Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 14:37   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars that punch above their weight in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I agree that Harrier is not doing great, but it isn't doing too bad either (again note the absence of petrol, automatic, awd). But Hexa is doing really bad.
Hexa is being phased out. Tata has themselves said that they wont be upgrading it to BS6. How do you expect the car to sell in such a scenario? Our discussion is based on the merits of the car which kept it relevant even when Tata as a whole was in tatters. The current sales numbers are not important.
Old 6th December 2019, 14:45   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hexa is being phased out. Tata has themselves said that they wont be upgrading it to BS6.
Could you please direct us to this source? Contrary to what you said, Tata itself has told on more than one occasion that Hexa would not be phased out and will continue into BS6. There are various articles on this very forum itself.
However, if you have information that says otherwise, request you to share the link here as well!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:06   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Could you please direct us to this source? Contrary to what you said, Tata itself has told on more than one occasion that Hexa would not be phased out and will continue into BS6. There are various articles on this very forum itself.
However, if you have information that says otherwise, request you to share the link here as well!
My info was from what I had read on this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ed-2020-a.html

But as you have pointed out now, it appears that things have been updated on the last page of the thread and it isn't being phased out eventually . Regardless the other points stay relevant.
Old 7th December 2019, 21:50   #109
BHPian

If a car can go around the MMRT in 2m15.41s, do a 0-100 dash within 10 seconds, have a power to weight ratio of over 110bhp/tonne, keep up with way pricier cars on highways without feeling out of breath and still be available for less than 8 lakhs on road ... It surely should be on, up here in this thread! The Tiago JTP...
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that punch above their weight in India!-img_20191110_1115002.jpg  

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-img_20191110_1117292.jpg  

vik99 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 22:58   #110
Team-BHP Support

This thread came in the nick of time. I was about to book a Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI which is on this thread as well. I was somewhat convinced the Onyx edition was the one to get before the 1.8TSI engine goes away for good. However owning an Ecosport the thought of owning a low slung sedan and one which was almost going out of production was playing on my mind. I thought I had made up my mind but the Octavia was having too many doubts at the back of my mind whereas what I really really wanted was the Kodiaq. I went ahead and booked the Octavia nonetheless thinking I had saved a good amount of money with the Octavia and the Kodiaq was overkill for my needs.

After reading this thread and this one: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...to-longer.html I slept over it and the next day went to pay the deposit.

Instead of paying for the Octavia I ended up paying for the Kodiaq Scout.

The Kodiaq felt like a 60 lakhs SUV being sold for 40L. The Octy felt right for 25L. After spending 25L for the Octavia, after 2 years there would be a few options to upgrade to and this would make me feel like there are better options available. The new Octavia scheduled in 2020 parked next to the old one would not be a good feeling.

By getting the Kodiaq, upgrading to anything else would not be easy even after 5 years and being properly loaded, I wouldn't be missing any features. The Kodiaq had very few negatives unlike the 1.8L TSI with the known problematic DSG (though now they say it is fixed).

Knowing the condition of our roads and a low slung sedan I was thinking of keeping my old Ecosport for backup when needed. With the Kodiaq I don't need to and don't need to shell money for a 3rd parking spot in my apartment.

In the end the additional price was something I was ok to spend as well so that made it easier to jump from Octavia to Kodiaq. So now I am getting delivery of my Kodiaq next week
Vid6639 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 00:05   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
By getting the Kodiaq, upgrading to anything else would not be easy even after 5 years and being properly loaded, I wouldn't be missing any features. The Kodiaq had very few negatives unlike the 1.8L TSI with the known problematic DSG (though now they say it is fixed).
Good choice. Clarkson even called it the best car in the world, if I remember correctly (Somewhat in jest, but still!)

However, are you sure you won't miss the 2.0L TSI that's just around the corner in the Kodiaq? Easy remap to stock VRS levels are possible on that engine.
Old 21st December 2019, 00:09   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Good choice. Clarkson even called it the best car in the world, if I remember correctly (Somewhat in jest, but still!)

However, are you sure you won't miss the 2.0L TSI that's just around the corner in the Kodiaq? Easy remap to stock VRS levels are possible on that engine.

Wouldnt a 2.0 TSI be an absolute guzzler on the Kodiaq? I am asking more out of personal curiosity not in the context of OPs purchase.
Old 21st December 2019, 00:28   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wouldnt a 2.0 TSI be an absolute guzzler on the Kodiaq? I am asking more out of personal curiosity not in the context of OPs purchase.
The TSIs are extremely efficient engines, especially at highway speeds, where consumption is defined more by the aerodynamics than anything else. For instance, a Passat 2.0 TSI is more efficient than a Kodiaq 2.0 TDI at 100KM/h!

This video shows a fuel consumption of 5-6 L/100KM for a Q3 2.0 TFSI at 100Km/h

A Kodiaq 2.0 TDI has about the same consumption (5.5L/100KM) at the same speed.

Meanwhile, a Passat 2.0 TSI only requires 4.7L/100KM!

Given these three datapoints, I don't think a Kodiaq 2.0TSI should be more than 6L/100KM at a steady 100KM/h, which implies good economy on a highway, but presumably not so much in the city.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 01:05   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is the Kodiaq overpriced by 5 lakhs? You bet........
......The Skoda dude told me that he is offering a 70-lakh rupee SUV for 35 lakhs. After taking one on a highway trip, I couldn't agree more.
Aren't these two contradictory? If it offers value comparable to a 70 lakh SUV, why call it overpriced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I would add the following cars to the list:

1. XUV500 automatic
2. Maruti Ciaz Delta - the new age executive sedan
3. S-Cross Delta with added features
What aspects of these cars rival the segment above?

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 21st December 2019 at 01:09.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 06:01   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The TSIs are extremely efficient engines, especially at highway speeds, where consumption is defined more by the aerodynamics than anything else. For instance, a Passat 2.0 TSI is more efficient than a Kodiaq 2.0 TDI at 100KM/h!

Given these three datapoints, I don't think a Kodiaq 2.0TSI should be more than 6L/100KM at a steady 100KM/h, which implies good economy on a highway, but presumably not so much in the city.

I meant more in our daily metro grind. Like mumbai bumper to bumper traffic where at least my car would spend 80-90% of its life. Also out on the highway it might go much faster than 100 kmph. But more focus on the city bit. My fear is that the best of petrol engines in city traffic end up going down to 5-6 kmpl (18-20 litres / 100 km!)

The diesels are not that punishing in traffic.
Old 21st December 2019, 08:54   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes I know the 2.0L TSI is coming soon in the Kodiaq but I drive daily through traffic to work and highway drives are 4-5 in a year.

Being used to a Diesel, I preferred to get the Diesel as in town the running costs will be lower. The 2.0L TSI I doubt will get even 7kmpl in town for a large crossover weighting 1.7tonnes and AWD.

Also, Indians love their SUV's and they love them diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 10:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aren't these two contradictory? If it offers value comparable to a 70 lakh SUV, why call it overpriced?
Agree. 70 lakh SUVs (Q7, XC90, X5...) are larger (even the last row is much more usable), much more powerful and loaded with lot more features. Soft roaders are generally 1.4 to 1.5 times more expensive than the sedan (platform) on which they are based on and the 40-45 lakhs (on-road Bangalore)seems to be the right price for Kodiaq after all.
Old 21st December 2019, 11:08   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is and isn't.

For a Skoda it is very difficult to shell out 45 lakhs no matter how good it is. In the end there is also badge value which the Audi/BMW/Merc/Land Rover have over the Skoda.

It's like the Endeavour and Superb in a way. The Endy is like a Land Rover Discovery at half the cost and the Superb is like an E-class at half the cost.

A sweet spot would be 40L on road in most cities vs the 45+ on road right now for the top spec.

However as a package it offers what a car like the Discovery Sport or earlier GLE offered. The GLE recently has pushed the bar up and so has the X5.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 16:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

Figo, Tiago JTP and Punto Abarth come to mind of course, in terms of performance for money. It is heart warming that someone can go to market with 8 lakhs and still come home with something that is not dull.

In terms of erstwhile cars, the Zen, the old Figo, the old Fiesta, the Palio and the Ikon offered a very fulfilling driving feel at their price levels. (Although the Zen was pretty expensive when it was launched, but the price stayed flat and didn't rise with inflation).

The age-old Gypsy in terms of off-road-ability for its price (or at any price for that matter), and also for sheer image.

The Duke 390 and Interceptor can play with much pricier bikes with their performance.
Old 14th February 2020, 13:08   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is and isn't.

For a Skoda it is very difficult to shell out 45 lakhs no matter how good it is. In the end there is also badge value which the Audi/BMW/Merc/Land Rover have over the Skoda.

It's like the Endeavour and Superb in a way. The Endy is like a Land Rover Discovery at half the cost and the Superb is like an E-class at half the cost.

A sweet spot would be 40L on road in most cities vs the 45+ on road right now for the top spec.

However as a package it offers what a car like the Discovery Sport or earlier GLE offered. The GLE recently has pushed the bar up and so has the X5.

You would not regret the Kodiaq decision any time soon. Its a wonderful car to drive and very good/proper Upgrade from your current Ecosport.

Time to update your tbhp garage man...It still shows Alto and Lancer :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks