Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2020, 20:11   #76
BHPian

re: Scoop! MG Gloster SUV spotted in India - To rival Fortuner & Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am pretty sure, MG won't make that mistake. Hector arrived at a pretty mouth watering price tag and m sure MG will be looking to recreate that phenomenon. Lets not forget Price is the biggest card for MG.

Gloster at 25-27L can be a great alternative to the Ford and Toyota.
As much as I hope that’s true, I don’t think MG will price it so low.

Hector on road is around 20 Lakhs in Delhi so I doubt a bigger and proper SUV will be priced this low.

A more reasonable expectation would be 30-35 Lakhs.
Old 28th June 2020, 20:36   #77
BHPian

I think this SUV will be big failure even if it is priced at par with Fortuner and Endeavour. A new Chinese company can only succeed if it provides something that is not there in the market before at a middle class price. Above 30 lakhs the buying class go after the big brands which they can boast off as well enjoy them.

Cars like Gloster can't claim either of these. My opinion , may be I a wrong.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 20:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusios1521 View Post
Sadly, that seems to be far from reality, and MG seems to be keen to price it more towards Land Cruiser territory, than Fortuner territory.

I hope that I am wrong and MG launches it at a couple of lakhs above the price of a Fortuner.
Any source to confirm it? Lakhs above or below the Fortuner!
Am I missing something?
Old 28th June 2020, 23:04   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Any source to confirm it? Lakhs above or below the Fortuner!
Am I missing something?
I meant that I am hoping MG prices it at a couple of lakhs above the Fortuner, as anything above that would make the product unsuccessful in the market.
Old 28th June 2020, 23:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Gloster spotted on roads:

Dude this looks kinda ugly and outdated. From the back especially. Is that just me?

If it's not a much better prospect than the Fortuner or the Endeavour, while substantially undercutting them, it's going to be dead on arrival.

The Fortuner and Endeavour are both aspirational buys. No way a majority of the buyers go for this Chinese car masquerading as a British brand instead of the Fortuner if they are similarly priced.

I'd think I am putting 30 down anyways, why not put a couple of lakhs more and get a time tested product.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th June 2020 at 23:56. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post - repetition. Thanks!
Balthazar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 00:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
No way a majority of the buyers go for this Chinese car masquerading as a British brand instead of the Fortuner if they are similarly priced.
Where did we hear this story before? Oh yes, before the MG Hector was going to be launched.

I don't think the Gloster will kill the Fortuner, but don't underestimate the market for a more cost-effective option. Just because people have been forking out almost Rs 40 lakh for a Fortuner and Endy for so long, it is not a gaurantee that they are not open to a more cost-effective option.

I can see the Gloster doing well because MG will price it aggressively. My prediction, a starting base variant at a shock value Rs 23.99 lakh and top-end diesel auto at less than Rs 35 lakh. And frankly, those two have ruled that market for too long, it is time to see what some competition can do. And lastly, I think MG as a brand has got some serious loyal following. They do swallow that whole 'British brand' marketing spiel full on, but a lot of these guys are happy with their SUVs, they spread the word and are open for more products. Try arguing with an MG guy that his car is actually Chinese.

Therefore, I think the Gloster is not be underestimated and I am actually looking forward to see a shake-up of that segment!

BTW it is also sold as the LDV in Australia. Here's a comprehensive review:

Last edited by avishar : 29th June 2020 at 00:17.
avishar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 02:26   #82
BHPian

Thanks for the vid, I have already checked out a few review of the Australian version.

Even in this video, just going down a seemingly straight road, it's bouncing so much

Plus I still maintain that it looks old and dated, and to me, kinda ugly from the back. And the interiors are a blatantly BMWish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Try arguing with an MG guy that his car is actually Chinese.
Just tell them how the same car sells for roughly 8.5 Lakhs in China (base model) as the Baojun 530, is sold as Chevrolet Captiva in Thailand, Columbia and other Latin American Countries, and as the Wuling Almaz in Indonesia. So what is it then? A British MG, or an American Chevrolet, a Chinese Baojun or the Wuling?
To be brutal, it is a Chinese car, and whether the owners agree or not is irrelevant, not saying that it's a bad thing, competition is always welcome.

They need to replicate the same mantra that made the Hector successful, it was a disruptor, this thing needs to be one too.

Someone else said on this thread that localization will be low, don't know if that true. But I doubt it will succeed if it is taxed out of the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
My prediction, a starting base variant at a shock value Rs 23.99 lakh and top-end diesel auto at less than Rs 35 lakh.
This is what I feel as well. They may be trying to pull what TATA did with the Harrier. Leak a vague higher price, but then sell it for a lot less than what the market expects to make it feel like a VFM proposition, while undercutting the competition.

Last edited by Balthazar : 29th June 2020 at 02:32.
Balthazar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
sold as Chevrolet Captiva in Thailand, Columbia and other Latin American Countries, and as the Wuling Almaz in Indonesia.
They have launched Captiva in Saudi at an equivalent price of 12 Lakh INR for the 1.5L turbo. The entry level variant here is pretty loaded too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Gloster spotted on roads.
Instead of this they should have launched their MG RX8 which looks better and macho. The pricing too equates to around 17 Lakhs for RX8 and they could easily achieve something around 20 Lakh INR with local production.
( Image : Google )
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-141042540mgrx82020specificationsdesigntechnologies_700x400.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 29th June 2020 at 15:11. Reason: Added few lines.
kamilharis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:57   #84

Quote:
I am pretty sure, MG won't make that mistake. Hector arrived at a pretty mouth watering price tag and m sure MG will be looking to recreate that phenomenon. Lets not forget Price is the biggest card for MG.

Gloster at 25-27L can be a great alternative to the Ford and Toyota.
Even the Alturas at 28L couldn't give a dent to Fortuner's sales and I don't think so MG can price it so low. I expect a price range of 34-36L ex-showroom for the Gloster but then the Chinese boycotting scene may hinder the sales also. I can be wrong too if MG prices it well as the Hector, as we Indians love to choose value over anything.
Old 29th June 2020, 16:25   #85
BHPian

A lot of the previous comments compare MG Gloster with the Alturas G4, but none seem to mention that they are look-alikes! Is it just me who thinks that either MG copied SsangYong/M&M or SsangYong copied MG, or even they both copied the same Japanese car?

Very weird, but the first time i read this thread, i kept associating the comments with Alturas G4!
chaotic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 15:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Samir Joge for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Please find the spy shots of MG Maxus D90 taken today.
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20200707_174625.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20200707_174639.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20200707_175438.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 21:01   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Upcoming MG Gloster SUV Spotted Testing in India again!

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster spied with a twin-exhaust setup

New spy images of the MG Gloster have surfaced online. This particular test mule, which was spotted in Bangalore, has twin exhausts unlike the quad exhaust setup seen on prototypes spotted earlier.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mgglostersuvspiednewexhaustbangalore3.jpg

The different exhaust setups suggest that the Gloster could get more than one engine option or perhaps the more sportier looking quad exhausts could be available on a higher variant.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mgglostersuvspiednewexhaustbangalore2600x338.jpg

The MG Gloster is a re-badged version of the Maxus D90 sold in the Chinese market. It is expected to be imported as a completely knocked down (CKD) unit and assembled at MG's Halol plant. The 7-seater SUV is likely to be offered with an FCA-sourced 2.0-litre diesel engine producing 218 BHP and 480 Nm. The engine could be paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-mgglostersuvspiednewexhaustbangalore1600x338.jpg

The MG Gloster will be positioned above the Hector and will compete with the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and Mahindra Alturas G4 in the Indian market.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
MG Gloster spied with a twin-exhaust setup

New spy images of the MG Gloster have surfaced online. This particular test mule, which was spotted in Bangalore, has twin exhausts unlike the quad exhaust setup seen on prototypes spotted earlier.

Attachment 2039502

The different exhaust setups suggest that the Gloster could get more than one engine option or perhaps the more sportier looking quad exhausts could be available on a higher variant.

Attachment 2039504
Attachment 2039503
Source

Link to Team-BHP News
Quad Exhausts on an SUV competing in the 30-40L segment is a bit off a stretch, twin exhausts are still thinkable, if it would have been a performance SUV still it would be a different matter. I guess this will be closer to the production spec model hence the twin pipes now.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:45   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Is it just me or this indeed doesn't look too pleasant? The circular design with a straight-out profile looks like those exhausts on stone age cars like Premier Padmini! And the typical MG end-can is glaringly visible. How tough is it to design a nice bumper that hides the exhaust end-can? Its not going with the rest of the car's design AT ALL.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed