Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Cars that punch above their weight in India!

Wonder how come no one mentioned Abarth Punto and Linea Tjet.

Under 10 lakhs (ex showroom) and during times when every company played safe, one company which most Indians thought had quit India in the early 2000s gave us Abarth Punto.

Probably the best Hot Hatch to ever be sold in the country. The next being Mini or GTI which are 3 times more expensive than the Abarth.

Sorry do not have a pic, but this car need no introduction on Team BHP.
VWAllstar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Would add the Mahindra XUV300 to this thread.
Again, this would just dilute the thread. These are just pros of the car. Not sure how it compares above its segment. We can go on listing good features and engine specs of all the cars but i don't think this thread is meant for that! I do understand you think it does compare to the segment above, so just stating what i felt: there has to be something it should have that cars in its segment and maybe even a segment above do not have..

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd December 2019 at 20:20. Reason: Image remove from quote. Quote trimmed.
abhi7013 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:36   #18
BHPian

After seeing posts on adding Ertiga, XUVs, Figo, Triber etc to the list, I wonder if we have moved away from the original intention of the opening post.
Punching above the weight means the car should be better than a significantly more expensive premium car atleast in some features.

Last edited by Lambydude : 2nd December 2019 at 20:43.
Lambydude is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Would add the Mahindra XUV300 to this thread.
The car looks good, good build and quality interiors. Awesome engines, both petrol and diesel. Loaded with lots of features, including loads of safety kit like 7 airbags, etc. The only big issue with this car is the small boot space. I think this car does punch above its weight.
Ironically, this car was off my list, because it "Did not" punch above its class, but fell short for what it was priced..
My consideration was the W8 (Non-O).
it was above 13.5 lakhs when "equivalent" competitors where 11.8OTR, Bangalore. Don't even think about W8O which cost above 15 for a sub4m 1.5l small booted "SUV".
thirumalkumaran is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
After seeing posts on adding Ertiga, XUVs, Figo, Triber etc to the list, I wonder if we have moved away from the original intention of the opening post.
Punching above the weight means the car should be better than a significantly more expensive premium car atleast in some features.
Triber hadn't been mentioned before this. But, yes, the Triber does punch above it's weight - it can seat 7 adults fairly comfortable within it's compact foot print

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-img20190921135303.jpg
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:19   #21
BHPian

Not the most preferred one on the shopping list but, would pick this purely for the CVT transmission, First-In-Segment Vehicle Dynamic Control and Traction Control System (TCS)! it's a go for the Datsun Go!
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that punch above their weight in India!-20190927115038_datsungocvt3.jpg  

vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:27   #22
BHPian

Triber will definitely fit here! The space for the price is a point that this car punches above it's weight! Starting at Rs.5 Lakhs, this car offers more VFM and space!

I was surprised to see the XUV300 here! I would say that is the least VFM in the CSUV segment!

Tata Hexa is the best in my list followed by Triber!

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-20190918110835_renaulttriber16.jpg

Image: Autocar India
Jagann13 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:29   #23
Team-BHP Support

My list is short:

Renault Triber
Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Skoda is the only manufacturer to have 3 cars on this list! Says a lot
Skoda India's killer ad campaign on punching above your weight:

SmartCat is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Wonder how come no one mentioned Abarth Punto and Linea Tjet.

Under 10 lakhs (ex showroom) and during times when every company played safe, one company which most Indians thought had quit India in the early 2000s gave us Abarth Punto.

Probably the best Hot Hatch to ever be sold in the country. The next being Mini or GTI which are 3 times more expensive than the Abarth.

Sorry do not have a pic, but this car need no introduction on Team BHP.
Infact I would also go further back .... Fiat Palio as a strong on performance and a solid hatch was much ahead of its times but we Indians could catch the concept of a performance hatch only when Hyundai launched Getz. All of a sudden average of 9-10 became acceptable.

Another car which stood out for me was Mitsubishi Lancer and in the current lot its Renault Duster

Cheers
namit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:47   #25
BHPian

I can forgive you if you say that these cars aren’t currently on sale in the country, but not if you deny the fact that they truly do punch above their own weights- and for good measure too! The enthusiast in me would gladly own these cars provided the money and time, but here we go:

Škoda Fabia 1.6/1.4:
With a cracker of a petrol engine and a staid diesel, this is one that I’d gladly trade our Rapid for. Was launched ahead of its time though- had a whole host of features that most D segment sedans lacked then and C segment sedans, even now: ABS, Airbags, Projector headlamps and fog lamps with integrated Daytime Running lamps, Rear Wash+Wipe, Sunroof, Heatable+electrically adjustable ORVMs, roomy interiors, 15” alloy wheels, etc., not to mention its solid build quality and decently supple ride, paired with elegantly understated and mature looks. (That makes it the fourth Škoda here, GTO!) Unfortunately, the facelifted Fabia was a victim of cost-cutting.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-42ca202d7f68469290dba7208813af7d.jpeg

Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX:
The true forerunner of Indian “hot hatches”, known for its good build quality and sweet steering feedback along with a scorcher of an engine that competed with the likes of the classics above its own segment: iKon, OHC, Lancer, Baleno, et al. ABS at that time didn’t hurt either.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-6l-gtx-4.html (Restoration Log - Fiat Palio 1.6L GTX)

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-d495b0f3939e4e88b49a7727abead630.jpeg

Honda City VTEC:
This one is pretty much self explanatory. That lovely straight line acceleration and rev happy engine paired with that juicy manual box and low slung looks, there probably never was a car that set heartbeats racing like this one. Even non-Honda fans would have to agree with the fact.

Quoting Overdrive from: http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...nda-city-vtec/

”When the City VTEC was launched, no other manufacturer offered a high performance engine in their cars (back then, 100PS was the stuff of dreams!). Honda though did not shy away from providing hi-tech products for the enthusiast and thus built a reputation that is formidable even to this day. Not only was the City VTEC fast, but also it handled very well and despite no factory support at all, it won multiple Indian rally championships. The engine was also so strong that even today, tuners install turbo kits taking the power to over 150PS.”

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-f72d26e1b0a144cd938bf0326a85aec0.jpeg

They don’t make cars like they used to, with the exception of a few modern well known contemporaries.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 2nd December 2019 at 22:07. Reason: Don’t mean to polarise opinions!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:59   #26
BHPian

When it comes to off-roading, Mahindra Thar definitely punches above the belt. It trumps many 4x4 SUVs with fancy electronics.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that punch above their weight in India!-mahthar02.jpg  

Last edited by Lambydude : 2nd December 2019 at 22:00.
Lambydude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Lovely thread!! Ertiga & Triber would be worthy additions!
XUV500 did offer quite a bit for the money but its losing it shine. If they can turn it around in the next rev, it would deinitely go right up!
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:39   #28
BHPian

Are we forgetting a "Legend" here? The Safari Storme (Varicor 400 VX 4X4) has to be the top contender here. Does everything what a Fortuner or the Endeavour does at half the price.
RD150 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread with very good examples that can change the buyer's decision if he/she starts thinking in this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford Endeavour 3.2L

One of my favourite cars on sale in India. A BHPian who owns a Discovery & this Ford said "I cannot understand how the Endeavour offers 90% of the Discovery at 50% of the cost". The Endeavour 3.2 AT is a terrific all-rounder that matches so many SUVs costing 70-lakh rupees or more. No wonder it's selling a consistent ~600 units every month, despite its age, the Ford brand and a tough market.
GTO, since you have added a Ford car in your favourits now, hope Ford will start sending two cars for all their upcoming cars for Team-BHP review. Related thread (Ford doesn't have an EcoSport for Team-BHP; Can we please borrow yours?).
mukeshgoel is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:13   #30
BHPian

I know it's fashionable to bash Hyundai but the Venue DCT brings near polo GT levels of performance if you give it the beans with a more practical shape ( disclaimer : own a polo tsi for 5 years and have driven the venue DCT for more than 500 km). Only downside is the FE. At the price , it's a no brainer for a DINK family
JishD is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed