Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:26   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
It does have a low-range transfer case, which gets engaged automatically along with "Rock mode", which makes perfect sense IMO, as opposed to the Endeavour where the car tells you to engage 4x4 Low before you can switch to "Rock mode".
This is still not very clear IMO. I remember one of the reviewer mentioning that the 'Rock Mode' uses something similar to the Compass Trailhawk, which is basically an 'additional' gear ratio which mimics the 'low range'.
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:44   #332
BHPian

Any ideas when the pricing announcement is expected ?
Old 4th October 2020, 00:03   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
It's been prepped for an October launch so I'm sure it's going to start retailing during the Navratras..so I guess between 17-25th Oct.
Old 5th October 2020, 20:36   #334
VRJ
BHPian

Well, I was talking to a good friend who lives in my apartment. He got a Hector recently. We were chatting about the Gloster and I was sarcastically telling him to sell the Hector and get the Gloster and he said it’s more than twice the price. I told him that the official launch hasn’t happened, the price is yet to be announced.

He said NO, two cars have already been delivered in Vizag and 7 more on the way. It costs around 46.5 on-road for the top end. I just couldn’t believe it. That is not possible. How can they deliver a car that hasn’t been launched? He called a sales guy, that sold him the Hector, in front of me and the sales guy told me the same thing.

I still find this a bit hard to believe. But, if true, the price is a shocker. I wasn’t expecting MG to price it above the Fortuner and the Endeavour. I was always with the assumption that MG would price the high end (4x4 AT) where the Fortuner range begins (4x2 MT). At the same time, It is a bit unfair to expect MG to price a car with the most powerful engine, the most premium interiors (looks that way in pictures, I don’t know how the actual quality is), biggest in terms of dimensions and few segment first features. Although I personally don’t want to pay a premium for the ADAS as I would never use it on our highways. Then again, MG is playing the value card in India because their cars are all rebadged cars and their R&D costs are spread across multiple brands and countries.

In Faisal Khans video, he gives us a demo of a service where you can call their customer care and ask them any doubt regarding the car. He asks what is the Gloster competing against? The customer care agent has no answer and she keeps repeating the word ‘premium’ and he asks which specific cars is the Gloster competing with and she doesn’t say Fortuner or Endeavour. Since then I had a feeling that MG might price it above the Fortuner segment.

What’s disappointing is Toyota India hates value and wants not only to be most reliable but also the costliest car in the segment. I have a feeling the next-gen Fortuner is going to cost above 50L. My wallet is not going to be happy when I eventually upgrade.

Any news on the official launch?

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:27   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Well, I was talking to a good friend who lives in my apartment. He got a Hector recently. We were chatting about the

Cheers!
The On road prices are often confusing indicators as lot depends on add ons and local state taxes. Ex showroom is best for variant comparisons.

Vizag current prices roughly from Cardekho Fortuner stands like this( on road. )

Fortuner 2.8 AT 4X4 - 41.08
Fortuner TRD AT 4X4- 43.98

So your source suggests prices kind of overlap and spill north probably based on add ons . Cam the sales guy throw us an exshowroom number?

The closest analogy for a new entrant taking on the entrenched best seller would be the Carnival - Innova case.

Innova Crysta 15.66 - 24.67
Kia Carnival 24.95 - 33.95

The Kia outclasses the Innova on every front and is actually carving out a new class above the Innova for itself in terms of space and size. The only way these two can even be considered competition is because of the clientele overlap with possible cross shop or upsales from Innova bracket. Still Kia Carnival has been the least performer for the company compared to its value tagged Seltos and Sonet which have decimated their respective segment. Note the Carnival is probably worth its sum of parts at its asking price. International relative placements would concur.

Gloster definitely is not a clear new segment above premium D2. It is at best a better specced rival. Heck, this thread title reassures us of the perception. International positioning in the Gloster scenario would be reversed because it undercuts Fortuner globally by a good margin. So I seriously doubt if Gloster would commit heresy by overpricing against the Fortuner in India.Also, in India, MG is not yet even Kia.

This would be market suicide for MG and Mr Rajeev Chaba would know better.

I doubt this information , while I understand your sales source is too truistic, I would suggest to hold on till official launch.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:44   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Launch is scheduled on October 8.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/mg-g...ome-topstories
LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:32   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
46.5 on-road for the top end. The next-gen Fortuner is going to cost above 50L.
If the price trend continues to be unrealistic and dumb like this across all brands, a day will come when I will say to hell with these cars and buy myself 2 altroz or 2 xuv 300s and go around driving my family like a convoy of 2 cars where ever we go.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:12   #338
BHPian

Found this very interesting review from Australia.
ADAS is a bit glitchy.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/842136/...diesel-review/
Old 7th October 2020, 18:08   #339
Senior - BHPian

MG has put up a video which shows how the Gloster is assembled at its Halol Plant. The launch is set for 8th Oct 2020.

coolkurt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 18:48   #340
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster SUV bags 500 bookings ahead of launch, may start at Rs 28 lakh

From the article:

1. MG will start delivering Gloster from Oct 25

2. They recieved 500 bookings as today. Booking amount is Rs 1 lakh each.

3. They are capable of delivering 250-300 cars by the end of the month and 2000 cars by the end of the year.

4. They have a modest target of 6000 units per year/500 units per month.

5. Pricing is expected to be Rs 28 lakh to Rs 40 lakh (ex-showroom)
avishar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:16   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
[
5. Pricing is expected to be Rs 28 lakh to Rs 40 lakh (ex-showroom)
The pricing was expected to be on those lines, especially on Team Bhp. The lower end variants will surely undercut the Fortuner and Endeavour.

500+ bookings is a pretty good response, especially at this price point. MG's strategy of being high on bling and tech is reaping benefits.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:14   #342
BHPian

It appears that the prices are out now. The range starts from about 29L ex-showroom. I was told that the super 7 seater variant will cost around 35L OTR chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-gloster_pricing.jpeg  

Last edited by clementj : 8th October 2020 at 11:17.
clementj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:15   #343
NTO
BHPian

MG has revealed the pricing of the gloster

They have targeted the Alturas G4 with the base variant, moved up and targeted the Fortuner and Endeavour top end variants with the Sharp variant and Endeavour Sports and to be launched TRD Fortuner with the Savvy variant's pricing.

Each variant has significantly more to offer than the competition and will definitely be positioned as VFM offering in this segment.

I feel the pricing is spot on and apart from the anti Chinese sentiments, I am sure MG has a winner there!
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mg-prices.png

Last edited by NTO : 8th October 2020 at 11:18.
NTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:16   #344
Senior - BHPian

Prices out-

Single Turbo-

Super- 28.98L
Smart-30.98L

Twin Turbo-
Sharp (7 seater)- 33.68L
Sharp (6 seater)- 33.98L
Savvy (6seater)- 35.38L
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-gloster-price.jpg  

07CR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:29   #345
Senior - BHPian

Lower-spec MG Gloster Super and Smart come with a 163hp, 375Nm, 2.0-litre single-turbo diesel with 2WD. Sharp and Savvy get the more powerful 218hp and 480Nm, twin-turbo derivative of the same engine paired with on-demand 4WD. 8-speed automatic gearbox is standard.

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...375319041?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks