Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 11:44   #166
BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

I think all this 50l otr pricing is a systematic leak by MG themselves so that when they actually announce a sub 40l otr price, it will seem well priced by comparison.

Knowing how the Chinese operate be it in electronics or Auto sector, you can expect a crazy low pricing to first take the market. Even if priced on par with the fortuner you can expect it to do very well.

Let's not forget the average big SUV buyer likes chrome, likes gloss it is only us in this forum who hate it.

Look at the standard mods done in semi urban or rural Fortuners and you will see more bling is better.

MG Aren't VAG or Toyota, in that with the hector they seem to know what they are doing, and here they are gunning for the Fortuner with some pick offs from the Innova also if possible.

My gut feel is that it will be priced low and it will do very well.
Stribog is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 16:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Do we know more on the engine front ? Historically we have seen mostly in-house engines when we see bulk of our diesel models, TATA, Mahindra, Ford, Renault, Toyota etc OR JD from FIAT(maruti, GM, MG Hector, Tata harrier etc)

If MG says in house developed engine, I doubt if that is true. This could just be a re-branded Chinese engine. Curious to know more about this.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 7th September 2020 at 16:08.
Old 7th September 2020, 21:26   #168
BHPian

I personally think Gloster is not going to make much impact on Fortuner and Endeavour sales. The reason is -

Who buys Fortuner ?

Primarily the politicians and thier kin or people who like to show off their Fortuners . Fortuner has been a style statement ever since it's launch and in that sense it has really taken over that mantle from erstwhile Pajero. Simply said "Fortuner = Big guy in the area" and I really doubt any so called big guy will prefer anything other than Fortuner (If Endeavour, Alturas and MU-X can't change this sentiment it is nigh impossible for any other car to do it) The only real threat to Fortuner I can see is if Tata decides to wake from it's Slumber and give that "Safari" nameplate a worthy shape. Fortuner sells more because of it's nameplate and not because of it's characteristics and Gloster for all it's supposed advantage simply does not look like a worthy contender nameplate.

As for the enthusiasts who buy Fortuner ? they buy it for Toyota's reliability and probably best 4x4 system in it's class knowing fully well the other limitations and that scene also doesn't look like changing any time soon.

Who buys Endeavour ?

The person who wants a better vehicle than Fortuner (4x4 system being one thing where Fortuner is slightly ahead but Endeavour is no slouch it's a matter of 20 vs 21 and third row ingress-egress being the second which is not great in Fortuner either) and is ready to lose some resale value in trade-off. In other words Endeavour is for enthusiasts. Will these folk buy Gloster ? No because Gloster or rather MG just do not sound as reliable or enthusiast friendly as Endeavour. Alturas being such a good vehicle couldn't make a dent here is in itself a case study.

So then is Gloster going to sell ? who is going to buy it ?

Gloster will sell, maybe as good as Endeavour but it will not attract the Fortuner-Endeavor customers rather it will attract new crowd to this D2 SUV segment. So then who are these new people going to be ?

1. Gloster will eat out CR-V/ Santa-Fe/ MU-X hopefuls. Reason being these guys were not willing to buy Fortuner and Endeavour as they were looking for a Non-Innova (read - Cabs) big and expensive family car, and they don't really give two hoots about 4x4 system (If Gloster has a 2WD variant I can bet it will outsell 4WD by a big margin)

2. The segment created by Vellfire - Yes, Vellfire created quite a buzz and there were use cases being proposed for it but it's priced rather too out of reach for majority of India, Gloster may yet give second wind to these hopes.

3. People who bought sedans for their luxurious interiors over Fortuner-Endeavour. I think this point is self-explanatory.

There are enough people who can buy a D2 SUV segment but the existing options never suited them, Gloster can pick these buyers.

What happens to Kodiaq and Alturas ?

Alturas will stay as a halo Mahindra product till SSangyong and Mahindra partnership exists.

Kodiaq buyers are not going to buy Gloster, these guys are going to look above at Mercedes/ Volvo/ BMW etc and not below at MG.
darkLightning is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 08:31   #169
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I think all this 50l otr pricing is a systematic leak by MG themselves so that when they actually announce a sub 40l otr price, it will seem well priced by comparison.
Bingo! Car manufacturers & car magazines have deals to mislead the public in many ways. We have seen them being used like this before also. MG itself knows that one of the main reasons the Hector is selling is the value-for-money quotient. There is NO way the Gloster will sell at prices above the Fortuner...or even on par, in my opinion. At least for the foreseeable future, MG has to undercut the competition by offering more-for-less, to sell.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 09:19   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo! Car manufacturers & car magazines have deals to mislead the public in many ways. We have seen them being used like this before also.
You cannot call it misleading the public. If the MD of the company has publicly said that they are going to price the product around the 50 lakh mark (link), then any sane magazine or website must publish that only as the expected pricing. You cannot just say that expected pricing will be around xx lakhs just because the car won't sell otherwise.

There is no conspiracy or collusion between MG and the magazines.

MG might be misleading the public and the media about their pricing but hatching a conspiracy with the media to mislead public seems like a far fetched fantasy suitable to movies only.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 8th September 2020 at 09:38.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:11   #171
Senior - BHPian

Gloster to get Massage and Ventilated front seats along with memory settings.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...468523254.html
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster in Burgundy red colour

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200908101159_instagram.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200908101224_instagram.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200908101358_instagram.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200908101348_instagram.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE1dsh8A...=1incefg6aabd1
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:13   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
MG might be misleading the public and the media about their pricing but hatching a conspiracy with the media to mislead public seems like a far fetched fantasy suitable to movies only.
I don't understand why you got so agitated upon the works and the truth of automobile magazines. You might be working for one but there is no reason to deny what's happening around, we all know of many car launches with so called price expectations by these very magazines only to be priced at 1-1.5 lakhs cheaper or maybe more.
The unbiased magazines are simply no more IMO, everytime you see one of the reviews you feel like they become too uneasy while telling the disadvantages and drawbacks of a vehicle. All of this seems more of an advertisement than a review, for ex: I was recently watching a video review where the reviewer said that the AMT in that car was jerky but convenient and I'm like
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:38   #174
BHPian

Quote:
You cannot call it misleading the public. If the MD of the company has publicly said that they are going to price the product around the 50 lakh mark (link)
Author (of the article in the link you shared) himself is not convinced about the pricing. Quoting from the article:
Quote:
Let us remind you that the MG Gloster is basically a rebadged Maxus D90. In China, the original model is priced in the range of CNY 1,56,700-2,66,900 (INR 16,00,238.02-27,25,612.81). Taking into account the facts that those are retail prices (the cost before the markups would be much lower) and that the company will assemble it from knocked-down kits, a circa-INR 50 lakh price tag seems much higher than expected.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:55   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
I don't understand why you got so agitated upon the works and the truth of automobile magazines. You might be working for one but there is no reason to deny what's happening around, we all know of many car launches with so called price expectations by these very magazines only to be priced at 1-1.5 lakhs cheaper or maybe more.
The unbiased magazines are simply no more IMO, everytime you see one of the reviews you feel like they become too uneasy while telling the disadvantages and drawbacks of a vehicle. All of this seems more of an advertisement than a review, for ex: I was recently watching a video review where the reviewer said that the AMT in that car was jerky but convenient and I'm like
The thought that everyone is corrupt is simply laughable. Yes, there must definitely be some journalists who are corrupt and would do paid reviews but saying everyone is corrupt is simply plain pessimism. Not everyone is honest, not everyone is corrupt.

Regarding what you said about the AMTs, yes they are pretty jerky but for a meager 30-40k and no FE loss they bring the convenience of an automatic.

Quoting from Team-BHP's own Swift AMT review, it also says that the AMT results in a stress-free (convenient) drive but is jerky. Would you call it paid now?

Quote:
The AMT functions like a regular automatic gearbox and, as the driver doesn't need to press a clutch pedal or shift gears, it results in a stress-free drive
Quote:
However, the gearbox suffers from slow gearshifts (particularly during upshifting) and there is a delay of a second or so from the time one gear is disengaged and the next one is engaged. This results in a jerk and as we've noticed in other AMTs - the lull in acceleration makes your head bob forward. If the car is being driven in a relaxed manner, things are smoother (although you will still notice each gearshift).
And no, neither do I work for MG nor do I work for any so called corrupt magazine. I am just a 17 year old guy who is not even in college yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Author (of the article in the link you shared) himself is not convinced about the pricing.
Exactly the reason I quoted the article. One might not be convinced but 50 lakhs is the mark that MG has conveyed (even I am not) but that does not mean that media is colluding with MG regarding conveying higher than expected pricing. It is MG who said that we will price it around that mark and nobody is justifying it, it is just being published as is.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 8th September 2020 at 13:02.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:11   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
I personally think Gloster is not going to make much impact on Fortuner and Endeavour sales. The reason is -

Who buys Fortuner ?

Primarily the politicians and thier kin or people who like to show off their Fortuners . Fortuner has been a style statement ever since it's launch and in that sense it has really taken over that mantle from erstwhile Pajero. Simply said "Fortuner = Big guy in the area" and I really doubt any so called big guy will prefer anything other than Fortuner (If Endeavour, Alturas and MU-X can't change this sentiment it is nigh impossible for any other car to do it) The only real threat to Fortuner I can see is if Tata decides to wake from it's Slumber and give that "Safari" nameplate a worthy shape. Fortuner sells more because of it's nameplate and not because of it's characteristics and Gloster for all it's supposed advantage simply does not look like a worthy contender nameplate.
This is a major misconception about the Fortuner (about it being the Politician/big man’s car). Visit any mall in Mumbai with a white Fortuner and you will get the same respect as a humble small car. I haven’t received any special treatment at valets or malls. I agree politicians buy the Fortuner but a lot of them have shifted to the Innova Crysta. People other than politicians also buy the car for various reasons! There are lots of places where you see High-end German cars, Fortuners and Endeavours that doesn’t mean that having a Fortuner is like you are the big man in the area, Endeavour comes with the same level of respect. Check out the various Facebook and Instagram pages all have the equal number of show off going on in them which includes not only the Fortuner but also the Endeavour, Safari, Scorpio, i20, Verna, Creta and several other cars. I am sorry it is definitely not a show-off vehicle! And I am not in any way defending the Fortuner, I am just stating the fact that other cars also have the same level of respect in the market especially the Endeavour. The sad reality is that even some Toyota dealers ask if you are a politician enquiring about the Fortuner(happened with my dad and me at a popular dealer). My dad gave him a nice earful that if you want only politicians to buy the car then why are you showcasing the car to the common man go personally knocking on their doors. Seeing a white fortuner on the road
doesn’t mean the car is owned by someone big!

You have also stated the reasons for enthusiasts buying it which are completely true and I have reiterated the reasons, just the Politician and big man’s car caught my attention and I don’t blame you at all. Please don’t take any offence against my post

It sells because of its reliability, brand name, low service prices, resale value, off road prowess, it’s linkage to the Innova with decently powerful engines even if not the best, ability to haul people without breaking any sweat and it’s rugged raw feel.

If Ford, MG, Mahindra, Tata, etc would provide me the same dealer experience, service quality, easy availability of spares, honesty that Toyota showcases I would be happy to sell my car and run towards these brands without battling an eyelid. Classic Eg: Ford has shut two showrooms near my house in the last 5 years.

In this segment people want brand value over features and it is clearly visible, same is the case with say any car overlapping with a German car.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th September 2020 at 13:31.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:17   #177
BHPian

50L !!! Thats the German trio category.

1. Does MG have that good quality levels ?
2. Does MG have that long standing repute?
3. Has MG got any particular USP? (JOY aka BMW, reliability aka Toyota?)
4. Is thier anything pathbreaking in Gloster ?
5. What about customer service?

Some answers are NO, while some answers are Don't Know . Now please explain to me why should I feel confident parting with my 50 bags of gold
Heart_Revs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG Gloster in Burgundy red colour

Attachment 2052936
Except the hideous badging at the rear, the looks of the car seem to be growing a bit on me. I hope MG makes the same splash in the D2 segment, as it did with the Hector. Toyota and Ford (Especially Toyota)seriously need to rethink the prices of their vehicles in the D2 SUV segment.
Old 8th September 2020, 14:03   #179
BHPian

In my view for this to create any kind of impact the top end model should not be priced more than 29.99 lakhs.

It has to undercut the suv duo substantially other wise it wont make any inroads because both Endeavour and Fortuner have their aspirants and loyal customer base.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:24   #180
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You cannot call it misleading the public.
Don't want to take the thread anymore off-topic, but let's not be naive here.

Harrier on-road price *leaked* to start at 16 lakhs - link

Eventually launched at approximately 14 lakhs on-road - link

2 lakhs is quite a major difference for a 12 - 16 lakh car. It's all the difference between being "overpriced" and "value-for-money".
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks