Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 00:20   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenkay91 View Post
Right now, owning the Tata Hexa and having considered the Innova as one of the options while purchasing the same, it make a no-brainer going for it rather than the Hexa from a product point of view!
You mean you regret buying hexa over innova?
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 00:56   #62
BHPian

Re: Cars that punch above their weight in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
You mean you regret buying hexa over Innova?
Oh the opposite rather! Apologies for the conflicting wording. Hexa is a much superior product as compared to the Innova and at a much better price-point. Enjoying every bit of the drive and ownership.
aenkay91 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 06:00   #63
BHPian

Cars that punch above their weight in India!-0.jpg

Sunny
The one sedan that seem to have Vfm with loads of spaaaace at evey corner.

Be it ride comfort, solid build quality, space, price or maintenance, it is the only sedan in the Indian market after the 80s contessa era that has ever been launched in the matket. It manages to offer good user convenience both in taxi n personal usage segment. Even GTO owns one !

Last edited by jeganatu : 4th December 2019 at 06:03.
Old 4th December 2019, 06:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

I would also add the MG Hector - diesel model here, you effectively get the most powerful , spacious, comfortable & comprehensively equipped car(mpv/pseudo suv) in the 15-20 lac segment. The engine is reliable, fuel efficient, and the car seems well built. Thats like a 5 seat Innova for 70 % of the price . For most VFM conscious buyers ,thats punching above its weight as far as I am concerned, driving dynamics notwithstanding!
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 07:23   #65
BHPian

I am looking to buy a larger SUV (currently have KIA Sportage). Happen to see KODIAQ's advertisement few months back on a bus here in Sydney. Went through some videos and reviews and it blew my mind off. $53000 drive away price for top end diesel with almost every feature of a top end Q5 or Q7.

But the problem is perception of buyers about SKODA. Since I have a habit (or due to circumstances) changing cars every 4 years or so, I decided not to go with KODIAQ, due to poor resale value.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would also add the MG Hector - diesel model here, you effectively get the most powerful , spacious, comfortable & comprehensively equipped car(mpv/pseudo suv) in the 15-20 lac segment.
I agree. The Hector has redefined that space, which is why Tata and Mahindra are scurrying to replicate the features from the Hector to stem falling sales. Only for the diesel variant though.

MG will have to rework the DCT a bit in the upcoming six seater if it hopes to continue the sales momentum.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a lot of confusion on what qualifies as "Punching above ones weight".

My definition is a car which provides all the functionalities of cars one segment above atleast wrt
  1. Performance
  2. Gizmos
  3. Safety
  4. Space (no-of seats)

Looks are subjective, hence shouldnt be a factor.

Segment leading, but not next segment level performance SHOULD NOT CLASSIFY AS "Punching above ones weight". By this definition, Innova is actually Punching BELOW ones weight.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:45   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful list of cars GTO, and I have to say I agree with almost all your choices. I have been a VAG / Skoda fan, and am not surprised they have 3 cars in this list (and probably the one car that deserved to be there and missed out - viz the Polo GT). But if I were to pick one car from these as the pick of the lot, it would be the new Camry. Every time I travel in it, I feel good. And as a Hybrid, it is the most sensible car for Indian city roads as well. Sensible + Feels Great + Hopefully Reliable - what more can you ask for!
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think there is a lot of confusion on what qualifies as "Punching above ones weight".

My definition is a car which provides all the functionalities of cars one segment above atleast wrt
  1. Performance
  2. Gizmos
  3. Safety
  4. Space (no-of seats)

Segment leading, but not next segment level performance SHOULD NOT CLASSIFY AS "Punching above ones weight". By this definition, Innova is actually Punching BELOW ones weight.
Totally agree with first 3 points. However, should no. Of seats be a criteria? In that way Tata sumo can be called punching above the weight. No. Of seats in my opinion is also subjective and based on requirement.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:59   #70
BHPian

Frankly, I find most of the cars today overpriced for what they offer and in comparison to what was available for similar money not too long ago.

In the current lot, I can think of only 2 cars which qualify IMO: Hexa and Superb. I was tempted to add the Hector but have my own concerns with its depth of engineering.

From the yesteryears, the first gen Elantra Diesel was a lot of VFM and could give cars twice its price a run for their money and same with the Chevy Cruze. Not to forget the S Cross 1.6 from the not too distant past!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Totally agree with first 3 points. However, should no. Of seats be a criteria? In that way Tata sumo can be called punching above the weight. No. Of seats in my opinion is also subjective and based on requirement.
Understand the Sumo example and your thoughts. But look at point 4 with the Triber as the example and hopefully you will get my point of view.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:56   #72
BANNED

FIGO 1.5D BASE

When I was buying a car I had a budget of up to 12L. I carefully considered all the options available and chose to buy FIGO 1.5D BASE for 6.17L on-road on 05 January, 2016. It being a rare combination of high performance, best fuel economy and low maintenance clinched the deal for me. I had many sedans, 'SUVs', SUVs, 'MUVs' and MUVs(99% of the cars getting sold) in my consideration, yet this car had outdone them all. It really punched way about its weight from my perspective.

Now with the Odometer crossing 82k, I am fully satisfied and content without an ounce of regret. I have no plans of upgrading either. I am dreaming of doing an engine swap when the time comes for an engine overhaul.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 4th December 2019 at 10:57.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeart124 View Post
Now my entry will be an unusual one for sure. Its the Mahindra Xylo; Why?

VFM - You get almost all the features of a XUV base and mid variant in the top end Xylo (H8) i.e. Mhawk 2.2L engine, ABS, EBD, Airbags, Cruise Control, etc..... All this at about 70% of the XUV's price
Space - Hardly any other MUV can match its space (special note for the 3rd row seating)
Rugged and easy to maintain - Maintenance costs are bare minimum and it is a very rugged vehicle

Looks like Mahindra is not bringing the BS6 engine to Xylo, thereby strangling a product which at present doesn't have any competitor (Innova too costly & Marazzo/Ertiga/Lodgy with puny engines)
The only thing Mahindra had to sort out in Xylo was the front facia, or maybe just those headlights. The Mahindra Imperio and Nuvosport had a much better looking fronts, but Mahindra being Mahindra decided not to update the Xylo and let it be a sales dud just because of it's looks. Imperio isn't doing well in it's category, Nuvosport is out of production already and now Xylo would go out of production. Wonder how folks manage product development at Mahindra, it's kind of unfortunate that a very competent product was let down by it's looks, a small issue which Mahindra couldn't fix in 10 years.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
  1. Performance
  2. Gizmos
  3. Safety
  4. Space (no-of seats)
The list you mentioned itself is subjective. Unless the owners/prospective buyer of higher segments have bought are willing to buy a car from lower segment there is not much way of proving. If excelling in one department alone is suffice, almost all the cars would belong to this category. For example Alto can be punching above its weight due to superior fuel efficiency which the cars in next 10 segment can only dream off

Innova was mentioned because it drives like a 40Lac SUV(superior ride), better performance on tarmac,better space management,similar safety equipment at a lower price point. The areas where it lacks is w.r.to road presence and off road capability. It satisfies 4 of the 5 items in the list!
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The list you mentioned itself is subjective.

Innova was mentioned because it drives like a 40Lac SUV(superior ride), better performance on tarmac,better space management,similar safety equipment at a lower price point.
List can be subjective, Yes, people can add front seat comfort to the list if they like. As long as they define why a particular car is recommended in the list. But both examples in the conversation dont meet the definition. Lets see why.

A swift diesel can beat the FE of a alto petrol in real life conditions, in city and on highways. With AC the battle for Alto becomes even weak. Did we forget the Fiesta Mileage records? Unless Price is considered a parameter, I dont think Alto can afford punch anyone anywhere given the lowest quality build quality on Indian roads today.

The Innova would have been the case in absence of Hexa. Hexa does all that Innova can do, at 30% lower costs AND has road presence.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed