Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 14:13   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

MG Gloster first drive reviews

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th September 2020 at 14:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:33   #257

Genuinely impressed with the Gloster going by the reviews so far! A breath of fresh air in this long-standing duopoly of the Endeavour and the Fortuner. Not sure how the market sentiments are going to be considering its Chinese origins, but on merit alone, this is a very fine product!
sebastian5ettel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:16   #258
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I like the looks too. Its very traditional in how it looks, with none of the "pulled back skin", facets and sharp cuts in design of today.

Interior looks great, quality seems good, powerful engine and packed with features.

If they can price it well, they will have hit a home run. This brand has some great momentum and brand loyalty around it, which it has been able to build in a very short amount of time.
Old 25th September 2020, 17:19   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
If only Toyota & Honda could learn a thing or two from MG India
As well as Ford India! With Gloster coming in with a 200+ BHP engine, and so also (in all probability) the Fortuner 2021, Ford has just lost a significant market share by NOT launching the BS6 Endeavour with their twin-turbo offering. Folks shopping in that segment want everything in KING SIZE, including engine power! Surprisingly sad move by Ford India.

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th September 2020 at 17:34.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:20   #260
BHPian

I think MG is being a bit optimistic if it prices it in the same ballpark as the rivals.

Because if Mahindra being a much more established player in the industry couldn't crack this segment with the Alturas then MG certainly can't just based on the autonomous bits and gizmos.

But yes if priced 4-5 lacs lesser than competition then they might have a good chance.
Old 25th September 2020, 17:23   #261
Senior - BHPian

The Gloster looks great inside-out! (except for that ugly badge on the tailgate ). I was browsing ACI's IG story and saw that the last row had plenty of space for medium-sized adults. Loved the interior, especially the Tan interior and captain-seats. They exude a proper luxurious feel. Also noticed that there is a decent amount of bootspace with the 3 rows up too. Great features
too, both interior and drivetrain related. Now, MG only has to price it bang-on in Fortuner/Endeavour territory and they should have a winner.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:37   #262
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
It wouldn't be easy for MG to crack the 30L psychological barrier as many established brands have failed in the past - Isuzu MUX/MU7, Mahindra SangYong Alturas, Chevy Captiva/Trailblazer, Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan X-Trail, Renault Koleos, etc.,
All the above mentioned products had some or the other thing lacking. For instance-
Isuzu,Captiva/Trailblazer,Nissan X-trail - Had very uninspiring interiors or had extremely low feature levels for the segment.

Renault Koleos, Santa FE lacked the big SUVish looks expected in the segment. Koleos especially looked very bland.

Alturas- Despite doing a bit of everything, was priced too close to the Fortuner and Endeavour. But relatively, it has been way more successful than other listed SUVs. Brand recall of MG is also way better than Mahindra, for a premium SUV.

From whatever I have seen of the Gloster till now, it is not lacking on any front as compared to the rivals. Seen some reviews, and they are also going GAGA over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Why not? You get entry level Germans at a little more, brand presence is important in this segment, established players like Ford Endeavour and Toyota Fortuner, can a brand like MG be able to garner that, does MG have an established after sales service in T2 cities/towns, tighter cash flows during the pandemic, poor sentiment on Chinese brands.
Not sure of these factors. I mean you get entry level Germans, in their 5 seater options in this price point. The size of those cars is also way smaller than the Gloster/Endeavour. I mean if that was the case, the Fortuner/Endeavour too would not have succeeded. People, buying Fortuner/Endeavour are also vary of the extremely high upkeep costs of the German trio. Gloster, from whatever I have read of Hector's after sales costs, will definitely benefit from this.
07CR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 18:50   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I think MG is being a bit optimistic if it prices it in the same ballpark as the rivals.

Because if Mahindra being a much more established player in the industry couldn't crack this segment with the Alturas then MG certainly can't just based on the autonomous bits and gizmos.

But yes if priced 4-5 lacs lesser than competition then they might have a good chance.
On the contrary I think Mahindra, even if they tried to crack the segment today, will fail.

My gut feeling is if you do a survey, buyers will be more willing to put up Rs 30 lakhs for an MG than for a Mahindra.
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:24   #264
BHPian

As per overdrive, expect the lower trims of Gloster to complete with the Endeavour and Fortuner, the highest trim (with all the bells and whistles) will compete with the premium compact SUVs . Hence expect the top end Gloster to be priced approximately around 50/55 lakh on road.
Old 25th September 2020, 20:19   #265
Senior - BHPian

In most of the reviews, presenters have mentioned about the SUV competing with the likes of Prado and Jeep Cherokee abroad. This must have been a deliberate thought planted by MG during their briefings. So, when they actually announce the price, which probably is going to be 5 lakhs more than the Endeavor/Fortuner, people may be still happy because the real competitors would have costed 75+ lakhs. But then the numbers are going to be really small and if they want to do 1000+ cars every month, they need to price it on par with the Fortuner, if not lesser.
Guna is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 20:37   #266
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

One great thing I have observed is, everyone is saying this has the best third row seating. Something really necessary in the segment.
07CR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 23:54   #267
BHPian

The MG Gloster is huge with a massive road presence and an extended list of features. It is even taller than the mammoth X7. It packs in a lot of segment 1st features and the interiors too look way more premium than the rivals. I'm glad that the introduction of the Twin turbo diesel in this segment will definitely make the rivals Ford and Toyota to launch the more powerful Diesel engines very soon. The Hector's proven success has made MG a reputed brand in the Indian market, and I'm sure if priced right, this would be an sureshot hit in the Indian market. Eagerly waiting for the festive season to know the exact pricing.
mr_freakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:13   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_freakky View Post
The Hector's proven success has made MG a reputed brand in the Indian market, and I'm sure if priced right, this would be an sureshot hit in the Indian market. Eagerly waiting for the festive season to know the exact pricing.
Autocar is predicting 35L ex showroom for the top end 'Savvy' variant. If this is true, then i would say tough days ahead for Ford & Toyota !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-glo.jpg  

Last edited by LionX : 26th September 2020 at 00:31.
LionX is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 00:16   #269
BHPian

MG - GLOSTER Indias First level one autonomous premium SUV
Volvo - Chal jhoote..😏

Xc60s and S60s way back from 2011 had all these features
Turbo roast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 02:06   #270
Senior - BHPian

Autocar claims that the Gloster has best in class ride and handling as well as refinement. That's a first for an MG.

If they price it right, they're going to have a big winner. MG has already gained acceptance as a premium SUV brand in India.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed