Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th November 2019, 20:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
I was just warming up to the idea of buying a used Storme next year.
Unless you are hell bent on the Storme, I suggest to get the newer model - the Hexa.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:30   #17
BHPian

This was one car that was aspired by many during its days of yore; and I’m sure it still has it’s fair share of followers. What a car it was!

Good bye legend.. :(
ashvek3141 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:37   #18
BHPian

Woww, so no more 'Safari'!! Sad to hear this news but glad at the same time that I was lucky enough to be able to accomplish the dream of owning one! She's definitely a keeper now for many more years to come.
One of the most aspirational cars that Tata has ever built and sustained for more than 2 decades, constantly tweaking it, in spite of not being able to sell it. In hindsight, it was something bound to happen given the new and upcoming regulations. Like many have already expressed, if only Tata can pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring it back on a worthy successor, sometime in future. The first ask though is to buy the rights to the 'Safari' name, so that no one else can use it.

For now, farewell to a hallowed product and brand - that was 'Safari'!
avinash_m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:49   #19
BHPian

Looks like my childhood is officially over now. I literally hunted a year for a used 4x4 Dicor before I settled for Hexa. The Storme variants that I could afford never came with 4x4 and I didn't want a Safari without 4x4. As someone said above, it will take a special car to deserve that badge.

Thank you for providing something to aspire for Tata Motors. I would have never gotten interested in Tata Motors as a brand if not for those great Safari ads in my childhood days. But it deserves a better farewell than this. Maybe they should think about selling a scale model for Safari as well. Just the people commenting on this thread will make that endeavor profitable.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 27th November 2019 at 20:53.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Maybe they should think about selling a scale model for Safari as well. Just the people commenting on this thread will make that endeavor profitable.
Hell yes!! But please please please make it at least as detailed as the Altroz scale model, posted by GTO on the Altroz thread.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 20:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Sad news . I was just warming up to the idea of buying a used Storme next year.
Will it be still a good idea to go ahead and buy one ? Will it be difficult to service and source parts easily ?
If it's the safari you want, it's the safari you ought to get. I'm in the same boat as you, and I will be picking one up early next year.
Go ahead and get one. They're ubiquitous, plus Tata will have to support the model for some years from when the last one leaves the factory. If you keep one for 5 years or so, there ought not to be any issues in sourcing. Services as well.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 21:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
High time they buried this junk.

Only in India can manufacturers keep finding takers/admirers for such obsolete and sub standard stuff.

Hope Mahindra has the decency to discontinue the Bolero now.
What or how you feel about a Safari is your personal opinion. Have no strong feelings about this car, either positive or negative.
But expecting Mahindra to follow suit for a car that is their cash cow and amongst the top 20 selling models consistently is beyond comprehension.

Please do realise that Indian car market is not all about urban areas. Even rural areas need vehicles and those areas have an extreme fondness towards the vehicle and its ruggedness.
niteshbids is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 21:06   #23
BHPian

It may be a good time to shop for a used Safari. Parts should not be a problem because legally the company has to service a vehicle for 10 years after discontinuation.
As someone who grew up admiring the Safari advertisements, I fail to understand how and why Tata allowed this iconic brand to slip into the oblivion. Even today there are few automotive advertising campaigns globally that can touch you to the extent that the "Lines" theme of the Dicor did.
I was a fan of this company (family has put close to 20 lakhs in purchasing various products from them), but it seems that they don't need the competition to undo them.
They are exceptionally adept at digging their own grave.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 21:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Unless you are hell bent on the Storme, I suggest to get the newer model - the Hexa.
Thanks for the suggestion.

But the buying decision is more of an aspirational one, a childhood dream.
Also Hexa is out of budget and I am looking for a used storm only
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 22:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

Should probably just leave this here, for old times sake -

For pure nostalgia, no other campaign came close to 'Reclaim Your Life', ever!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th November 2019 at 22:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 23:20   #26
BHPian

We've been contemplating between the Hexa and Harrier.

Last week, out of sheer frustration my Dad said "Screw it, let's just buy the Safari"

I would have agreed. Only if it had some of the essential gizmos as per today's standards.

The Safari still makes my head turn and acknowledge it.

This is the real Heart car of Indian Auto Enthusiasts. Made By, In and For India
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 02:22   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Being a Safari Fan, it’s extremely sad to hear. I am not having much hope that there will be an updated Safari Storme in the future. Atleast I am glad that they didn’t use the tag “Safari” for H7X. Let safari be a legend rather than pairing it with a “Land Rover legacy” vehicle.
arunrajk81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 08:29   #28
BHPian

I also pity the mindset of the Indian consumers who just want bling at the expense of useful hardware like 4x4. We may be the worlds 4th or 5th largest car market by volume, but sure as hell aren't a mature car consumer society in terms of tastes and user application. OF course, TML should have continued to upgrade the platform instead of underestimating its own brand strength.In this respect, you have to admire Mahindra for nurturing its core brand values, even though they may be a tad inferior in terms of product specification and overall quality.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 09:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Rest in peace Civilian Safari! I'm guessing you'll still be made in the combat green shade for the brave-hearts.
You'll remain a dream I couldn't fulfill till now. But then I will consider it in the "some day" category. Who knows!

Those who have you as a companion will always know what you are. Those who look at them drive you, will always envy deep down.

An end of an era - just not for a name-plate but for a design philosophy. End of the line for a brute ladder-on-frame monster to make way for tarmac dwelling monocoques of the future.
I hope there comes a worthy car to resurrect this name badge sometime before the mean monster diesel engines go off stage...
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

This news makes me sad as well as glad. Sad that I won't be seeing any more Safaris on sale, glad that I own the best handling, fastest and the latest version of the beast (2018 Safari Storme VX Varicor 400)

The word Safari has always been special. Who can forget those amazing safari TVCs?! It was a dream car for almost all 80s & 90s kids. Personally, I have been lucky enough to have been associated with Safari for the past 8 years.

I owned an amazing 2012 Safari Dicor for 6 years and 1,40,000 km before selling it for the 2018 Storme VX V400.

Sharing a few pics of my ex and current Safaris as a tribute to the legendary SUV

My beloved Safari Dicor

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-wp_20161014_12_17_13_pro-2-2.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-209499_4526577931066_1903343925_o.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-wp_20170803_17_14_23_pro.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-11896401_10207835608196682_547349638291755198_o-2.jpg

My current Storme

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20180420_100446260.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20180420_100436225-1.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20190104_164650_725.jpg

Name:  IMG_20180420_100914944_HDR.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  369.2 KB

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-28619594_10216224224786854_6995176926322155546_o-1.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-20180425085106-1.jpg

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20181004_144629457_hdr.jpg

Safari is like the legendary Enfield Bullet (not the current UCE crap, but the Cast Iron block legit bullet from the past).
Is it the fastest? No
Is it the most feature laden? No
Is it the most fuel efficient? Hell no
Is it the easiest to drive? No
Is it the SUV with best ride quality? Well, yes
Is it the most spacious 5 seater? Yes & no(if seen as 7 seater)
Is it the most reliable? No
Is it the most VFM vehicle? No

But beyond all "No"s is the love for Safari in a safari owner's heart. Just like how CI Enfield owners love their bike so much. Safari has a character, it is not just a car. It is an emotion. There are a few cars that can match the legendary status and the cult following that the "Safari" nameplate has achieved over the last 2 decades. I am happy I will retain my beast for atleast another 6 years. You will always be missed, our dear beast! Only if one had owned/travelled in one, they would understand why this car is special. For all others, it is just another old , "should have been discontinued" product that is finally being put to rest.

In my opinion, Safari name should be put to rest instead of Tata making another car and naming it Safari. Sierra and Safari, let them RIP, in complete peace

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th November 2019 at 10:26.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed