Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 23:14   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

The interiors definitely look great & well put together. Those blank labels on the seats should've been replaced though. Would've cost nothing to have "Gloster" engraved onto them.

The engine capacity of the Gloster is 1996cc, whereas the engine capacity of the FIAT 2.0 MJD is 1956cc, (both are 4-cylinder units), which means MG has either used SIACs own engine (Likely, since it's a CKD kit),

OR

heavily re-worked on the FIAT 2.0MJD (for a longer piston stroke, possibly for some basic torque grunt in the lower end of the revs while the bi-turbo spooled in the mid & high rev range for peak torque) viz also likely as it the engine already doing duty on both, the Hector and Hector+.

Point being, this is surprisingly austere & smart as it'd help reduce costs and that'd help MG position the Gloster as a very competitive package!

IMO The single turbo variant would have good mid-range torque for its respective peak performance. It'd be a relatively "decent" highway cruiser, whereas the bi-turbo would be perform " exceedingly well" in this regard.

Reliability : It would've been mattered if this was a new engine, but it's a tried and tested block that SIAC has already been using.

Feature Kit : I'm NOT taken in by some of the Glosters equipment, like say the ADAS. There are many Car Dash-Cams that have the lane departure feature and it's a pain in Indian conditions where highway traffic requires one to depart their lane many times - it needs to be switched off even in those dash-cams.

Valid factors of the competition would be Toyota's Reliability while FORD too seems to be soon coming with its bi-turbo Endeavour which would have a 10-Speed Automatic Gearbox, well equipped and a known brand. Both will see tough times since the Endeavour bi-turbo isn't here yet and Toyota Fortuner anyway was neither VFM nor did they offer the kit level that's offered in other markets.

This segment craved competition & here it is !

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th September 2020 at 23:24.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 23:35   #302
BHPian

The Gloster's size is it's calling card. If the premium D2 - 7 seater full size SUVs are already XL size, then the Gloster packs a little bit extra at XL+.

Even with 19inchers, the side profile begs for bigger tires.

Looks wise Im not at all a fan of the Hector, find it too disproportionate and gashed out here and there.The Gloster, well, is better and more pleasing to the eye. It does look rather fancy and suave compared to the butch competition.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 07:44   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31

I am still not swung by the long term reliability or how these shiny bits will hold up with some age. And though the specs sheet has lots of bragging rights, we need to wait and watch if its only a paper tiger. The mechanicals in this car have still not proven their worth to earn our trust.

MG Gloster is going all guns blazing in its typical Chinese formula...awe the customer with the laundry list of features and a big screen with internet. The only question is...
If you had 35 lakhs, would you buy an all specced out Xiaomi or would you rather buy an established Apple /Samsung ?
Wrong comparison IMO. Let's say will you buy a OnePlus over a Samsung or iPhone? I certainly would considering how robust the onePlus is, and what overpriced baubles the Samsung or iPhone are.
Extending this argument to cars, if the Gloster is as reliable as the Hector it could very well show the mirror to the overpriced and terribly underspecced vehicles that Toyota produces in India.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:56   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Wrong comparison IMO. Let's say will you buy a OnePlus over a Samsung or iPhone? I certainly would considering how robust the onePlus is, and what overpriced baubles the Samsung or iPhone are.
Extending this argument to cars, if the Gloster is as reliable as the Hector it could very well show the mirror to the overpriced and terribly underspecced vehicles that Toyota produces in India.
True, I must agree because, personally I shifted from all Mac ecosystem to OnePlus for phone last year precisely, for what it offered against competition. And it suddenly made the iPhone(and perhaps Samsung) look more pricier than it was already. Ive made that remark above, that a disruptive entry like this does help us, the Indian car buyer, at the end, challenging entrenched competition taking us for a ride. Of course this is dependent on Gloster making a price sensitive compelling case for itself, which we will know when the prices are revealed.

But I state again, the OnePlus has discretely dis-associated itself from its chinese origins more successfully in our minds (at least in mine) than say the Xiaomi, so much so that whatever prejudice I carry in my head is overruled by the value equation with great quality at a great price (against ok quality at ok price). I just wish MG can elevate itself IMHO from the Xiaomi bracket to the One Plus camp. Im going OT with phone comparisons so will stop it here.

Our market has been forgiving to even bargain brands from abroad if they came here with a good value proposition and we have rewarded them with an enviable 'status' here unlike any other market. So all is not lost yet for the Gloster, price is key.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 12:44   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Only the above mentioned features or are there are any more feature deletions ?
If you received any brochure of variant breakup, please do post on the forum.
I got these from the sales guy listing out the variants and the trim and equipment levels. I hope this helps. The tail gate remote closing is available from the smart variant and the massage feature is available in the Sharp variant itself. It would appear that the Saavy Variant gets the ADAS including the auto park function over the sharp variant. ADAS features
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-1-glostervariants.png  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-2-glostersafety.png  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-3-glosterexterior.png  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-4a-glosterequipment.png  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-5-glostercolors.png  

Last edited by clementj : 29th September 2020 at 12:53.
clementj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:40   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
I got these from the sales guy listing out the variants and the trim and equipment levels. I hope this helps. The tail gate remote closing is available from the smart variant and the massage feature is available in the Sharp variant itself. It would appear that the Saavy Variant gets the ADAS including the auto park function over the sharp variant.
In addition to ADAS, SAVVY would also get Illuminated scuff plates and
64 colour Ambient Lighting (since these are not mentioned anywhere for other variants). I am not sure if it gets the door warning lamps, available in Fortuner.

In terms of features even the SMART variant appears decently kitted. Infact it's on par with the Fortuner non TRD varaints, with only missing bits of powered co driver seat and auto dimming IRVM. It does get a sunroof, Android Auto and Apple Carplay, 3 zone climate control, cornering lamps and connected car tech, heated ORVMS, Electronic parking brake with Auto hold over the Fortuner.

Last edited by 07CR : 29th September 2020 at 13:58.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 16:48   #307
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of features even the SMART variant appears decently kitted. Infact it's on par with the Fortuner non TRD varaints
Exactly but 'Smart' variant is only available in 2WD. Looks like the difference between the 'Sharp' & 'Savvy' is limited to few features

Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Automatic Parking Assist (APA)
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MG Gloster - Launch Brochure.pdf (6.09 MB, 545 views)
LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:15   #308
BHPian

Just ran into the Autocar Team with Renuka Kriplani reviewing the MG Gloster near my place in Navi Mumbai.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-20200929_174207.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-20200929_174150.jpg

The car looked very well proportioned and has subdued styling as mentioned here already, though the front is a bit too close to the Ford Endeavor. I however, still like the front on the Hector which is more distinctive.
PGNarain is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 18:36   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Exactly but 'Smart' variant is only available in 2WD. Looks like the difference between the 'Sharp' & 'Savvy' is limited to few features

Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Automatic Parking Assist (APA)
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
I was waiting for the brochure. So what does the Sharp variant get above the Endeavour Titanium +?

Telescopic steering adjust
360 degree camera
Cornering lamps
Auto leveling headlamps
64 color ambient light in both rows (endeavour misses out on rear ambient lights)
Illuminated scuff plates
12 speaker music system vs 10 speaker on Ford
Paddle shifters
Electronic parking brake with auto hold
12 way power adjust for driver seats
Memory settings for driver seat and mirror
Easy access system
Ventilated, heated and massaging driver seat
Heated passenger seat
3 zone AC
Blindspot detection

Endeavour in comparison gets
7 Airbags vs 6 on Gloster
Power 3rd row seats

To conclude, even without the ADAS, MG is offering way more compared to the competition. Despite so much kit, engine and size advantage, I hope they don't try to match the pricing with competition and infact undercut them by some margin to succeed.

Last edited by 07CR : 29th September 2020 at 18:48.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 22:56   #310
BHPian

With so much equipment, is it realistic to expect prices to be less than the competition? MG will have to do a Jio - knowingly under-cut the price, take a hit on margins till the car generates demand and gradually increase the prices.
Old 30th September 2020, 00:19   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
With so much equipment, is it realistic to expect prices to be less than the competition? MG will have to do a Jio - knowingly under-cut the price, take a hit on margins till the car generates demand and gradually increase the prices.
Like who doesn't do that? Are you forgetting "Introductory prices"?
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 06:46   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
This same car undercuts the Fortuner /Everest in foreign markets by a margin of around 12 lakh rupees (Everest/Fortuner are better equipped in foreign markets). Even if we take into account that this will be a CKD car, we can still expect MG to undercut the Fortuner/Endeavour by atleast 6 lakh rupees (assuming 50% rise, considering the CKD factor).
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:21   #313
BHPian

Quote:
So what does the Sharp variant get above the Endeavour Titanium +?

Telescopic steering adjust
360 degree camera
Cornering lamps
Auto leveling headlamps
64 color ambient light in both rows (endeavour misses out on rear ambient lights)
Illuminated scuff plates
12 speaker music system vs 10 speaker on Ford
Paddle shifters
Electronic parking brake with auto hold
12 way power adjust for driver seats
Memory settings for driver seat and mirror
Easy access system
Ventilated, heated and massaging driver seat
Heated passenger seat
3 zone AC
Blindspot detection

Endeavour in comparison gets
7 Airbags vs 6 on Gloster
Power 3rd row seats
Just to make it easy for the members
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-compare.jpg  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-compare1-2.jpg  

LionX is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 19:30   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Just to make it easy for the members
That's quite detailed one. Thanks. However some corrections-

Ambient light- Unlike MG, Ford doesn't get it in the rear, and across the dashboard.
Third row reclining seat- MG and Toyota offer it. Ford does not.
3 Zone AC. Only MG offers it, ford's brochure says 2 zone.
Heated ORVM- Ford gets it.
Rear Fog lamps- Toyota gets it.
Outside mirror logo projection- Basically puddle lamps. Ford gets it.
Warning lamps on door. Only Toyota gets it.
Old 30th September 2020, 20:10   #315
BHPian

The pricing is going to knock the socks of the market. To capture the market SAIC would definitely be willing to eat into their margins. Except a 5-7l difference on like variants
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks