Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 08:43   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
The Overdrive article suggests that the Superb BSVI will come with the previous 1.8 L Petrol engine.

I believe and hope that they are wrong, and it comes with a 2.0 L TSI with dual wet clutch.
Completely wrong I too hope. Globally, 1.8 TSI engine kits are on the verge of being exhausted without any information on it being upgraded any further. It's either 1.5 TSI or 2.0 TSI. After seeing Audi's debacle with the 1.4 in the Audi A3 / A4, Skoda will definitely stick to the 2.0 for the Indian Superb.

As a rule, engine displacement matters for us Indians (thank god for small mercies ), and potential Superb buyers would rather be caught dead in a ditch rather than explain to themselves, family, clan, friends & colleagues why their new barge has a piddly 1.5.

While on this subject, can anyone dig out an European / UK review of this 2020 Superb with the new 190 bhp 2.0 TSI Evo engine? Cannot locate even one. Either they TD the 2.0 TDI, 1.5 TSI or the RS245. This 190 bhp tune variant is an orphan as of now
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

This April will see the launch of the 2.0 TSI engine powered, 190PS Superb can do 0-100kmph in 7.7 seconds.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 22:57   #48
BHPian

I was also in a dilemma and haven’t yet been able to make a decision. I currently drive an Octavia 2.0 Diesel and was looking to change my car at the end of the year when the new Octavia was supposed to come in. Then I came to know that the 1.8 TSI will be discontinued and they will most likely be using the 1.5 TSI. As for the New Octavia, a smaller engine will be a deal breaker for me - there’s no replacement for displacement.

Then I heard that there are some hefty and mouth watering discount on the Superb and it’ll put the current Superb bang in the territory of the New Octavia pricing. Checked out a dealership today - Krishna Autosales in Ludhiana where I’m currently working. The showroom looked a ghost town, the sales person had zero knowledge, and they had no stock left to sell. I asked him if the Superb Facelift was going to get a 1.8 TSI or the 2.0 TSI, he was clueless.

What amazed me was his lack of product knowledge and industry knowledge overall. While it’s all right for him to not know about the engine options as it hasn’t been formally announced yet, I was surprised that he didn’t know what’s a Heads Up Display. When asked if the feature was going to be in the new Superb, he said he didn’t understand what that is.

After all the exercise, I’m still undecided and haven’t been able to make a decision yet. The Skoda dealership here didn’t even take my contact details so I’m obviously not expecting a call back from them.

I guess waiting seems to be the best decision at this stage. I was afraid that the new Superb might also come with a 1.5 but now I think Skoda won’t make that mistake.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post

Then I heard that there are some hefty and mouth watering discount on the Superb and it’ll put the current Superb bang in the territory of the New Octavia pricing. Checked out a dealership today - Krishna Autosales in Ludhiana where I’m currently working. The showroom looked a ghost town, the sales person had zero knowledge, and they had no stock left to sell. I asked him if the Superb Facelift was going to get a 1.8 TSI or the 2.0 TSI, he was clueless.
The discounts are really good, though there aren't many superb left in stock, having seen the facelift superb, i think the current superb if you get a good deal it's worth getting. Based on my enquiries you can get upto 4-5 lakh discount which i think is a great amount.
ishaanranderia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 18:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Skoda Superb Facelift Launch Expected On April 28th.

Link
Old 29th April 2020, 19:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Superb Facelift online bookings open now!

Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India-ewxesfyxkaeij3k.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th April 2020 at 19:18.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:44   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda Superb Facelift online bookings open now!

Attachment 2000212

Link
Nice colours! Glad to see VW / Skoda bringing their EU palette to IN.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India-screenshot_20200429194225.jpg  

Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India-screenshot_20200429194212.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 20:20   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

where is the red , the display car in Auto Expo looked smashing and so sporty in red.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 00:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
where is the red , the display car in Auto Expo looked smashing and so sporty in red.
The red will not be launched, only three color options for sport line model are – Race Blue, Moon White and Steel Grey. The remaining 5 color options will be available in the L&K variant.

Link
Old 1st May 2020, 00:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post
The red will not be launched, only three color options for sport line model are – Race Blue, Moon White and Steel Grey. The remaining 5 color options will be available in the L&K variant.

Link
Perfect analogy from skoda, call the model sport line and don't get the most sporty looking color.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 08:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Perfect analogy from skoda, call the model sport line and don't get the most sporty looking color.
Fact is that when Skoda got the last batch of Sportlines in 2018-19, the variant itself was a slow seller and the red slowest of all. As a result, they ultimately old off the last few units at massive 5-7L+ discounts.

Let's analyze the target customer comprising of 2 types:

Chauffeured use:
Is easily 40+ years of age
Primary usage is back seat for self and family
Minimally self driven over mainly weekends
Family use generally dictates easier-to-maintain colours like silver, white etc.

Self-driven use:
Easily 40+ years of age
Already drives a C1/C2 sedan like a Vento/Rapid/City etc
Wants to skip D1 (Octavia) and go straight to D2
Open to bright colours but usually not bright red, yellow or blue as he/she still needs to go daily to office in it

The black interiors are also a turn-off for many people. Luxury is intrinsically tied to a sea of beige in India. Also the L&K comes with more goodies being the top version.

I would have thought a basic Ambition variant would have been better. Don't see the Sportline selling a lot.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 17:56   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Fact is that when Skoda got the last batch of Sportlines in 2018-19, the variant itself was a slow seller and the red slowest of all. As a result, they ultimately old off the last few units at massive 5-7L+ discounts.

Let's analyze the target customer comprising of 2 types:

Chauffeured use:
Is easily 40+ years of age
Primary usage is back seat for self and family
Minimally self driven over mainly weekends
Family use generally dictates easier-to-maintain colours like silver, white etc.

Self-driven use:
Easily 40+ years of age
Already drives a C1/C2 sedan like a Vento/Rapid/City etc
Wants to skip D1 (Octavia) and go straight to D2
Open to bright colours but usually not bright red, yellow or blue as he/she still needs to go daily to office in it

The black interiors are also a turn-off for many people. Luxury is intrinsically tied to a sea of beige in India. Also the L&K comes with more goodies being the top version.

I would have thought a basic Ambition variant would have been better. Don't see the Sportline selling a lot.
So does launching a sports line even makes sense if target audience is 40+, who won't want black interior and red paint job, but the same audience is ok with race blue paint job. Maybe just skip the variant all together or call it something else and not sport line. Also why display the car in red in auto expo then, they should have displayed a sober color to attract the 40+

I think they can do that on order basis, rapid already comes in red, not that it is too tough to get it done.

PS: I am nearing 40, and I still love the red color way too much

Last edited by AtheK : 1st May 2020 at 18:00.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 21:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
I was also in a dilemma and haven’t yet been able to make a decision. I currently drive an Octavia 2.0 Diesel and was looking to change my car at the end of the year when the new Octavia was supposed to come in. Then I came to know that the 1.8 TSI will be discontinued and they will most likely be using the 1.5 TSI. As for the New Octavia, a smaller engine will be a deal breaker for me - there’s no replacement for displacement.
Just wait a bit more. The new Octavia will sport the 2.0L Tsi engine & the lower version ,the 1.5l Tsi mill. This has been confirmed by Zac Hollis in an interview with Auto car India. In-fact initially the car will come only with the 2.0l Tsi & the smaller engine may come in later. Hope this helps with your decision and also others others waiting for the new model. Cheers !
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 10:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope they launch it this week or latest next. This wait for the specs is getting too long. If it is the full-blooded UK spec L&K, it should be a real game-changer offering BMW 5 series features for 60-70% of the asking price.

The Superb with the 2.0 TSI with 190 bhp / 320 Nm gives 124 bhp/ton & 207 Nm/ton which are better than even the current 1.8. The remap potential of the 2.0 coupled with the solid DQ380 gearbox is huge.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb L&K reaches dealerships, Walkaround video.

https://www.rushlane.com/new-skoda-s...-12361672.html
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed