Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 14:25   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Apart from other issues, I still don't understand why people care much about off-roading when most of us drive our cars on terrain 90% of the time. I admire Fortuner's reliability, but it would be so much more attractive to me, if Toyota had launched a proper family SUV with creature comforts and a punchy engine rather than an off-road feature rich SUV. Just my point of view, also not defending the Gloster in any way because no one wants to see that kind of faults in a 40L car anyway.

How capable a car is OFFROAD, is something which 99% of buyers don't care about. It's the same with me as well. Heck I avoid traversing the non tar/cement roads as much as possible, just to avoid making the car too dusty!
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:24   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

How capable a car is OFFROAD, is something which 99% of buyers don't care about. It's the same with me as well. Heck I avoid traversing the non tar/cement roads as much as possible, just to avoid making the car too dusty!
It is about bragging rights!.

"This is a 4×4" to office colleagues when going for team lunch to the nearby restaurant .

Though the only offroading I will be doing is when they have dug up the street outside my house for the nth time .
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:36   #453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
I still don't understand why people care much about off-roading when most of us drive our cars on terrain 90% of the time.
I reckon, such failures points to the overall perception/ reliability of the car. It does create a doubt in the mind of the buyer, what's going to happen with the other stuff. And to be fair, whatever 4x4 equipment they have put was made in the same factory where they have produced the engine/ gearbox.

For most of the people who are going to buy such a product, it will be a substantial amount so not only will they be looking at VFM, features but also the reliability part which in this case takes a hit. Whether right or wrong, I am not sure. Can this thing have happened to something else, Yes. I still remember Christmas lights on my brand new endeavour after a short off-road event. But FORD carries such a strong brand image and heritage that I was ready to consider the same as one-off event. Can't say if my reaction would have been same had the car been of MG.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:53   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I reckon, such failures points to the overall perception/ reliability of the car. It does create a doubt in the mind of the buyer, what's going to happen with the other stuff. And to be fair, whatever 4x4 equipment they have put was made in the same factory where they have produced the engine/ gearbox.

For most of the people who are going to buy such a product, it will be a substantial amount so not only will they be looking at VFM, features but also the reliability part which in this case takes a hit. Whether right or wrong, I am not sure. Can this thing have happened to something else, Yes. I still remember Christmas lights on my brand new endeavour after a short off-road event. But FORD carries such a strong brand image and heritage that I was ready to consider the same as one-off event. Can't say if my reaction would have been same had the car been of MG.
Absolutely, I agree. Peace of mind is one of the most important things after getting the car, given that we would have exhausted ourselves upon deciding the right car
Although I'm not meaning to say that since 90% of buyers would not be benefited by the off-road features of the vehicle, they should be ignoring the faults. Not at all. But my point is in a more general view, as in we would prefer more features, luxury and terrain performance over the off-road features altogether. Maybe this needs a new thread to discuss.
Old 5th November 2020, 11:49   #455
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster sold out for 2020; prices hiked

According to a media report, the MG Gloster is sold out for 2020. The carmaker already has over 2,000 bookings for the SUV. Deliveries for fresh bookings are likely to start in 2021.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-download-14.jpg

MG has also hiked the prices of the Gloster by Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 1 lakh. The introductory pricing was only valid for the first 2,000 customers or till October 31, 2020.

MG Gloster revised prices:

• Super (7-Seater) - Rs. 29.98 lakh
  • Smart (6-Seater) - Rs. 31.48 lakh
  • Sharp (7-Seater) - Rs. 33.98 lakh
  • Sharp (6-Seater) - Rs. 34.28 lakh
  • Savvy (6-Seater) - Rs. 35.58 lakh

The MG Gloster was launched in October this year. The SUV is a re-badged version of the Maxus D90 that is sold in the Chinese market. It comes equipped with advanced safety features such as radar-guided cruise control, autonomous emergency braking, automatic park assist, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning and fatigue reminder system.

The MG Gloster is powered by a 2.0-litre diesel engine, which comes in two states of tune. In the Super and Smart variants, the engine comes with a single turbocharger and makes 161 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 375 Nm @ 1,500-2,400 rpm.

The Sharp and Savvy variants get the 2.0-litre, twin-turbo diesel unit that is rated at 215 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 480 Nm @ 1,500-2,400 rpm. This engine is mated to a shift-on-fly 4WD system and has an electro-mechanical differential lock. An 8-speed automatic gearbox is offered as standard across all variants.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:13   #456
BHPian

Re: MG Gloster sold out for 2020; prices hiked

Hardly surprising given the specs and feature list. Shows what a reasonably priced product can do. Same with something like the Harrier. Indians have known to be price and brand conscious in that order.

Toyota and others could do some soul searching for pricing their crates reasonably.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:50   #457
Senior - BHPian

I would take this news with a pinch of salt, unless the official numbers are out. Pretty sure, that this product at the introductory launch price was always supposed to just test the water and not mint money with large volumes.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:33   #458
BHPian

These are the numbers the Fortuner had been doing monthly till mid-2019 considering all the 2000 bookings remain intact and no cancellations are received which is highly unlikely though.

So, agreed that for MG it is a good response but in no way a big feat.

Last edited by sv97 : 5th November 2020 at 13:44.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:41   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
These are the numbers the Fortuner had been doing monthly till mid-2019. So, agreed that for MG it is a good response but in no way a big feat.
2000 are the bookings, let’s see how much they are able to sell. Fortuner did 1500 units this month let’s see how does the Mg perform.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 21:42   #460
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive comparison of Gloster with Endeavour and Fortuner

Old 16th November 2020, 09:33   #461
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for this car's TBHP review. @ Mods Any visibility on when we can expect it?
Old 17th November 2020, 13:56   #462
BHPian

I decided to take a leap of faith, and booked the Gloster at MG Motor, Hosur Rd, Bangalore. I would love to hear from other folks here, who have either got one, booked one, or in the process of deciding.

Some key considerations and facts:

* We are on the lookout for a 6-7 seater SUV (family of 4 plus parents visiting)
* Space, comfort, reliability and features, in that order, are some of my key care-abouts
* We did 2 test drives of Gloster so far, and another one is planned tomorrow
* I will be using it primarily in brutal off-road conditions found only in urban Bangalore
* We test drove Fortuner, Endeavour, VW Tiguan Allspace, and Innova
* Tiguan Allspace is an excellent option, but it lacked the space we hoped for
* Fortuner is out-dated at this point. Face-lifted Innova Z AT is 31.5L OTR!!
* Endeavour Sport is really compelling. I would have bought it, if not for Gloster's captain seats and relatively better 3-rd row seats
* Delivery will be in mid-Jan. Booking amount of 1L is fully refundable

I plan to do all the research I can in the next few weeks, to be sure of the risks. I am looking forward to expert inputs from this forums. Thanks!
civicsense is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:14   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
I decided to take a leap of faith, and booked the Gloster at MG Motor, Hosur Rd, Bangalore. I would love to hear from other folks here, who have either got one, booked one, or in the process of deciding.
Would suggest you wait for the official TBHP review. That said, till now the Gloster has won all the comparos of other Auto Journo's.

What were your observations? Any list of likes and dislikes from your experience of Gloster?
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 19:07   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
I decided to take a leap of faith and booked the Gloster at MG Motor, Hosur Rd, Bangalore..... I am looking forward to expert inputs from this forums. Thanks!
This might help, the latest issue of Autocar has an article on the service costs of cars compared across segments. Though is does not include the MG Gloster, I think you can safely refer to the cost comparison with the MG Hector which is the cheapest in its segment for both the Petrol and Diesel versions and by quite a fair bit!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...ve-suvs-418688

It of course serves only as a guide, but I can attest to my personal experience with the Hector which has completed 1 year, 12,000 kms with one fault and zero service expense till now (I have the 5 year MG Protect Plan).
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 21:42   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked this out while taking delivery of my Hector, and the first thing that stands out is the size of the thing. The largest car I've seen so far are the land cruisers, and this seems bigger still. One of them drove out in front of me from the showroom, and it overtook an ecosport. The ford looked like an s'presso! It's a house on wheels. The rear seat looked much more comfortable than the queen of this roost, the Crysta. There was still enough room to plonk 2 medium, maybe full sized even, suitcases in the boot.
Interiors looked very premium in the showroom.
But the sheer size! I've got a feeling anyone checking out an endy or a fortuner, if he walks into an MG showroom, he'll find it very hard to walk away. IMO only.
mayankk is online now   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks