Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 16:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-safari-storme.jpg

The production of the Tata Safari Storme has been stopped, which suggests that the model could be discontinued in the near future. We are told that dealers are clearing the remaining stock and are not accepting fresh orders. Certain dealerships in Delhi have also stopped offering test drives.

The Safari Storme was offered with a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that came in two states of tune. In the lower tune, the engine produced 148 BHP and 320 Nm of torque and was paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The VX and VX 4x4 variants got the same engine but it produced 154 BHP and 400 Nm and came paired with a 6-speed manual transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

So end of the road for an Icon of Indian motoring. I just hope Tata does not stop servicing them. We already have at least one TASS in Bangalore which is saying only new gen models to be serviced.

For many Storme / Safari owners, we knew that the resale value was not be considered for the long term.

Sad to see this. But glad I have one. This is the second model that I have had which saw end of production. But no regrets with the ownership. The truck is going strong, and hope to enjoy it for a few more years at least.
condor is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:13   #3
BANNED

Legend going off the production lines, IIRC Safari is the first proper SUV in India by an Indian manufacturer. Tata really failed to capitalize on the popularity of Safari, it never cared to update the product as Mahindra did with its Scorpio. Safari is etched into the minds of many, sad to see its fate now.

And those advertisements of Safari, they are legends in their own right, they can make you move out of your seats and buy a Safari and roam across and thread new roads.

Hope Tata will resurrect you one day. For now, goodbye legend.
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Makes sense. The numbers don't justify updating the car to BS6 standards. End of an era though!

TATA Motors never had a more aspirational sub-brand. Was hoping they would use the Safari nameplate for the H7X (and it would have anyway sounded better than Gravitas), but probably TATA only sees only the extra baggage associated with it instead.

If only the base model had ABS and airbags, would have picked one up on an impulsive decision sometime back. The base and mid variants, however, were barebones and the top end never justified the price tag.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th November 2019 at 17:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:35   #5
BHPian

It is a sad day indeed! I remember how I used to be mesmerized by the safari when I was a kid!

I bet the Scorpio will miss it's (only?) rival! I am hoping Mahindra will make a video of the Scorpio bidding adieu to the Safari since these were India's iconic rival SUVs and probably the only iconic rivals from Indian brands (I think)
dragracer567 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Me too hoped that Tata could have christened H7X the all-new Safari.
Even the timeline is coincident as Safari is heading way out just before Gravitas arrival.

Anyways, adios Safari Strome.
I still may own used one in future, just to take it off my bucket list.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Safari has always been my Gold Standard in the world of cars. Sadly, by the time I came of age to potentially buy one, urban India seemed to have shrunk space-wise. Now pollution and climate change have piled on top as well...

Sometimes, it is best if you never meet your legends. Unheard melodies remain the sweetest. And so on, farewell to this bellwether among Indian cars. I'll always envy Condor and other Safari/Storme owners. I'm sure it is a privilege to own/to have owned one.
locusjag is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:11   #8
BHPian

Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped

Safari as a brand name will always hold a place in many of our heart. How I wish company retained this brand and launched Harrier as the new generation safari instead of spending crores on the Harrier branding . That could have been some - reclaiming life (miss those ads as well) - moment for the brand! Will miss seeing this beast from childhood memories on the road . Just like Sierra and Estate :-/

Ps: Will there be a Safari Gravitas ? Wishful thinking perhaps.

Last edited by sajanjohn : 27th November 2019 at 18:21.
sajanjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:21   #9
BHPian

Ahhh the beast that enthralled us bids adieu. I hoped they would name the H7X a Safari. It was a wish to own one when I first saw it while in college. When I finally got mine 10 years later it was all what I had imagined it to be and more. I had to part with it after 10 years of beautiful companionship and the memories go on. I had hoped to renew the association with the H7X. Lets just hope there is enough of the Safari DNA in the Gravitas as I do not see the moniker being resurrected anytime soon.
nainan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:21   #10
BHPian

When my dad was with Concorde motors between 1999-2002, I used to visit the workshop. And the then AGM had this story to tell about the 1.Gen Safari.

He was shifting from Bangalore to Chennai. He loaded the car fully and then saw his wife off at the Bangalore Cantonment station who was travelling in the Shatabdi, the non-stop AC coach. He set out to Chennai through Kolar, Palamner, Ranipet, Chennai when they were 2 lane roads right before Kolar and well beyond Ranipet.

He managed to complete the journey in 5.5 hours while the Shatabdi did it in 6 hours. In a fully loaded car that came with the 483 DL TC producing 90bhp.

I was awestruck with this story as back then very few cars could compete with the Shatabdi and live to share the tale.

Farewell Safari. You indeed made your own road.

Last edited by VaidhiR : 27th November 2019 at 18:22.
VaidhiR is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:22   #11
KMT
BHPian

High time they buried this junk.

Only in India can manufacturers keep finding takers/admirers for such obsolete and sub standard stuff.

Hope Mahindra has the decency to discontinue the Bolero now.
KMT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:47   #12
BHPian

Sad day indeed. Is someone cutting onions here? I have tears in my eyes while reading this article. It was just a matter of time before Tata Motors pulled the plug on the legend!
I hope the Safari name tag lives on.

Meanwhile our Safari Dicor (which we fondly call BigBoy) just completed 10 years with us yesterday. We are so proud that we own one of the first home-grown SUV's. He will remain with us for many more years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Safari Storme production stopped-img_20191120_08165401.jpeg  

Octy17 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is no surprise at all. Tata discontinuing the Safari post BS6 was common knowledge. Only a formal announcement is now pending.

As for christening the H7X as the Safari, well there were 2 camps in Tata. One was of the opinion that the H7X should be called the Safari to carry on the nameplate while the other was of the opinion that the Safari moniker should only be used on a body on frame,4×4,butch looking SUV.

The brand Safari is defined by its throne like seating and king of the road feel which the Gravitas certainly lacks. Also according to my sources, Tata is evaluating a boxy and butch 4×4 on either the Harrier or the Hexa platform. So they may resurrect the Safari moniker then.
ram87pune is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 19:34   #14
BHPian

Sad news . I was just warming up to the idea of buying a used Storme next year.
Will it be still a good idea to go ahead and buy one ? Will it be difficult to service and source parts easily ?
Old 27th November 2019, 19:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

I think the moniker should be laid to rest too, at least for the near future.

'Safari' evokes a special emotion, and it will take a special car to wear that badge.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed