Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 18:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Maruti S-Presso Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thanks to BHPian phamilyman for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Maruti Suzuki's upcoming micro-SUV has been caught testing in Gurgaon. The car, which is likely to be based on the Concept Future-S is rumoured to replace the Alto.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-imag9110_2.jpg

The spy images suggest that the micro-SUV is likely to borrow styling cues from the Concept Future-S. It appears to have a high stance with wraparound headlamps and rectangular tail lamp clusters. The car has short front and rear overhangs and a raked rear windshield. The new model is likely to be based on the WagonR's Heartect-A platform.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-imag9111_2.jpg

Given its positioning in the market, the new micro-SUV could be offered with a 1.0-litre petrol engine paired with a 5-speed manual transmission and an optional AMT. It is expected to get all the mandatory safety features such as ABS, driver side airbag, rear parking sensors, seatbelt reminder and an audible high-speed warning as standard.

Maruti Suzuki's Concept Future-S based car is expected to compete with the Renault Kwid in the Indian market.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2020 at 09:17. Reason: Updated as per RP.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 19:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Cant understand why is this being termed as an SUV?

Its just another hatchback with a higher ground clearance and it will be competing with the Renault Kwid which is an entry level hatchback.

With the new stringent safety norms coming up, it might take the place of an Alto.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:22. Reason: Spacing
Samba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 22:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks to be the same car as in the Next-gen-Alto spotting thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4559527 (New Maruti caught testing! Is this the next-gen Alto?)
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 00:00   #4
BHPian

Blanking out 'HR 26' from number plates.

What a failed and illegal attempt at hiding the MS brand.
Senna4Ever is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 02:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

One can almost render how this car will look like using his own imagination because Maruti doesn't really have much of it. Looks like a beefed up Alto with cladding. In other words, utterly drab.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

From whatever could be made out from the masked vehicle, it looks like, Maruti is trying to do a "micro-Brezza" to this thingy. Like the KWID which was dubbed as a mini-DUSTER.

I hope Maruti gets the "wheel track - to - overall vehicle height" ratio correct as this plays a large part in the styling stakes and a favourable one - a la KWID - makes even a small car, sitting on a compact wheelbase, look well proportioned and stylish - otherwise it will look like a "cigarette packet - on - wheels"

Let's wait and watch.
arjab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 12:40   #7
BHPian

Cardekho has this picture showing dashboard.

Quote:
The test mule features a centrally mounted instrument cluster with possible digital readouts.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Its just another hatchback with a higher ground clearance.
No its not a SUV, micro-SUV is the new word .
S.MJet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 13:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle is heavily disguised. They have added a lot of padding on multiple panels including the A pillar so that the true shape is not revealed. Even the tail lights are fake. Good to see that the A pillars are raked and not like the concept car which had a retro look.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 19:33   #9
BHPian

Looks to me more like a redesigned Suzuki Hustler. I see a lot of them in Japan with a re-badged Mazda version as well. This car won the best design award over here.
My belief is Suzuki will never use the Alto name to a tallish boy Car. So, a new model launch is coming up.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-images-28.jpeg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-images-29.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd October 2019 at 18:00. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 20:12   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Its just another hatchback with a higher ground clearance and it will be competing with the Renault Kwid which is an entry level hatchback.

With the new stringent safety norms coming up, it might take the place of an Alto.
I am actually fine with this thing being called as a mini SUV, as Indian market calls other slightly bigger hatchbacks with higher ground clearance as compact SUVs. I had travelled in a Brezza once and felt the same as travelling in my brothers Swift, albeit with bigger tires.
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 09:29   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
One can almost render how this car will look like using his own imagination because Maruti doesn't really have much of it.
Let's give some credit where its due. A lot of new Marutis are good looking (Dzire, Swift, Ciaz etc.). Even the new Ertiga isn't bad for a people-mover van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Cardekho has this picture showing dashboard.
Indians have never liked instrument consoles mounted in the center of the dashboard. I'll be surprised if Maruti adopts this for a high volume product.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2019 at 10:02.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 10:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indians have never liked instrument consoles mounted in the center of the dashboard. I'll be surprised if Maruti adopts this for a high volume product.
And we have examples in this very market. Centrally mounted instrument consoles in Nano and Etios twins was a major turn-off for many. It ruins the basic aesthetics and driver's ease/practicality.

Only reason could be Suzuki planning exports to LHD markets. Stand alone, I don't think it's a cost saving measure.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:25. Reason: Spacing
S.MJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Looks to me more like a redesigned Suzuki Hustler. I see a lot of them in Japan with a re-badged Mazda version as well. This car won the best design award over here.

My belief is Suzuki will never use the Alto name to a tallish boy Car. So, a new model launch is coming up.
I personally like the car in pictures here compared to the existing Alto. The current generation Alto isnt a car which should be on the road given its safety ratings. I wish Maruti launches a new car with new structural stability standards. (I assume that if this is road legal in Japan, it will have better safety ratings)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:25. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
Old 18th March 2019, 20:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I personally like the car in pictures here compared to the existing Alto. The current generation Alto isnt a car which should be on the road given its safety ratings. I wish Maruti launches a new car with new structural stability standards. (I assume that if this is road legal in Japan, it will have better safety ratings)
The current gen Car is likely to be Crash compliant by the year end as per my sources. This micro mini SUV ( I hate calling this a SUV) will definitely be Crash regulations compliant.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks like MSIL wants to do a "Kwid" with the next gen Alto!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed