Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 15:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Mod Note: BHPian Seahawk's Volkswagen T-Roc Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Volkswagen is rumoured to launch the T-Roc in India in 2019 . Would take the CBU route.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-1.png

Quote:
T-Roc will be imported under the Indian government's scheme that allows 2500 units to be imported without local homologation. Will come in AS A petrol ONLY model and be the 2.0 TSI mated to the 7-Speed DSG dual-clutch automatic gearbox

The car will be sold in limited numbers, and will give VW India a much needed all-new model for 2019. Expect it to be positioned between the Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass.
Quote:
Fully loaded the car will be at a premium positioning and expected to be priced at INR 17- 20 lakhs.

If the car is well received, there could be a case made for its local assembly or manufacture in India, post 2020.
Link

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 12:02. Reason: Adding link to review
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Rumour: Volkswagen to launch the T-Roc in India in 2019 - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A 2L TSi + 7 Speed DSG + CBU Quality T-ROC priced in the 17-20L Ex-Showroom bracket would surely make a strong case for itself
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:43   #4
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Fully loaded the car will be at a premium positioning and expected to be priced at INR 17- 20 lakhs.
Price indicated looks optimistic for a CBU T-Roc,

Quote:
If the car is well received, there could be a case made for its local assembly or manufacture in India, post 2020.
If the car is well received, I hope a few other players too consider the model.

Last edited by SDP : 11th April 2019 at 21:39. Reason: Fixing quote
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 16:58   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

So they are hoping to launch the car as a CBU, and only if the sales are encouraging, will they think about manufacturing it locally. Sounds as if they want to put on the blame for their non-launches on the Indian car buyers and not on themselves. While they may not be completely wrong, that should not prevent a manufacturer from putting genuine efforts into any market.

If the speculated price for a fully loaded CBU T-Roc indeed comes out to be between 17-20L, then it may just sell well enough. However, the 2.0 TDi would have been much more appreciated, since it is still SUV=diesel for a majority of us. I highly doubt if a CBU T-Roc with 2.0 TSi and DSG will cost around 17-20L. A base variant maybe?
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 17:04   #6
BHPian

While this is great news, I don't really understand their strategy right now. On one hand, there are talks about Volkswagen India, sort of, merging into Skoda India to form one brand, and on the other hand here's news about Volkswagen T-Roc launch which competes directly with Skoda Kamiq, which I believe is confirmed to launch in India as well.

I'm not complaining, there's no such thing as too many German cars, but... what are they thinking?
kubectl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 17:23   #7
BHPian

Instead of bringing the petrol, they should bring the 1.6 Diesel DSG. Even though its lesser on power, compared to the petrol, being a diesel SUV, it will sell.
Kerala is one of VWs most important market, where they have 4 to 5 dealers in one district. If this car launches in a petrol only form, its bound to flop in VWs bigger markets, as people here love their diesels
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 17:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have a tough time believe the article, the 17-20L price range seems highly unlikely. Here in the UK, the only T-Roc model with the 2.0L TSI and 7-speed DSG is the R-Line variant and it costs £34,675 before you start adding options to it.
In today's currency that equates to over INR 31.5L. You obviously need to add our import taxes etc...

Here's a pic of the configuration, I've added a panoramic sunroof for £1,510.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-troc.jpg

I've seen this car on the road and it look very ordinary, and hardly worth a second glance.
hiren.mistry is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how well this will do, given the limited success tasted by previous petrol powered SUVs! Looks like VW is trying its best to stay in the game until their Indian specific models are ready.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:10   #10
BHPian

Expected price for the upcoming CBU T-Roc seems acceptable, IMO. It will attract numbers without the price reduction which VW had to do with Polo GTI.

However, VW should have gone for CKD route if they were serious for our market.

What is the path forward of VW's strategy for India?

It just seems that VW is intrested in making new editions of existing Polo and Vento.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:18   #11
BHPian

Only 2500 units allowed, 2L TSI (same as Octavia RS right?) and a CBU!!!
My bet is that T-ROC will be positioned along side Octavia below Tiguan and may be overlap with top end models of Compass.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I have a tough time believe the article, the 17-20L price range seems highly unlikely. Here in the UK, the only T-Roc model with the 2.0L TSI and 7-speed DSG is the R-Line variant and it costs £34,675 before you start adding options to it.
In today's currency that equates to over INR 31.5L. You obviously need to add our import taxes etc...

Here's a pic of the configuration, I've added a panoramic sunroof for £1,510.
Attachment 1867571

I've seen this car on the road and it look very ordinary, and hardly worth a second glance.
Not limited to car prices, but I have observed that the UK prices are not adjusted as per currency. A US $100 item is usually sold as £100 in UK whereas it should be less since the GBP is more valuable than the Dollar.

This pricing strategy is across most of the products. For example if you see the price for any consumer durable like a DSLR , shoes etc the price would be the same in GBP as what it would in USD.

Look at Tiguan pricing at UK and US sites for VW and you will notice the same.

I think when pricing in India companies follow the US conversion and with that logic the Tiguan falls in line with the US prices plus taxes.

I think the 17-18 L India price may be doable.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 19:21   #13
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Quote:

Price indicated looks optimistic for a CBU T-Roc,

Quote:

If the car is well received, I hope a few other players too consider the model.
I doubt CBU T-Roc can be priced in that range. In Germany it sells for €21k to €24k for first two variants, which itself if converted straight comes to INR 16-20 L. Add import tax which doubles the price almost.

I guess without homologation means import tax is still there.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 11th April 2019 at 19:23.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 19:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

On one side we have rumours that VW is counting on Skoda to localise the MQB-A0 platform so that the cheaper T-Cross with a 1L TSi can be launched in India as a Creta rival.

On the other hand, this news states that a more expensive T-Roc, built on the expensive MQB platform, with a 2L TSi engine, imported as CBU after paying huge taxes - will be positioned between Creta and Compass?

Both news can't be right. And logic tells me to believe the former!

T-Roc SEL version in the UK which gets the 2.0TSI is priced close to the Octavia vRS, and we all know the pricing for the later despite being a CKD.

The T-Roc might make it as CBU alright - but expect this to be another pricey proposition as the Polo GTI launched earlier. But then, without homologation efforts and as a direct import - VW doesn't lose anything to try, and meanwhile might get some good press too- while they somehow buy time with Polo facelifts till the next generation products are ready to hit the market in 2020.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th April 2019 at 19:36.
Old 11th April 2019, 19:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I have a tough time believe the article, the 17-20L price range seems highly unlikely--
The article also says the pricing quoted is possible only if VW would bear some of the cost of the high import duty the car would be subject to. This exercise is to have the T ROC as a good benchmark and aspiration for the slightly smaller T-Cross due in late 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
While this is great news, I don't really understand their strategy right now. On one hand, there are talks about Volkswagen India, sort of, merging into Skoda India to form one brand, and on the other hand here's news about Volkswagen T-Roc launch which competes directly with Skoda Kamiq, --
VW and Skoda products will co-exist but likely to differentiate in power-train and variant offerings.

Skoda Kamiq is the counterpart to VW T Cross and not T ROC.

T ROC and Skoda Karoq are siblings but as per the article Karoq is not likely to be launched in India.

Last edited by SDP : 11th April 2019 at 21:37. Reason: Typo
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed