Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Cars that punch above their weight in India!

I'd actually differ on the addition of the Toyota Innova in this list especially considering the title which would point at matching up to a level above at it's price point. Sure the Innova has earned it's badge as durable, reliable and a no-hassle UV and would ace this list when it was launched back in 2005 ( All this at a sub 10L price point!!!). Right now, owning the Tata Hexa and having considered the Innova as one of the options while purchasing the same, it make a no-brainer going for it rather than the Hexa from a product point of view.

To sum it up, I think what the Innova offers at it's price point is rather justifiable ( being very generous here) rather than punching above their weight!
aenkay91 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:42   #47
BHPian

Moving to the luxury segment, I feel the E class LWB sold in India really does punch above it’s weight. You get S class like legroom for less than half the price!

If there was a competition though, the winner would be the Skoda Octavia Vrs, it’s the queen of punching above its weight!
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that punch above their weight in India!-6f85f48d6f954d9282d7648265ce2879.jpeg  

dragracer567 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:12   #48
BHPian

If I may, I would like to include the global Fiesta in the list. Famous for mostly wrong reasons, this one had an ace up it's sleeve, that helped it punch above it's weight - the brilliantly calibrated EPS and sublime handling that could bring shame to many a expensive cars, some of them proclaiming to be for the enthusiasts.
While I truly believe the first gen Fiesta to be a superior driver's car to the later gens, the global models had to deal with tougher competition and in the modern era of EPS, held their own in the handling department.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-ford_fiesta_02.jpg

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-fordfiestafacelift22.jpg
Porschefire is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:11   #49
BHPian

Volvo XC40

The Volvo XC40 offers semi-autonomous driving aids. It offers radar guided adaptive cruise control. It even offers lane keep assist where it will steer itself and keep itself within the lane (as long as it's well marked). These are features not found in not just one, but 2 segments above the XC40.

Last edited by nd4$pd : 3rd December 2019 at 16:21. Reason: Using team-bhp image
nd4$pd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:20   #50
BHPian

Not sure if it counts at the discounted price. But the VW Passat top variant is being sold at around 30 lacs at the moment. Given the creature comforts and technology that comes with it - it's an excellent buy at that price point.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:38   #51
BHPian

Absolutely agree with the Ford Figo, particularly the 1.5 Titanium AT. Compared to the equivalent CVT variant of the best-seller Baleno, it's better equipped, better performing(The 1.5 engine with 120bhp)better built, and in my opinion, better looking. The CVT can't hold a candle to the wonderful good old Torque converter in terms of reliability and performance ( no "rubber band effect"). Apart from lacking the relative smoothness of 4 cylinder engines, I can't honestly pull up a trump card in favour of the Baleno( Apart from maybe A.S.S) Sadly, the second generation Figo has suffered from low sales throughout the years, and won't probably see a successor in the future with the advent of Mahindra ownership. No more automatic city car that's also fun to drive. Shame.
GipsyDanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:38   #52
BHPian

Is the Passat available anywhere?
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Punching above its weight to me is if a person owning a car from particular segment would be open to consider buying a car from a segment lower segment. Or a car that folks don't mind sharing the garage space with a much expensive ride . And the sample has to be large enough, not few instances. This means the has to be a good product, VFM and has good brand value. If this is just about engine, space, features etc.- Vento/Rapid/XUV300/Honda City/Tiguan etc. a lot of them would fit in based on their strengths in certain area.
BTW 3 out 5 of my rides are from this category
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:24   #54

Now my entry will be an unusual one for sure. Its the Mahindra Xylo; Why?

VFM - You get almost all the features of a XUV base and mid variant in the top end Xylo (H8) i.e. Mhawk 2.2L engine, ABS, EBD, Airbags, Cruise Control, etc..... All this at about 70% of the XUV's price
Space - Hardly any other MUV can match its space (special note for the 3rd row seating)
Rugged and easy to maintain - Maintenance costs are bare minimum and it is a very rugged vehicle

While on the downside, you will have to endure the Taxi Image (personal experience of valet parking guys at expensive hotels, not bothering to open the door for the driver). Looks like Mahindra is not bringing the BS6 engine to Xylo, thereby strangling a product which at present doesn't have any competitor (Innova too costly & Marazzo/Ertiga/Lodgy with puny engines)
LionHeart124 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b][center]Skoda Octavia
The definition of VFM! The Octavia 1.8 / 2.0 easily meet or beat the C-Class, 3-Series & A4 in most important areas. Bring in the vRS variant and you are talking about outperforming far more expensive cars from far higher price points.

P.P.S. Skoda is the only manufacturer to have 3 cars on this list! Says a lot...
There is huff and puff about Octavia vRS coming to India next year Auto-show in its original tune i.e. 245 BHP (link) and that should punch even higher.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd December 2019 at 18:38. Reason: Edited quoted post
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I would like to add the Ford Freestyle TDCI 1.5. Its a safe car with beautiful engine, loaded with features and priced well. However, the car does not seem to be available with most dealers.
Agree 100%.

Tried hard for over two months at two dealers in Ahmedabad to buy Freestyle TDCI. They just refused to take booking for Ambiente and all along tried to sell me a car (Trend) that was made in February. One dealer wanted to sell a 2018 Freestyle (Trend) but was not willing to offer more than Rs 30000 discount
Tried hard since the engine (diesel) was a beauty. Finally settled for Ignis.
sreepathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Think of it as a 70 kg boxer fighting a 90 kg one. Oxford says:
The list of overpriced cars in India runs long. However, what about special cars that offer more than you'd expect for the asking $$$? Surely, there are a couple of such gems in India. Here is my list.

BHPians: Please add to this list with cars which you think punch above their weight!
Spot on if you leave the Toyota's aside. I tried hard to see if I could add one to this list from my side, but couldn't!!

The closest I think is Tata Harrier, but not quiet there yet.
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:56   #58
BHPian

Mahindra Alturas G4 would be my pick for sub INR 30 lakhs 4x4 premium SUV, it offers features that are above it's segment. Of course it's capability as a seasoned off roader may not be as time tested as that of Toyota Fortuner.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-1933562d1573476631townershipexperiencemymahindraalturasg4img_00691.jpg

Even being a Crysta owner, I would keep Toyota Innova Crysta as not one that punches above but in the same segment because of the price, a segment it has set so high itself that make it a benchmark. I can at most call it a segment higher Merc like reliability if I have to. If i get the features of Kia Grand Carnival inside the body of Toyota Innova Crysta with their reliability married to it, then Innova can be considered punching a segment above. Off topic, Grand Carnival ground clearance is a big put down for me.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-1930976d1572901924tlongweekendtrippuribeachinnovacrystaimg_20190817_1628121.jpg

My last remark on new Ertiga (XL6 is not to my taste), it is indeed as some online reviews say being 70% Innova at 50% the price. But it's build quality raises my concern and I believe for 12 lakhs it's still punches in same segment. If Renault ups the game again with a Triber bigger brother, may be the speculated 7 seater version of Captur phasing out Lodgy then that would be a punch above the segment provided they price it competitively in sub 10-11 lakh segment.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-2018marutiertiga011.jpg

Last edited by haisaikat : 3rd December 2019 at 19:59.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:07   #59
BHPian

Although the Jetta is no longer in the Indian market, it was definitely VFM especially in the mid trim petrol guise. The MK6 Jetta had features and safety from a segment above at a price which cars a segment below sell at today.

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-2015_jetta_tdi_4218800x500.jpg
Vegitocat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 20:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4$pd View Post
Volvo XC40
The Volvo XC40 offers semi-autonomous driving aids. It offers radar guided adaptive cruise control. It even offers lane keep assist where it will steer itself and keep itself within the lane (as long as it's well marked). These are features not found in not just one, but 2 segments above the XC40.
Yes! I think the XC40 well and truly punches above its weight. One truly needs to go up a couple of segments to get the kind of features on offer. The same goes for the XC60 as well.

The Innova while I agree that it is a commercial success; for the price it definitely feels like it could do more and IMHO does not punch above its weight and consequentially does not belong to this list.
motorotor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks