Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 12:55   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
While there are a host of goodies on offer, I noticed that both front seats get heated function, while only driver's seat receives ventilation. Should have been other way round, with both getting ventilation and only driver's seat getting heated function
Also the massaging function is only present in the driver seat, should be the other way around or should be provided in both! Will the driver massage his back while driving or the passenger while travelling.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:47   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Also the massaging function is only present in the driver seat, should be the other way around or should be provided in both! Will the driver massage his back while driving or the passenger while travelling.
I am good with massaging, since the driver does not need to do anything with it. But cooling should have been provided for both front occupants.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:27   #243
BHPian

Great launch video!

The website appears to have more information on the variants and engine options. It seems that there will be a 6 seat version with captain seats in 3 variants (Saavy, Smart and Sharp) and 7 seat version with bench seats in 2 variants (Super and Sharp).

Also the lower powered single turbo (163ps) engine will come in the 2WD form and the twin turbo (218ps) is for the AWD variant. There could be a wide price band given the variants.

Here is the actual variant list:

4x2 7 seater 8 AT Super - 163ps 2WD - Black interior with part fabric, no sunroof, Analog dials
4x2 6 seater 8 AT Smart - 163ps 2WD - Brown interior, Standard sunroof
4x4 7 seater 8 AT Sharp - 218ps 4WD - Brown interior, Panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats
4x4 6 seater 8 AT Sharp - 218ps 4WD - Brown interior, Panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats
4x4 6 seater 8 AT Savvy - 218ps 4WD - All of sharp + Heated. Ventilated seats with massager etc

There's some space for a lower style variant in the future

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2020 at 19:02. Reason: As requested
clementj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:31   #244
BHPian

The launch was very unique and involved the audience (me) throughout
Here is the launch event link

While the name sounds funny (to me), it's feature-loaded. Fortuner looks bare bones when compared to Gloster, while Endeavour seems like a poor cousin.
Some features like adaptive cruise control (very useful in Indian highways), Emergency braking systems are not available even in SUVs 1 or 2 segments higher. (ex:2020 Discovery Sport)

Car is massive in size and packs a lot of goodies to keep the owners happy for a long time. The 3rd row seems usable by adults as well. I wish they had covered the water wadding capability.

If priced sensibly, this car will surely sell well.
harishpr is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:39   #245
BHPian

Super impressed by the car and the authentic presentation by MG India leadership team. Kudos to their marketing team for taking such innovative presentation. Car looks fully loaded with feature and all kind of luxury and comfort expected in a premium vehicle. Well done MG! . This car could give some competition to mighty fortuner if priced sensibly.
sajanjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:36   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Twin turbo diesel 200+ HP, Adaptive cruise, automatic emergency braking , automatic parking, captain seats, massage seats. MG surely is a manufacturer who is taking our market seriously.

So they are going to take on Innova, Endeavor, Fortuner, Superb, Compass - IF priced right, and with so many variants, its possible.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 16:46   #247
BHPian

If only Toyota & Honda could learn a thing or two from MG India. This seems to be a terrific product & knowing MG's aggressive pricing strategy, pretty confident that it will be undercut the Fortuner by a lakh or two.

Questions: Are there any laws/guidelines around ADAS technology in India? Has any other mainstream manufacturer used it? What happens to insurance claims if the inevitable happens? Would be great if someone on the forum could throw some light on these aspects.
Lazy Driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:06   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
I still haven't gotten over the name 'GLOSTER'. My current Clients in UK are based in 'Gloucester'. It sounds to me like a cheap copy of a name unless there is indeed a City/Town that is spelt the way MG have and Google has been unsuccessful in searching it.
The first British jet fighter. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_E.28/39
AirbusCapt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:26   #249
BANNED

I just like to point to the elephant(s) in the room.

1. It looks too much like FORD.
2. Its Chinese, should we be buying it!!
norhog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:34   #250
BHPian

Innovative unveiling to say the least, it kept me (Not a fan of MG) hooked to the screen for the entire duration.

I cannot help but compare it with the lame unveiling of the much hyped Thar, a great product deserves a great unveiling and Thar missed out on it by a big margin.

Coming to Gloster, the styling grew on me especially in the videos than in the photos. I will safely assume it will look much better in person.

Will it be successful? I don't think so, unless it is priced shockingly low when compared to the big boys Fortuner and Endeavour.

Last edited by manson : 25th September 2020 at 02:11. Reason: Typos.
Sk8r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:43   #251
Senior - BHPian

The iSmart mobile app has also been updated:

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screenshot_20200924194355__01.jpg

Last edited by coolkurt : 24th September 2020 at 19:44.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 08:50   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Its Chinese, should we be buying it!!
There are 7 new and yet to be registered MG hectors parked in our community as of today. That answers your question.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:01   #253
Senior - BHPian

I just went through some specs on Gloster website and the MG claims.
According to their claims it's increasingly pointing towards the fact that MG is positioning Gloster as a rival to Fortuner/Endeavour/Alturas and not in the segment above it.

Alturas is the widest, and therefore MG is not claiming Gloster to be the widest in its class.

PS- Endeavour makes 420 NM peak torque, ignore the mistake in table.

Edit- "Torque" and "Best in class" are the values hidden behind the Team BHP watermark.
Attached Images

Last edited by 07CR : 25th September 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Added information values behind watermark.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:35   #254
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster launch promo

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 13:47   #255
BHPian

It wouldn't be easy for MG to crack the 30L psychological barrier as many established brands have failed in the past - Isuzu MUX/MU7, Mahindra SangYong Alturas, Chevy Captiva/Trailblazer, Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan X-Trail, Renault Koleos, etc.,

Why not? You get entry level Germans at a little more, brand presence is important in this segment, established players like Ford Endeavour and Toyota Fortuner, can a brand like MG be able to garner that, does MG have an established after sales service in T2 cities/towns, tighter cash flows during the pandemic, poor sentiment on Chinese brands.

I would assume MG to play the VFM card by spec'ing up to the brim and price it significantly undercutting Ford Endeavour, Toyota Fortuner.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks