Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 15:07   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Sensible pricing. Anything lower than this would send a 'I am not good enough' kind of signal, especially in this segment. People in this segment wouldn't mind couple of lakhs more but they wouldn't compromise on the quality of the product.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:31   #377
BHPian

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screen-shot-20201008-3.01.38-pm.png

I drew this up to see the larger picture of other cross shoppers, possibly from similarly priced different body vehicles. This also shows the birds eye perspective of how the Gloster stands, beyond direct comparison to Endeavour and Fortuner alone.

Look at the Gloster sitting smack in the middle of the Fortuner Endeavour bandwidth and mind you, this includes bottom end petrol Fortuners and the TRD Fortuner and Endeavour all black sport on the top end of the spectrum. MG nudges its savvy version very close to these special editions.

Actually the top end Gloster Savvy is more expensive than the regular top end of both these cars.

Gloster 2.0 4WD AT Savvy 35.38
Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4WD AT 34.43
Ford Endeavour Titanium+ 2.0 4WD AT 34.45

This actually complicates things for MG because at the outset things look hunky dory, unless you actually sit down and do the numbers for signing on the dotted line. This inflates into a wider gap when we see on road difference.

In my opinion, having seen the car in person, the asking price seems appropriate considering the kit on offer. BUT, in the present market , especially when you're going against the decade strong champion Fortuner, the pricing at least introductory should have been more aggressive, especially when you're wearing a lesser known MG badge.

With these prices, sweetly overlapping with Fortuner, Toyota definitely has nothing to worry about and will hold its 1500 per month steady. The Fortuner buyer would not be swayed away by anything that the Gloster offers, no matter what.

The Endeavour clientele is another story. They buy Endeavour for its good looks and the feature laden value proposition which makes the Fortuner look overpriced. Thats the success story that cemented Endeavour in the second spot for the last 4 years in premium D2.

The Endeavour buyers have already been brave enough to look beyond the peace of mind quotient and bullet proof Toyota reliability and I would give them points for being adventurous in that sense. I reckon, they would be open minded to give another product a chance too if they see the value in it. The Ford Mahindra JV and Ford's future in India does create some sentiment opposite the big Ford and gives just enough toe room for MG to nudge some sales away.
The Endeavour's 500 per month average, could see a few cross deck, because compared to the top end Ford Endeavour Sport, the Savvy Gloster packs much more kit and space.

Size, plush and features. The Gloster looks like a fresh alternative to someone who is not that much brand conscious or brand curious and just wants a big 6-7 seater luxury car under 50 lakh.

Mahindra was punished for braving to cross the 30 lakh embargo as an Indian brand and the market was not acceptable of that idea. Somehow MG enjoys a better reputation and can sneak into this league. I feel the Gloster will see numbers much better than what the Alturas and the MU-X saw, but will definitely not disrupt the segment.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:48   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Would be immensely helpful if the chart had "Yes" in Green and "No" in Red within the comparo.
Here you go. Updated the price as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-image1.jpg  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-image2.jpg  

Last edited by LionX : 8th October 2020 at 16:04.
LionX is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:56   #379
Senior - BHPian

What a coincidence. It was 5 years ago in October 2015 that GM India launched another large SUV, Chevrolet Trailblazer!
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 16:18   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fortuner TRD is a limited edition variant limited to only 300 units hence Autocar has not included it in it's price checker. Don't know whether the Endeavour Sport is also a similar case.
Old 8th October 2020, 16:23   #381
Team-BHP Support

Its worth noting the all important asterixed fine print. That they have pitched these prices as introductory for calendar October or first 2000 customers. Lets see if they hold good with these or if they hike prices by next month and by how much.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 17:05   #382
BHPian

In my humble opinion the demographics of people who buy these Ladder Frame ( Fortuner type If I may say) SUVs are very different.

Gloster with this pricing can target only a small urban large SUV buyer who can reason for parameters like Reliability, features or Off Road ability(Case in point large chunk of today's Endeavour buyers).

I feel large chunk of buyers of Fortuners can be explained like:

"Fortuner hi chahiye" (Need only Fortuner)Buyers:

I spent my childhood and good part of my youth in UP EAST (Lucknow, Varanasi), UP WEST (Modinagar, Meerut, Muradnagar, Hapur), NCR, Kolkata and now Chennai.

People in the aforementioned North Indian regions (UP, NCR) categorized Fortuners as a currency. Example - If a tier 1 Govt Employee or Doctor is getting married then as dowry Fortuner to be given was almost a must (Note: I absolutely detest dowry and other regressive cancers of our society), if you won a Gram Panchayat election you need to have a Fortuner, If you are MLA you ride in Fortuner with your staff following in Scorpios (few in Bolero), if you think you have become important & want random people to think yourself as important, you ride in Fortuner.

People of the above type barely saw Endeavours leave alone Alturas and all as a something to buy in place of Fortuner. For them, Gloster simply will never make sense. This is where Gloster is lacking. Endeavour is 16 year old brand here and MG should have undercut it by atleast 3-4 lacs to make any kind of substancial dent.

Side Note: Once I moved to Chennai or even Hyderabad I saw the number of Fortuners much lesser than in Northern Cities.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2020 at 20:23. Reason: T Fort > Fortuner
AMG1 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 17:25   #383
Senior - BHPian

The guy who is in charge of the badges seriously needs to calm down now.

Autonomous vehicle L1
Internet Inside
G-L-O-S-T-E-R ?
Morris Garages on the hood?

The days of exclaiming AC, ABS, 16 Valves are long gone buddy!
aravind.anand is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 18:48   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Side Note: Once I moved to Chennai or even Hyderabad I saw the number of Fortuners much lesser than in Northern Cities.
Sorry for going OT;
The Fortuner and Innova's major customer base is situated in Delhi-NCR and the neighboring places, no wonder there are so many up north (roughly 60-70% sales of the Fortuner come from here if not more), Toyota have themselves said this. This is also one of the reason Toyota is the sole manufacturer providing a petrol engine in both of the cars in their respective segments because they were the worst affected due to the diesel ban.

I was going through some instagram handle (MLA's son in Delhi-Gurgaon I guess), you won't believe it but the dude had 8 Fortuners apart from the usual Audi, Mercedes and BMWs, yes you read that right 8 of them. There is a certain craze of people for the Fortuner in North India that just can't be explained, now if you tell the same person to buy an Endeavour he will shy away from it forget the Gloster!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th October 2020 at 18:57.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:30   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Lets not write MG off, that comparison chart should really give the Ford and Toyota management a little cause for worry if they are not arrogant enough.

The number of things those established vehicles did not give the customer at 40L+ price tag is glaringly evident now. If this vehicle succeeds we can expect better cars in this price tag from all brands.

MG scored on the visuals, it looked Taller, Longer, Wider and it sure is.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:45   #386
BHPian

I want the Gloster to become a considerable success. Toyota has taken advantage of it's reliability quotient and Ford doesn't seem to bring in the Bi-Turbo. They should realise that when the customer is paying you 40-43L , they deserve a powerful engine and a luxurious interior with considerable amount of features. When I think about our family getting a Fortuner, the many compromises stand out. Really hope the Gloster impacts the segment in a good way.
SNOWY227 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 21:48   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Sorry for going OT;
The Fortuner and Innova's major customer base is situated in Delhi-NCR and the neighboring places, no wonder there are so many up north (roughly 60-70% sales of the Fortuner come from here if not more), Toyota have themselves said this. This is also one of the reason Toyota is the sole manufacturer providing a petrol engine in both of the cars in their respective segments because they were the worst affected due to the diesel ban.

I was going through some instagram handle (MLA's son in Delhi-Gurgaon I guess), you won't believe it but the dude had 8 Fortuners apart from the usual Audi, Mercedes and BMWs, yes you read that right 8 of them. There is a certain craze of people for the Fortuner in North India that just can't be explained, now if you tell the same person to buy an Endeavour he will shy away from it forget the Gloster!
Exactly what I mentioned in my posts. Fortuners are somewhat currency there. Definition of saying 'Not only have I arrived but I am powerful too'- especially in rural UP WEST it was clearly evident for the 5 years i spent there. (I, personally dont subscribe to such brashness though)

MG being Gurgaon headquartered may be perfectly aware of it. I think they want to target generally urban/discrete/aware crowd.

I have a long list of people from my homestate UP & NCR doing funny bordering stupid/illegal way to acquire a FORTUNER, but that maybe some thing for another thread.
AMG1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:36   #388
BHPian

I believe the MG has launched the Gloster at prices somewhere between what was expected and what it should've been in the first place. Nothing special, IMHO.

The comparatively sparse Toyota Fortuner is still going to rule the roost as it has since launch and people looking at the Ford Endeavour are still going to go for that "Built Tough" image that comes with it. Of course, some sway is going to occur but nothing to write home about.

Again, this is only my personal opinion but the Gloster just doesn't look special enough. Styling is a big factor for our discerning Indian janta and the Fortuner and Endeavour both pip the Chinese imposter in that department. The Hector at least had that going for it.

As much as I love understated, classy timeless designs, if I was a manufacturer, I'd err on the 'overstyled' side of things (through gritted teeth) for the Indian car scene. Examples aplenty, like the XUV500, Creta, Seltos among many others.

Another factor is that it is still grossly unproven. We know nothing about this motor, it's ruggedness and reliability in the long term, especially in harsh conditions like ours.

Also my personal opinion- is that this is clearly a Chinese spy dressed in a cheap Oxford suit. Indians aren't going to ignore that just because SAIC has decided to throw at us a bunch of features and written 'MG' on it with a Sharpie.
Singh101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:18   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
I won’t lie but I’d be drooling over the specs in this car if Mahindra or Tata were the manufacturers. T
Please check the Mahindra Alturas G4. You wont be disappointed. I own one and I see a lot of similarities in designs and feature wise. The Alturas is surely great VFM.
Pkumarblore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:45   #390
BHPian

It's been several days and I still can't shake off the feeling that the interiors have been heavily inspired by BMW. No idea about quality, but the design is so uncannily similar that if you replace the badges with BMW ones, nobody would bat an eyelid.

Anyone else feel the same?
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks