Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd December 2019, 05:54   #76
BHPian

Default Re: If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?

For me it is my Fusion 1.6 from Ford. We upgraded from a wagon R to this in late 2005. To move from a vehicle where you had to switch of the a/c to overtake was a dream come true. The heavy thirds of the door shutting, the high road clearance and the tight turning radius in a crowded city was probably a tipping point for us. At that time Ford had launched a beauty ahead of its time and with sales plummeting we got it 1 lakh cheaper.
Today when I see the vehicle on road, albeit rarely, it tugs my heart. We had a lot of emotional bonding with her. We bought our son back home after delivery in Sally. Oh by the way she was called Sally. We did some insane travels in her and clocked quite a bit on the odo.
Sadly lack of garage space was the reason for selling her. And then we got ourselves the Storme. It was again a decision of the heart rather than the head.
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:47   #77

My 2009 Swift (P) Vxi. Never realized how much I would miss this precious little car when I made the upgrade to a 2018 Ecosport (1.5 P) Titanium. While the Ecosport is a great car, it lacks the sheer character of the swift. I miss the slick gearshifts with the click noise, I also miss the throaty engine note near the red line and the amazing suspension.

I bought the swift with my 3 years of savings and I thoroughly loved every KM I put into it and would be more than happy to buy it back at some point if I come across it.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:45   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I wouldn't buy back any car of mine that I'd sold. On the few occasions that I've had the chance to come across my former cars, I'd found them in not as good a condition as I'd maintained them (exception: my Swift (Call of Kamakhya: Our emotional 2000 km Delhi-Guwahati Swift run), now owned by chiranjitp). That said, if I could have my Scorpio (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!) back in the same condition that I sold it, I would happily take it back - provided the prevailing rules in the country allowed it.

Name:  H4.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  339.3 KB

Photo courtesy: Samba.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd December 2019 at 12:47.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't buy back any car of mine that I'd sold. .
Same here.

Santro Zip Drive was my first "own" car which I used for more than 12 years. In fact, "abused" is a better word than used. It was my "own" car during my early twenties so of course I loved it and maintained it nicely. I am in touch with the new owner and he is happy with it. But buyback? No, I won't buy it back. 12 years with a car is a really long time and believe me I was sick of that car for the last 3 years of ownership. Not exactly in terms of maintenance and reliability issue but I wanted something new.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:11   #80
BHPian

For me, it has to be my Mitsubishi Lancer Invex 1.8 AT. I bought the immaculately maintained car from a dear friend in November 2017 when it had only two years of life left in it, until the NGT would have come down hard upon it.
I named it Sylvia - the only time I ever felt joy in naming a car of mine – and it was a dream to drive! I do miss it terribly and had to let it go due to two reasons –
1) An inconspicuous ‘jerk’ issue cropping up on the 4-speed Porsche-sourced auto tranny.
2) The NGT rule of a maximum life of 15 years for a petrol car in Delhi.
I have owned a Linea previously, but, with the 205-section Yoko S Drives, a super communicative steering, brilliant chassis and a low-slung driving position, the Lancer was in a different league altogether and held its line into a corner like a leech, never making me feel out of control or needing to back-off mid-corner. The bullet-proof 1.8L motor was smooth as butter and quite efficient too.
Tried my best to get the fault properly diagnosed and repaired, alas every mechanic (including the Mitsubishi ASS) I approached came out with the sole solution of just replacing the gearbox with a donor! With each passing day, I was losing time, and finally took the call of selling it off to Cars 24 in April this year, and let the next owner do what could be done. I had also put it up on OLX for a while, but abandoned the ad once I sensed a lot of suspicious people approaching from Tier 3 towns.
Sharing the pictures of a true legend, clicked by my dear photographer friend Bobby Roy. Damn, I loved Sylvia!
Attached Thumbnails
If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-screenshot_20191202125008_2.png  

If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-screenshot_20191202125012_2.png  

If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-screenshot_20191202125015_2.png  

If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-screenshot_20191202125018_2.png  

forester is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

I have only owned one car - the Punto 90HP. I used the car for only 3 years as I relocated outside India. I had to sell the car after 4 years of ownership as car was 'surplus to requirements' at home. If I move back to India at some point, I would like to buy back the Punto. I still fill I have some unfinished business with that car. The car has had two more owners after me (yes, I keep track of it via the Kerala MVD site ). I heard (haven't seen, so I am not sure) one or both of them made some not very tasteful mods to the car. Sometimes, I feel I need to rescue the lady from the villains
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:23   #82
BHPian

Looking back, I feel two such decisions which I took ended up in regrets later.

First one is my decision to sell 2001 Maruti Suzuki Zen LX.
I learnt driving with this cutie, and back in 2013, I sold it to get a vehicle with power steering.

If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-img20191202wa0016.jpg

The second one happened quite recently. 2008 Yamaha FZ16.
I pre-booked to get this one, and it was one of the first ones in my hometown.
Oh boy! What I ride it was back then. Years passed, I neglected it due to my personal/ professional commitments and eventually sold it in January this year.

If you could buyback an ex-car of yours, which would it be?-img20191202wa0017.jpg

I wouldn't think twice to get back these in my life.
WhiteFang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:06   #83
BHPian

For me it will always be my Punto. Sold it out of frustration with the after sales support. Sadly, every time I have bought a new car, I still continue to benchmark it with my Punto. It wasn't the most fuel efficient car but made me smile every mile we shared.
It was a purchase made with my heart. Since then I have always listen to my head. Still angry with FIAT for their lack of support for a quality vehicle.
chittybang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:47   #84

Without a doubt, my 2005 Baleno. I parted with it just last week :-).
I had bought it in 2005 because the dealer was offering deep discounts because it was going out of production. Within a year, I left India, leaving the car with my parents. They used it on and off with local drivers and when I came back 8 years later, it had run just over 20k km. Wonderful car and I intended to keep it for longer, but then one of the tires burst (Bangalore potholes!) and ripped in half. The other tires were due for replacement too and I couldn't justify spending 30K on new tires for a car that will probably fetch me around a lakh. Luckily, my neighbor who has a collection of a dozen cars of various vintages (most of them mercs with "history") offered to take it from me. The same day he put on Michelin tires and now I envy the car :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
I had bought it in 2005
Correction - it was 2006 Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Luckily, my neighbor who has a collection of a dozen cars of various vintages (most of them mercs with "history") offered to take it from me.
I will post photos of his collection some day here. If he approves, that is.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 4th December 2019 at 11:10. Reason: merging back to back posts
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 18:27   #85
BHPian

First, without a doubt, it would be Opel Astra. Except for the ground clearance on highways, it was a perfect Car and it was above the rest in terms of refinement, drive-ability etc., As long as the service center on Kanakapura Road, Bangalore (I don't remember name), was available, I didn't face any problems regarding maintenance. But once it was closed down, the service and response from the other dealer on Kasturba Road was not satisfactory. Therefore, I was forced to sell. Otherwise, Opel cars last at least 20-30 years, without any major breakdown.

Second, is Tata Sierra. But, this Vehicle was under powered, compared to the crdi engines launched in those times.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 18:35   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

If I could buy back then I would buy my 1970 cast iron Bullet 350 back. Ported, twin spark, electronic ignition, high compression, Dellorto PHBH28 carburetor and a host of other modifications. It was a Bullet pun intended
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 14:00   #87
BHPian

If I were to buyback, it would be my 3rd generation Honda City. I bought this gem in the year 2011 November, imagine, graduating from a Santro Xing (63 Bhp) to a 115 Bhp. A car that always left a smile on my face and I don't remember it going to the service station except when it was due for regular service.

I sold my gem in April this year and bought a Nissan Kicks XL petrol, a good car but nowhere close to Honda City. Good memories but what is gone is gone.
theguardian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 12:38   #88
BHPian

If I could buyback any ex-car, it would be our cute little Alto LX which we bought in June 2011 and sold off in December 2018, after using it for 2,05,000 kilometers. It was such a gem of a little car, it never broke down in these 200k kilometers except once when the gear selector rod gave up when I was starting off a red light.
Old 8th December 2019, 14:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Attachment 1939880

A major aspect in retaining a car for a long time, in addition to its reliability is also the service support and here Whitefield Honda has been excellent. My car is always treated with care and all parts are still available (albeit slightly on the expensive side and take a couple of weeks to come from Gurgaon). I don't know of too many cars that go back to the showroom it was purchased from for service in their 19th year.
Surely, she deserves a proper set of alloys, no?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 22:16   #90
BHPian

I had to scrap my +15 year old Maruti Zen. This is the car I would like to buy again!
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed
How I bought myself a Porsche at 25 years old
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade
Mustang crashes into truck driver - shows no remorse
Don't be naive, all of this happens before your PDI
Polo GTI falls off a flyover captured on video
Miscreants assault me & my car - justice prevails