Team-BHP - BMW's Smart Repair Service for smaller nicks & dents
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   BMW's Smart Repair Service for smaller nicks & dents (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/216255-bmws-smart-repair-service-smaller-nicks-dents.html)

BMW has introduced BMW Smart Repair Service for small and medium repairs at reduced costs.

BMW's Smart Repair Service for smaller nicks & dents-01-image-1.jpg

BMW Smart Repair includes body and paint related jobs including plastic parts, dents, spot paint jobs, headlight, alloy wheel and leather works. According to the company, the repairs are carried out by trained BMW technicians using genuine BMW tools and equipment.

BMW Smart Repair Service is available across India all BMW service centres.

Link to Team-BHP News

All depends on how fair their pricing is, but it's good to see this. If I'm not wrong, Mercedes has offered spot painting since the longest time. I'd gotten a small dent on my C220's door perfectly painted that way from Auto Hangar.

One thing I've realised though = with very complex cars, it's best to stick to the authorised workshop as much as possible.

Oh this is wonderful news and I thank you for telling us.

I shall quote it when I go and see the BMW people this week. Im slotted to show them the Mini and take their views on it and recommendations based on visual examination and ramp examination etc.

There are indeed a couple of small scratches and dents on the Mini and one place where the rubber strip on the windshield bottom cowl seems to be parting ways with the body, on account of age - so if the BMW people can have those removed under this SMART Repair Service, it will be great.

I also agree with GTO on this - with these expensive and complex cars, it is better to go to the Authorised Workshop rather than Independent Garages. Yes, one may end up spending more, but at least the work is getting done by company trained technicians, using proper company / vehicle specific tools and equipment and the work details are all going to be available there in the history records of the vehicle.

Seems to be a good initiative, but depends mainly on 2 factors for me
- Pricing, Obviously. I would be willing to pay a 1.5 to 2x premium over a good independent garage, but not more that that.
- Turn around time : If i can get my car repaired at an FNG in 1 day, I would expect BMW to also do it in the same time, and not keep it longer. (I have only one car)
- Can they do spot painting of the damage, or would they do the complete panel? At FNGs, while the paint coat needs to be applied only to the damaged area, the clearcoat is applied to the whole panel.

While i agree that these are complex cars, but not everything is complex about them. Denting and painting process is same for all cars, from a Maruti to a BMW. A good FNG can do a great job here. Even if BMW has the OEM paint shades in their workshop, they still have to do a visual match and color matching adjustments before application.

Also, for many other jobs like brake pads, rotors, suspension parts and other wear and tear items, an FNG can do a good job as long as you source good quality spares (Textar, Lemforder, ATE, Bosch etc.) and we don't have to run to ASS and pay 5x the cost.

Yes, for complex repairs, the best is the ASS, and you are covered as long as you are in warranty. After that, be ready for some eye watering bills and long downtimes if anything goes wrong with these Europeans.

Rgds