Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 10:46   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia RS 245 confirmed for India. Edit: Launched @ 36 lakhs

Going by the Aug'20 Octavia sales numbers they seem to have a decent number of VRs' left in stock.

Since April 2020, they sold only 70 Octavias. Does that mean there are approximately 130 VRs' left unsold?
Pancham is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:58   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Going by the Aug'20 Octavia sales numbers they seem to have a decent number of VRs' left in stock.

Since April 2020, they sold only 70 Octavias. Does that mean there are approximately 130 VRs' left unsold?
Almost every major automotive news site has reported it to be sold out in April

Fake News at its best.

All the more reason to rely on T-BHP.
Old 4th September 2020, 13:06   #258
BHPian

1. Why would someone buy a vRS245 for such a premium over vRS230 - the latter is still a competent machine

2. Why would someone NOT buy a 330i/3-GT/C for that price?

Even if hardware and performance matches, will someone buy a Xiomi flagship over Samsung S series/iPhone if priced closely? VW group should get their fundamentals right - understand the market sentiment.
Zinda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:13   #259
BHPian

I think Skoda got a little carried away and blinded by the success of the earlier VRS. But what they didn't realize is that it was a success because, that performance was on offer under 30L .

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be able to digest paying 45 big ones on an Octavia whatever magical trickery e-diffs and what not it may have under the skin. Me guesses that after the hype died out and the reality of the Covid situation hit those who'd booked these cars, some sense dawned on them and they promptly cancelled their bookings.

I would say wait till the end of the year. Much like the Polo GTI. This VRS will also receive some juicy discounts.

Lets see how it goes.
Turrrb0 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:21   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
1. Why would someone buy a vRS245 for such a premium over vRS230 - the latter is still a competent machine

2. Why would someone NOT buy a 330i/3-GT/C for that price?

Even if hardware and performance matches, will someone buy a Xiomi flagship over Samsung S series/iPhone if priced closely? VW group should get their fundamentals right - understand the market sentiment.
I agree with you. BMW has much higher brand appeal than Skoda. 45L was Skoda vRS is way too much.

Also, BMW's after sales support and reliability would be much better. We all are aware about Skoda's horrendous After Sales Service.
Sounak04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:37   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Why would someone NOT buy a 330i/3-GT/C for that price?
I think most of the people that buy a vRS 245 are hard core enthusiasts that understand the potential of the platform and wish to build it to an atleast Stage 2 machine. For this purpose, the vRS 230 was a great choice too but sadly it isn't available anymore. A stage 2 vRS can shame cars double its price quite easily.

For most people who prefer to stay stock or at max stage 1 however, the 330i makes much more sense.
dealer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:54   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
I got a call from Krishna Škoda Chandigarh for the Vrs 245.
Seems like Škoda India have a lot of cancellations.
Likewise in Mumbai. And a couple of follow-ups too. The car was too overpriced! The last version was 25L and a great buy. I don't see how this one was worth nearly 50% more! It's so odd! VAG don't learn from proper blunders. They'd seen it happen to the GTi and still did this. Incredible! We're enthusiasts. Not madmen. You'll get a perfectly good 530d in the used car market for that money and add BMWs many programs, keep it for long. Very long!
Annibaddh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:59   #263
BHPian

With the mouth watering price of the 330i sport, or the big discounts on the 330i GT, why buy the pricey Octavia VRS?

Makes no sense.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th September 2020 at 16:40. Reason: Typos, punctuation. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:58   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
I think most of the people that buy a vRS 245 are hard core enthusiasts that understand the potential of the platform and wish to build it to an atleast Stage 2 machine. For this purpose, the vRS 230 was a great choice too but sadly it isn't available anymore. A stage 2 vRS can shame cars double its price quite easily.

For most people who prefer to stay stock or at max stage 1 however, the 330i makes much more sense.
A hard core enthusiast will prefer a RWD anyday! Period.

The 330i Sport with sufficient discounts will destroy any reason to get the vRS 245.

And if I'm not wrong, modability of BMW's will be more with wider options from reputed brands. Also the 330i platform is far more advanced to handle more power.

The Octavia vRS originally sold well for its immense value. Unfortunately, Skoda got snow-blinded by the attention. Serves them right.
Turbohead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:46   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I wholeheartedly agree on the RWD part, you cannot compare the amount of fun in a RWD and FWD car. I also have no dispute on the fact that the 330i is objectively a better value. On the tuner friendly nature however, the B48 in the 330i is already near its limit from the factory and there is not much to extract on stock internals. Skoda absolutely got the pricing on the 245 wrong and they're bearing the consequences but the fact remains that for an enthusiast who is interested in tuning/building cars there really is no alternative.

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2020 at 07:25. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 4th September 2020, 21:59   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
FWD vehicles have come a long way from their good old days and overall package of the vehicle matters much more than just FWD or RWD. Octavia vRS shares its underpinning with the legendary Golf GTI which is enthusiast's favorite for decades. There are plenty of aftermarket support for the vehicles in this platform.

Skoda India priced it terribly for the Indian market but Octavia vRS is a great vehicle in general.

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2020 at 07:25. Reason: compacted quoted post
vj123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:50   #267
BHPian

It just defies all logic to buy a vRS 245 for an OTR price of over 42-43L (in Delhi). I picked up an Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K in jan. this year for an OTR of 25.2 L, as they had good discounts going on their late 2019 stock. The normal OTR without discounts was about 28.1 L

But when I saw the launch price of the vRS 245 in March of 36L Ex. showroom, it was completely mind boggling and even more the fact as to how quickly it got sold out once the bookings started. I just couldn't fathom as to why would would people pay this kind of money for an Octavia which, even though it may be a CBU, has a more powerful engine and probably a better DSG, but is still only an Octavia. Even if I take the full OTR value of the discontinued model, the price difference of 14L is just too much for these additional specs.

The company needs to bring the price down by at least 5L otherwise they will continue to bite the dust from the 330i which definitely seems to offer far more value even though it misses out on some of the features of the M sport.
Old 5th September 2020, 19:41   #268
BHPian

45 Lakhs for an Octavia (vRS)

Skoda is getting too greedy with vRS demand from previous years. Audi A3 (heck even A4 is just few lakhs away) and 330i GT (with its stock clearance price) has more snob value for sure.
Skoda was always known to offer 'more car for money', (Superb is an awesome example) and vRS seems odd one out with its pricing strategy.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:35   #269
BHPian

I feel best way to enjoy VRS245 is pre-owned route. IMHO.

I am waiting for them with bated breadth to trickle in the pre owned market in few years. Especially the Green Ones!
AMG1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:56   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
I feel best way to enjoy VRS245 is pre-owned route. IMHO.

I am waiting for them with bated breadth to trickle in the pre owned market in few years. Especially the Green Ones!
At-least in Kerala, VRS doesn't have any depreciation. One example below:
https://www.olx.in/item/skoda-octavi...iid-1550488120

Its true that all these VRS's are modded, but cost of the modification cannot be expected in resale.

Most Viewed