Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2020, 14:44   #121
BHPian

re: Scoop! MG Gloster SUV spotted in India - To rival Fortuner & Endeavour

I wonder what tech are they considering under that "ADAS" badge. Hope its truly some game changing ones and not just a marketing gimmick.

Overall, seems more easy on the eye than MG's other offerings..

Last edited by vinjosep : 1st September 2020 at 14:46.
Old 1st September 2020, 14:50   #122
BHPian

Ewwww. That Gloster badging looks so pathetic. It has chinese written all over it. Damn MG needs an ethics commitee in their design team. . Its very common to see loud badging in many of the chinese design and not just automotive. Somehow I am compating this to the customised endevour badging that I see, which is not an eye sore, but this somehow looks so bad.
Old 1st September 2020, 14:58   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Not particularly excited for this model, for obvious reasons.

They should stop peddling through media that the Gloster is bigger than the Landcruiser, yet they are going to sell it at half the price.
Nope.

They should price it below the Fortuner/Endeavour gang with all the features and those captain seats, to have any sort of sales. The Alturas is a stark reminder.

On the plus side, would be a good thing for the industry.

Like the Seltos and Hector, would force the other manufacturers to give us more features for the money, especially the 40lakhs SUV segment really needs a disrupter.

About the ugly rear badging. Guess they are hellbent on creating brand recall for the Gloster, inevitably 'Gloshtar' name. Emphasise more on the size and Gloster name, than the MG badge

Last edited by DicKy : 1st September 2020 at 15:04.
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:40   #124
BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Bad name
Huge Ugly badging
A design which in my opinion is 5-10 years too late.
The interior looks good but no surprise that the "inspiration" is bmwy
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:17   #125
BHPian

FCA-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine producing 218 BHP and 480 Nm

Am I missing something here, how come no discussion on this?
What engine is this?

How come FCA is not offering this on the Compass?
It would change the character of the JC completely.
And I would be even more tempted !!

Edit : I just saw
1. A line which says the above engine is in house derived / developed off the FCA 2.0 Multijet II
The confusion arises because of the first line - which says FCA sourced. - Part of the news scoop article.

Last edited by PM - B : 2nd September 2020 at 10:23.
PM - B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
FCA-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine producing 218 BHP and 480 Nm

Am I missing something here, how come no discussion on this?
What engine is this?
Actually its not directly FCA sourced, it is an engine that is derived from the FCA Multijet II (the same engine as the Compass) developed by SAIC motor for its use. In layman's terms its an FCA engine twin turbocharged by MG.
Here is a link which covers it in detail.
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:08   #127
BHPian

These chinese crooks only know how to copy. What a blatant spoof on the old GLS and the X7.

Looking at it the other way, it might offer brilliant value. Apart from the comfort and tech features which any car can have, i spotted a rear diff-lock button which means this thing will be a serious competitor by all means to the fortuner and endeavour.

I own a 2013 Pajero sport and honestly cant think of any SUV that can replace it. The Fortuner and Endy are really good (i prefer the endy) but they dont offer the same "raw-ness" of the Pajero sport.

The Gloster for me as of now will not be an option as it is from a chinese state owned company. Also, the dealer here has the VW dealership and i had a terrible experience with them and ultimately sold off my Vento because of their service.
abhinavsureka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:33   #128
Senior - BHPian

With top spec Carnival retailing at 42-44L here in Bangalore, I can safely say that Gloster will hit 50L mark. I remember MG mentioning Gloster is not for mass market but something that will help them to build the brand.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

Many elements seemed to be copied from popular cars.

I don't know who in the office approves of the badging on MG cars, but starting with "internet inside" to the big GLOSTER, they are an eyesore. Thankfully, they can be easily removed. I can't stand that the 4 exhaust pipes - twin pipes on either side would have looked cooler IMHO.

Wonder what the target pricing is? I'm sure they won't significantly undercut the Fortuner.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:35   #130
BHPian

This looks like a mix of the G4 and Endeavour to me.

Jokes apart, the car looks decent, not that bad and the features on offer are better than the Fortuner imo.

The pricing can make or break the sales. Fortuner enjoys a partial monopoly I believe and it’ll take something big to shake the brand pull of Toyota.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:38   #131
Senior - BHPian

Chinese are good at adapting (copying ) design of other car makers. Even so when they do it, the quality still looks much better than what Indian car makers can do on Interiors and panels on the outside. Add to that good features and mechanically good cars.
I like this approach since when they evolve they can catch up much quicker and don't have to do everything from scratch.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:41   #132
BHPian

First look I thought it was Alturas G4.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:14   #133
BHPian

As some others have mentioned, there is something amiss. Maybe it's just the photographs?

I thought a lot and realised that it felt the same as the Hexa or even the ancient Qualis i.e. it has the wrong bonnet to cabin ratio. Atleast in photographs, the bonnet seems a tad lower and much shorter compared to the 3 row cabin, giving a people mover impression than an expensive SUV.
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:30   #134
Senior - BHPian

One thing you can know a car has a clear Chinese influence is those LAUD badging. It just screams cheap and way too much asking for attention. MG is playing well in this segment, only pricing will tell how well they take it further.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:27   #135
BHPian

That badge at the rear looks absolutely hideous! Just like the hector, this is also a Chinese SUV ( Maxus D90), trying to act like a British car. If this article is to be believed, then this car is going to be priced well above the Fortuner and endeavour segment. Quoting from the article:

“With Gloster, we are trying to bring a INR 80-90 lakh product to the market at around Rs 50 lakh and plan to launch it during Diwali this year. Gloster will be a low-volume game. To keep reinforcing the brand and show technological prowess we will drive in new products here. The volume should be around 5,000-6,000 annually.”

https://indianautosblog.com/rajeev-c...launch-p319790

The Maxus D90 is exactly the same, except for the grille: (image source: Wikipedia)
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-5038beef2ec24ede96728e36f004a2cc.jpeg  

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 2nd September 2020 at 19:29.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks