Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 15:54   #421
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
MG's offering is significantly more premium, half a size larger, more spacious even internally, more comfortable and just looks a clear segment above - all of this at the same price point or even a hint lower. Lets see how this plays out.
Couldn't have said it better. I think majority of the members saying here that Gloster won't do well, might very well be solely due to the Chinese ownership of MG. If this was a TATA vehicle, I am sure many of them would be drooling over it.

I believe we are in for a fierce battle in this segment, and I see Gloster beating the Endeavour in sales, and maybe even threaten the Fortuner in a very close contest.

Last edited by 07CR : 15th October 2020 at 15:55.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:10   #422
BHPian

IMO in addition to parentage being essentially Chinese, most individuals won't think it would be safer to plonk about 40 lacs on a Toyota / Ford or maybe even compromise on size and get the smaller Audi Q3/Q2 or an X1. MG may be investing truck loads of money on their India operations & manufacturing facilities, but I guess its a long way to go for them.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:20   #423
BHPian

Many people still think that MG is a British Brand, and MG is trying rally hard to propagate that perception with "Brit Dynamics" badging etc. Those you want a bigger vehicle than Forturner & Endy wont mid putting money on it.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:32   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
MG's offering is significantly more premium, half a size larger, more spacious even internally, more comfortable and just looks a clear segment above - all of this at the same price point or even a hint lower. Lets see how this plays out.
As I said, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong as I would love to see Toyota and Ford jolted out of their complacency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I think majority of the members saying here that Gloster won't do well, might very well be solely due to the Chinese ownership of MG.
That was not my point at all. My point was solely based on the pricing.

Quote:
I see Gloster beating the Endeavour in sales, and maybe even threaten the Fortuner in a very close contest.
I highly doubt that but then again, more than happy to be proven wrong here!
Old 15th October 2020, 17:28   #425
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That was not my point at all. My point was solely based on the pricing.
My post was not directed to you in particular. BHPians on earlier pages of this thread have admitted that if it was not Chinese, they would be drooling over it.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:13   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My post was not directed to you in particular. BHPians on earlier pages of this thread have admitted that if it was not Chinese, they would be drooling over it.
I doubt if Chinese origins will impact the sales anyway. The Rexton was quite premium compared to Endeavour and Fortuner and was priced cheaper. Yet could not make a dent. Problem with new entrants is, they are fighting against brands that were established 15-20 years ago. As a product, Gloster is good and has tonne's of feature and also a size bigger. 40-45Lac is big bucks, and most will think twice before investing on a new brand.
Old 16th October 2020, 10:39   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
IMO in addition to parentage being essentially Chinese, most individuals won't think it would be safer to plonk about 40 lacs on a Toyota / Ford or maybe even compromise on size and get the smaller Audi Q3/Q2 or an X1. MG may be investing truck loads of money on their India operations & manufacturing facilities, but I guess its a long way to go for them.
I agree with you. If I am going to plonk 40 big ones I wouldn't do it on a Chinese car with false pedigree. It's just a copy with a British name. I would any day go with a T-Fort or an Endeavour. The latter being my favourite.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:16   #428
BHPian

The Gloster has had mixed reviews for its design. For those who didn't really take a keen liking to it, I'm just going to leave a picture down below here. You may not have liked it in its SUV form, can you say the same about its pickup variant?
Don't know about you but sure I'll be the first one to cash in if MG/Maxus plans to make this a reality!

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiana...ry-nid7589/amp
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mgglosterpickuptruckfront3quarters6f50.jpg  

Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 18:31   #429
BHPian

MG Gloster off-road test turned unimpressive here in this video shared by social media influencer Mr.Sujith Baktan from Kerala, who is also an owner of a MG Hector from the initial launch days.

The video is in Malayalam, duo faced problems like :

*Jerking gear shifts during 3-4 gears and confused tranny on hairpins and twisty Wayanad roads.

*Later during the mild off-road attempts lack of low gear ratio and lowest ground clearance killed the thrill.

*Finally the transmission surrendered with a text message 'Faulty transmission' intermittently.
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screenshot_20201030175821571_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

It's a huge PR failure for MG-SAIC Kerala team, as this guy was one of the reason for the strong Hector sales in mid-Kerala, which contributed more than 10% to the overall sales in 2019.
Might be a faulty test-drive car , but not at all confidence inspiring with lot of rattles and quality issues observed in a single car. Shocked to find even it's battery is made in China.

MG might force him to remove the video soon.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 30th October 2020 at 18:39.
TorqueIndia is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 19:12   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
MG Gloster off-road test turned unimpressive here in this video shared by social media influencer Mr.Sujith Baktan from Kerala, who is also an owner of a MG Hector from the initial launch days.

The video is in Malayalam, duo faced problems like :

*Jerking gear shifts during 3-4 gears and confused tranny on hairpins and twisty Wayanad roads.

*Later during the mild off-road attempts lack of low gear ratio and lowest ground clearance killed the thrill.

*Finally the transmission surrendered with a text message 'Faulty transmission' intermittently.

It's a huge PR failure for MG-SAIC Kerala team, as this guy was one of the reason for the strong Hector sales in mid-Kerala, which contributed more than 10% to the overall sales in 2019.
Might be a faulty test-drive car , but not at all confidence inspiring with lot of rattles and quality issues observed in a single car. Shocked to find even it's battery is made in China.

MG might force him to remove the video soon.
In off-roading the Fortuner is the goat! And I would think 3-4 times before plonking 40L in the Gloster and even after that not knowing what will fail in it. It is full of electronic gizmos, in the earlier years it may appeal to a lot of people but then it’s the reliability and durability that matters in the long run!

Also was this a pre-production car or a recently manufactured one?
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 19:18   #431
Team-BHP Support

ACI compares the Gloster against the Fortuner, Endeavour and Alturas -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 19:55   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
ACI compares the Gloster against the Fortuner, Endeavour and Alturas
IMO ACI reviews are predominantly based on the interior feel and how new the car is!

When the Alturas was compared with the bunch it had won, now the Gloster won (both cases what was better? the interior and features and what happened to the sales figures! It was exactly opposite of the order of the winners). The Gloster has a soft ride no way is it the leader in terms of ride and handling! Don’t get me started on off-roading. Had it been the 3.2L Endeavour ACI would have given it the win. Endeavour is the clear winner to my unbiased eyes. I have stopped watching and reading such comparisons they have become simply too biased!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 20:06   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I have stopped watching
One takeaway for me from this video, is the Fortuner.

The moment they show all the interiors and ends up with the Fortuner - it just feels like a full two-three segments below! Even the noise levels from the action camera is evidently higher in the Fortuner compared to the other three.

I feel the pick of the segment remains to be the Endeavour - hopefully more competition can force Ford to upgrade the engine spec.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 13:02   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Looks like they don’t know what they are doing. Rock mode on Gloster automatically engage 4L - Rock mode on Endeavour will prompt you to engage 4L. @5:55 He says Fortuner & Endeavour has rear differential lock. That’s not true either, fortuner doesn’t have rear differential lock.

See the below video @5:36

Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-9885dcb4dfb547c5b178b5793948d7ff.jpeg  

LionX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 13:29   #435
Senior - BHPian

The Gloster has over 2000 bookings and is apparently sold out for 2020. Deliveries should be starting from November.

Source
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed