Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2019, 12:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Will smart hybrids become the norm?

I think smart hybrids are just a gimmick, but do not add significant value to the cost paid for it.
Fully electric would be a better option to look at, though the initial cost is going to be high, but I believe it would help to retain the vehicle for a much longer period, given the policy relaxation on EV’s.
However, we do not have vehicles with long range in India. In addition to it, the cost of the battery replacement is higher after the warranty period, which is after mostly 8 years. Though we get to hear that the battery cost would come down significantly by 2030, it is still a dream and I don’t think the common crowd is willing to take that risk.
Also, I did some research on the cost for charging the EV’s and it seems to be on the higher side. For Ex: MG is partnering with Fortum to set up the fast chargers and they charge around Rs.19 per min+ Rs.50 per session. MG says that the eZS would take approximately 40 minutes to get 80% charge and that translates to roughly around Rs.810 per session - That seems to be costly for a range of 210kms (80%) and the dependency on charging points within that range, followed by the wait time until it gets charged again just doesn’t interest me to buy an EV now
Old 30th November 2019, 18:43   #17
BHPian

I think this should help give some perspective. The results are quite significant!

ROG_AK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also thought so. But now I think full electrics are the way to go. Why the reduction in the weight / space used up by the dual power trains.
Sir, I read a recent review article on the topic from Energy reports (link) and they conclude that
Quote:
Despite the advantages brought by the Full hybrid and Electric vehicles, it is noticeable that, given their high cost, these will not be a mainstream solution in the near future. On the other hand, the micro and mild HEVs are technologies that will be increasingly incorporated in commercial vehicles.
This is further consolidated by market reports such as this and this that predict a CAGR of 4.1 to 4.8% for mild hybrids in near future.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd December 2019 at 18:24.
Old 31st December 2019, 13:09   #19
BHPian

Well I own a 2019, Ciaz petrol that comes with the Maruti propreitory SHVS. The auto turn on/off remains on all time. Honestly I am not bothered much about the system in as much as i am with the battery and associated safety. The recent recall has just reinforced my fear/ worries about the technology involved.

If the manufactures tend to include further refinements and address the related safety concerns comprehensively, I would not mind if such system is implemented more broadly.

Most Viewed