Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th November 2019, 10:02   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

Not too happy to hear this news.

Though this is the exact news that made me buy the Safari last year.
Had been waiting to get the big boy home since so long that I simply had to get it before the bafoons at TML shut down the line.

Normally, I consider myself a balanced head-first person, but none of that worked with the Safari decision. End of life product, already abysmal resale, spare parts availability if it is phased out, reliability issues, no touchscreen, no ACC, no reversing camera, no AT, no 6 airbags, .......
.....everything ignored. (i miss the AT however)
For what? That zen like feeling when you drive the Safari - smooth, majestic, comfortable. And its built like a rock. Despite its capability to go quite fast (and its very torquey), you'll find yourself become a much calmer driver once you are astride the Storme.

If you are on the fence, go get it. In my view, its price is quite reasonable compared to the likes of Scorpio, Creta, Duster, etc.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:15   #32
BHPian

And to think that the name almost made it back. See if you can spot its new logo.

Name:  IMG_20191127_221342.jpg
Views: 2850
Size:  104.1 KB
jailbird_fynix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:27   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I grew up dreaming to own this some day. Doesn't make sense to own one today though, Tata let it fade away.

Perhaps the Ads of Safari are more Iconic than the car itself! Specially in today's times, for us going through mid-life crises (Mid-life itself has expanded vastly. Now the childhood days are short, and climate/lifestyle changes are making sure that people seldom get to live too old). Looking at those " emotionally stirring" Ads showing people lost in their lives, going through so much compromises that they are no longer interested in living (rather just spending days doing boring "responsibilities"). And then suddenly the beast appears - from between the paddy fields, spraying loads of mud and muck around - like someone breaking free from the shackles of monotony of life to "reclaim their long lost lives".

I still get my eyes wet at the corners looking at those ads. For the car itself - not so much. Maybe 5 years from now, they can re-launch the brand Safari, starting with marketing blitz involving airing the old ads on TV/electronic media again. That would be a strong hit.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:34   #34
BHPian

Owning a Safari has always been a decision from the heart.

This used to my pride and joy- a 3L Dicor VX 4x4, until I recently picked up a 2.2 VTT.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20190705_135515.jpg  

Last edited by jeeva : 28th November 2019 at 10:40.
jeeva is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:50   #35
BHPian

My cousin has a 13 yr old safari. Its a different feeling to even sit in that car, something i dont get in my 1.5 yr old ecosport (though ecosport is a great car in its own right). Its sad Tata chose to hang the boots on this one. Wish they upgarded it to BS6 with an AT box.
veyron_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:53   #36
BHPian

It was 'The SUV' for us Bhartiya people since it was launched way back in 90s. It has unmatched road presence and commands respect which even pricier SUVs fail to garner. My brother has two a 2.2 lt Dicor and A Storme EX. And I know people often don't talk about fuel economy in relation to SUVs but both the vehicles are surprisingly economical and very easy to maintain. The older 2.2 has done close to 2 lakh km and still going strong. It has seen quite a varied geography right from the Himalayas in Uttarakhand, Himachal and J&K to deserts of Rajasthan. Plateau of Malwa and Deccan to the coasts of Gujrat, not to mention the traffic congested roads and lanes of Uttar Pradesh, it has seen them all.
Tata should not discontinue the brand as it is not only a mere vehicle but an icon which fills our heart with joy and pride. Some things should also be continued for their inspirational, aspirational and iconic values rather than mere numbers, which the Safari does in decent amount by the way. I hope they upgrade it and keep our very own icon alive and soldiering on in the next decade.

Last edited by Cool_leo_guy : 28th November 2019 at 10:55.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

What they never realised is that, despite it's uninspiring sales performance, the "Safari" is a bigger brand than "Tata Motors" (personal vehicles division).

Sad to see this icon go
1100D is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
And to think that the name almost made it back. See if you can spot its new logo.
Is this image is from Tata motors design center? I have never seen H5X / H7X concept in Gray color in any Auto show.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:29   #39

Very sad news indeed. Safari was my first love in cars and my heart still skips a beat when i see one on road. Always wanted to buy one in future irrespective of its niggles and low resale value. Guess i will still go for it but will have to work harder to convince my family
Really dont want to say goodbye to this Legend.
behindthewheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:47   #40
BHPian

Awful news indeed , looks like TATA themselves do not understand the power of brand Safari in this case. I was aware from the inputs of a sales person in at TATA that they were about to discontinue the Dicor in 2016 and that's when I purchased the Quartz Black Dicor (My third one) after owning a Dicor EX and a Storme earlier.

The feel, the look, the charisma and the character is so unmatched that even today it turns heads and I thank myself for taking a decision that makes my soul happy.

I plan to keep her till she wants to keep me and she is one hot black beauty I must say.

Recently, I have plonked RaceDynamics Tuning Box in her and words cannot explain what she has turned out to be. My friends call her Drawing Room while I prefer to call her as Safari only, I love the name.

She does not have ACC, nor a flashy touch screen, no digital displays, no rain/light sensors but she has a soul which so connects to me that makes me find excuses to drive her.
NST440 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 12:17   #41
BHPian

da.... da.....da......da (you all know how to rhyme these words). We all are growing old and the decision to discontinue the Iconic Safari proves it. We owned one in 2003 but sold it a year later because my grandmother did not like the colour(black). I have very good memories of the butch, sad to hear that it is being discontinued. I wish Tata will revive the Icon later with a suitable SUV.
Someone in the posts above has mentioned Personal Vehicle Division, I think Passenger Vehicle Division is the right Term.

Last edited by itsmb : 28th November 2019 at 12:36. Reason: Added PV correction.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:58   #42
BHPian

It's frustrating to see how TATA has failed to Capitalize on the 'Safari' brand in this SUV crazy decade. What they needed is 1) AT Gearbox 2) Good interiors, gizmos and some new-age features.
It would have been a great hit and might have given likes of Creta, Duster, XUV5OO run for their money.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:59   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never been a fan of the Safari or the Storme. Didn't like its tall + narrow design, and didn't like the way it drove. However, will readily admit that it has been an iconic car that has quite a following . Tata did the best job in building its image. They should use the "Safari" badge for a special SUV in the future.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 14:16   #44
BHPian

This hurts! Safari was a legend and it wasnít supposed to die like this.

Hope Tata wakes up and rejuvenate the brand like M&M is ensuring Scorpio lives. Legends donít die!
Old 28th November 2019, 14:49   #45
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2019 at 17:53.
Sunil2307 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed