BHPian

Since there is much buzz about the interiors , I'll recount some of my observations.

The moment you see it , you know it's a size up and the moment you sit in the drivers seat, you feel that the plush looks and the layout gives you a feeling of a higher segment.

The leather looks nice and there are some nice bits like the flattened steering wheel bottom etc.
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20201008_114636.jpg

A closer inspection with a keen eye can uncover some inconsistent bits and cost cutting.

The arm rest for example looks extremely out of place and like a thin rod with leather stuck on it, on an other wise well draped interior. Could've been better integrated.

Key fob looks inexcusably cheap. Keyfob is a touchpoint for the driver with the car, you simply cannot cost cut in that item. It's also a calling card for the car once you've parked it and carry it around. I don't want to be seen with this keyfob after spending 40lakhs.
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20201008_115519.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20201008_115558.jpg

Leather and stitching is good and conveys luxury but some plastic bits are hard and do not complement the intended quality. These will bother the discerning eye and let's wait for the TBHP review will give us the detailed picture .
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:33   #409
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
let's wait for the TBHP review will give us the detailed picture .
Eagerly waiting for this. @ Mods, please update when we can have it!
Old 10th October 2020, 21:09   #410
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster showcases the off-roading capabilities

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 21:19   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
I wonder why do all adverts show off road capabilities with highway tyres, make the vehicle looks stupid when struggling for traction.

Or are they trying to show even with highway tyres you can go off-roading.
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:34   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

https://Youtu.be/6j9fTGI0tZM
Have the TD started? Any view on body roll. The video shows that’s an area which could be of concern especially on post monsoon roads/ highways in India.
Old 13th October 2020, 18:12   #413
BHPian

The grille and the headlights remind me eerily of my Elantra!!
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_7960.jpg  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mgglosterontestindia896x1200.jpg  

docprashant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 18:25   #414
BHPian

Great pricing but unfortunately too close to the undisputed champion for masses aka Fortuner. Many have tried and failed to level Fortuner including the mighty Endeavour. I dont expect MG to seriously challenge Fortuner in volumes but expect it to do as well as Ford, and much better than Mahindra and Isuzu.

PS: MG has gone overboard with the monograms. If I were ever to buy a car like this, I would debadge it in the showroom in front of dealer folks.
Old 13th October 2020, 19:15   #415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Great pricing but unfortunately too close to the undisputed champion for masses aka Fortuner. Many have tried and failed to level Fortuner including the mighty Endeavour. I dont expect MG to seriously challenge Fortuner in volumes but expect it to do as well as Ford, and much better than Mahindra and Isuzu.
Here’s the thing: what do you think would have happened to the sales charts if the carnival was launched at innova price. Would it have substantially shaken the innovas standing - taxi segment aside maybe. I think yes.

While the difference is not as stark perhaps, I do believe the gloster in every sense feels like a substantially plusher product to the fortuner, at a price lower than or comparable to the fortuner. I would be very interested at seeing sales outcomes. I think it is going to shake the segment all around. Let's see. As a consumer, I certainly hope so purely because giants like Toyota have been taking its customer base a bit for granted. Charging more and more and skimping on what they offer in return.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2020 at 01:43. Reason: Typo
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 23:41   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Here’s the thing: what do you think would have happened to the sales charts if the carnival was launched at innova price. Would it have substantially shaken the innovas standing - taxi segment aside maybe. I think yes.

While the difference is not as stark perhaps, I do believe the gloster in every sense feels like a substantially plusher product to the fortuner, at a price lower than or comparable to the fortuner. I would be very interested at seeing sales outcomes. I think it is going to shake the segment all around. Let's see. As a consumer, I certainly hope so purely because giants like Toyota have been taking its customer base a bit for granted. Charging more and more and skimping on what they offer in return.
I'll agree with the Toyota Fortuner taking us for granted and ruling the roost part. But MG for its so called 'introductory prices' should've undercut the Fortuner by a couple of lakhs and made it mouth watering for prospects.
You should make it irresistible for the intended customer base to look beyond the established competition and the badge paranoia and the existing COO (country of origin) sentiments. That way you would've been able to spot more Glosters on road and reinforce word of mouth.

However, The fact that price includes 50k for customisable MgShield warranty option is good, like ISUZU MUX. Shave it off. or advertise it aggressively.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2020 at 01:44. Reason: Quoted post edited.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:03   #417
BHPian

Found something interesting on the Gloster! Did not pay much heed to the Twin Turbo badging on the car until I saw this video! Its in Tamil and for those who require some understanding, its said that the badging is misleading as there is no physical twin turbos present but its a Single Turbo unit which is designed to work in two stages (the technical aspects are covered in the video)

Anyone who was aware of this?

vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:43   #418
Senior - BHPian

Unlike the Hector, I don't see the Gloster doing too well. Although it is feature rich, it is priced too close to the Fortuner and the Endeavour.

A very significant section of buyers of these brands associate them social standing and prestige. This is something which MG has not got in its favour. Its a Chinese product and that will not cut with the politicians when they go out for campaigning in these times.

Moreover, the Hector was successful because not only was it feature loaded but it was priced much lower than the Compass and the Harrier. It made these vehicles look bare bones and over priced.

In this market, I see it going the Alturas way. The Alturas was a very fine vehicle but the two lakh price difference was not enough to sway prospective buyers of Fortuner and Endeavour.

Hopefully, it will get some buyers and shake Toyota and Ford out of their comfort zones. These vehicles are priced way to high in my opinion. Competition is always good for the customers.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:04   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think it is going to shake the segment all around
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Hopefully, it will get some buyers and shake Toyota and Ford out of their comfort zones
As much as I would have loved to agree with you guys, unfortunately this is not going to happen! As someone rightly pointed out, majority of customers shopping in this segment are highly brand-conscious, giving much more weightage to the "image" associated with the vehicle than what it has to offer. Case in point - the Endeavour could barely nudge the monopoly exuded by the Fortuner, which continues to be the undisputed king of this segment, despite the former being better in almost all aspects - comfort, features, ride quality, etc. Why? Because if I were to buy a 40-lac plus SUV and I end up buying something other than the Fortuner, 9 out of 10 people will ask me - why not the Fortuner? Heck, I personally know a few folks who are selling their Endeavour just because of this reason.

The bells and whistles that MG is coming out with on the Gloster would do little to budge prospective buyers in this segment. It could have worked in the Hector segment to an extent but this, sir, is a completely different arena!! The Alturas tried this but failed miserably. The MU-X, well, it did not even try The Gloster will soon fade away from people's memories and Hector will continue to make most of the moolah for MG, while Toyota will continue to milk customers with Fortuner 2021 (coming in without the upgraded engine or rear diff-lock) and Ford will continue its siesta, happy with whatever the underpowered Endeavour 2.0 brings in to their cash registers.

PS - no offence to Fortuner or Endeavour owners/fans. This is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th October 2020 at 15:10.
Old 15th October 2020, 15:46   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
As much as I would have loved to agree with you guys, unfortunately this is not going to happen!
I think there is a difference here. It is not offering more features per se - it is a bigger plusher product. The difference between the Gloster and the rest is not like what it was in Endy vs Fortuner. I feel it is closer to offering a Carnival like product at an Innova like price (not AS wide a difference though but substantive enough).

Here is another compromise. Many people love the captain's chair set up. If this is important to a customer, he has to either buy the lower spec Innova or buy the Fortuner and sacrifice the comfort of captains chairs.

The Gloster is the only body on frame SUV that offers this.

I completely take your point that there will be many who will still find peace in only the Toyota. But to draw that analogy from the Endeavour experience is comparing apples and oranges.

MG's offering is significantly more premium, half a size larger, more spacious even internally, more comfortable and just looks a clear segment above - all of this at the same price point or even a hint lower. Lets see how this plays out.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th October 2020 at 15:53.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed