Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 19:24   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG seems to bet big on the Gloster's off-road ability. Will be interesting to see, how much the car can handle in reality. Got to admit though, whatever, I have seen is good till now. Pretty good.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 20:41   #227
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster: Tech-specs and feature highlights

MG Motor has released more technical details of the upcoming Gloster SUV.

The MG Gloster is a re-badged version of the Maxus D90 sold in the Chinese market. It measures 4985 mm long, 1926 mm wide and 1867 mm tall. It has a wheelbase of 2950 mm and the fuel tank capacity is 75 litres. The SUV rides on 255/55-section tyres mounted on 19-inch alloy wheels. It gets independent suspension at the front and a 5-link suspension at the back.

The Gloster gets advanced safety features like radar guided cruise control, autonomous emergency braking, automatic park assist, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning as well as a fatigue reminder system.

The SUV also comes with a 12.3-inch touchscreen head-unit and an 8-inch instrument cluster. The car also gets 3-zone automatic climate control, ventilated front seats (heated only), captain seats in the second row, 12-way adjustable driver seat with memory function, a panoramic sunroof and 71 iSmart connected car features.

Powering the Gloster is a 2.0L, twin-turbo diesel engine rated at 215 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 480 Nm @ 1,500-2,400 rpm. It is paired with an 8-speed gearbox and a four-wheel-drive system with a BorgWarner transfer case as standard.

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd September 2020 at 21:53.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:12   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I just noticed, that in the teaser video, the fog lamps are conventional halogen units. Even the Hector gets LED foglamps. Even this is an indicator, that they might price it very aggressively, maybe even a 10-12 L price gap onroad between the Fortuner and itself.

Fingers crossed !
I was of the understanding that your fog lamps have to be halogen so you get a better view driving through thick fog. Or am I still living in old times?!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:09   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I was of the understanding that your fog lamps have to be halogen so you get a better view driving through thick fog. Or am I still living in old times?!
Conventional fog light housings with LED bulbs scatter most of the light.
In LED fog lamps, the reflector housing is designed in such a way so that the beam is not scattered, but focused towards a particular direction.

For easy understanding, you can compare the LED headlights and the halogen headlights of the 4th gen Honda city.
A.M. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:36   #230
BHPian

I still haven't gotten over the name 'GLOSTER'. My current Clients in UK are based in 'Gloucester'. It sounds to me like a cheap copy of a name unless there is indeed a City/Town that is spelt the way MG have and Google has been unsuccessful in searching it.
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:03   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
I still haven't gotten over the name 'GLOSTER'. My current Clients in UK are based in 'Gloucester'. It sounds to me like a cheap copy of a name unless there is indeed a City/Town that is spelt the way MG have and Google has been unsuccessful in searching it.
Gloster was an aircraft manufacturer based in Gloucestershire. They had started out as "The Gloucestershire Aircraft Company Limited", but simplified their name to Gloster in the 1920s (to make it easier for customers outside the UK to pronounce their name). They were famous for being the manufacturer of the one of the few Allied jet fighters to enter operational combat service in World War 2; the Gloster Meteor.

So, you are correct in linking the name 'Gloster' to "Gloucester".
Aiel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:19   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
It is named after the Gloster Bomber. Anyway, no-one would have spelt Gloucester properly let alone pronounced properly, if they spoke phonetically.

Last edited by manson : 25th September 2020 at 02:15. Reason: Typo
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 06:42   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I am not sure about if you are living in Old times. But gradually all the new cars are coming up with LED fog lamps. Be it seltos, Hector, fortuner, ciaz, City, Brezza list goes on. I guess they use a different mechanism than conventional halogen based fog lamps.

Last edited by 07CR : 24th September 2020 at 06:56.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Gloster launch today. Digital Launch starts at 11:30 IST.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2020 at 08:19. Reason: Replacing video as older one has been taken off
coolkurt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:58   #235
NTO
BHPian

Such an amazing launch video. Instead of having media personalities/ famous car people launch the car, two of the top CXOs of MG driving and launching the car was really different. Also not to mention, staying true to the new normal, there was no stage/ crowd gathered and the launch video was very informative and interactive. Feature, size and capability wise, the Gloster seems to be a great car. Hope they play good with the pricing too.

The whole video seems to bet big on the following
1. British heritage (though we know the truth)
2. The twin turbo diesel engine (a lost opportunity for the Endeavour?)
3. ADAS
4. Offroad capability
5. Well appointed interiors (including a usable third row).

Also, the launch video started right on time. A recent "much anticipated" SUV launch on August 15th made us all wait for 15 - 20 minutes.

In the entire launch, I was not able to associate the product with the "Selfless" tag and using the word "Driven" multiple times with Autonomous Level 1 seemed a bit of an overkill.

Last edited by NTO : 24th September 2020 at 12:03.
NTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:08   #236
Senior - BHPian

Bookings have officially opened with the booking amount set at Rs 1 lakh.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-20200924_120419.jpg

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...003299845?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:26   #237
Senior - BHPian

A pretty different launch. It was interesting to see the top officers of the company drive their product and not some celebrity host / model.

The Gloster does look like a good package. The diesel engine is derived from the Fiat 2.0 and it remains to be seen how they've tuned it (Although they've done a good job with the unit on the Hector).

The constant mentions of the technical terms stressing on the underlying technology is standard MG communication.

Load it it with enough tech, make it blingy, add 'wow' features and market them extensively - it's been a winning strategy.

If they price it right, it could bring in decent numbers.

Last edited by manson : 25th September 2020 at 02:16. Reason: Typo.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:27   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
4. Offroad capability
But this SUV doesn't seem to have a low range. Did he mention about it?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:33   #239
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But this SUV doesn't seem to have a low range. Did he mention about it?
No, there was no mention of low range. However, there is a rock mode which signifies some kind of low range or a decent first gear ratio as present in the Jeep Compass Trailhawk.

Last edited by manson : 25th September 2020 at 02:16. Reason: Typo.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

Really good launch by the head honchos of MG India. I appreciate it when the car is the star of the show and not some random celebrities.

While there are a host of goodies on offer, I noticed that both front seats get heated function, while only driver's seat receives ventilation. Should have been other way round, with both getting ventilation and only driver's seat getting heated function.

Apart from that, the car seems very well loaded and a great option for family cruising and even off the road.

They will also be offering the single turbo engine, which generates only about 163 PS of power, and 375 NM of torque. I hope they are targeting a shockingly low price with this engine.

Last edited by SDP : 28th September 2020 at 17:53. Reason: Typo
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks