Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 10:58   #31

re: Skoda Octavia RS 245 confirmed for India. Edit: Launched @ 36 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
Any idea whether this will come with the mandatory speed alert system of single beep at 80 Kmph and continuous beeps after 120 Kmph?
but is there a way where we can stop the beeps? It has become very distracting on long highway runs in our 530i, and we've gone back to using the F10 520d / Endeavour.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The Diesel RS in the UK can be had with a 4x4 all wheel drive system.
Will the incoming petrol be also having an all wheel drive setup?
No chance at all. Skoda has globally never integrated the Octavia vRS petrols with the Haldex 4x4. The combination itself does not exist.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 16:44. Reason: As requested.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
can we have all the existing owners of VRS list their steeds in team-bhp classified - wishful thinking yeah
Hahaha bang on point! More 1.8 TSI on sale as well maybe? Perfect time to pick up one!
Old 4th December 2019, 11:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty sure these 200 units will get sold pretty quickly unlike what happened to the Polo GTI. The Polo GTI (initial price) had the problem of costing nearly 4x the base Polo model unlike the VRS, which I believe will come at around 1.5x to 2.0x compared to the base Octavia models. Another thing to note is that for the target audience there is no other option in the vicinity of this price range for this kind of package that combines performance, utility and style. The new 330i is quite a lot more expensive and with the 1.8 TSI slated to go away, the VRS 245 is very well placed to sell like hot cakes!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th December 2019 at 11:20.
Santoshbhat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Pretty sure these 200 units will get sold pretty quickly unlike what happened to the Polo GTI.

Another thing to note is that for the target audience there is no other option in the vicinity of this price range for this kind of package that combines performance, utility and style.

The new 330i is quite a lot more expensive and with the 1.8 TSI slated to go away, the VRS 245 is very well placed to sell like hot cakes!
Agree! The RS245 is rumoured to be 36L ex-showroom while the 330i is priced at 48L with no discounts. At least in Bangalore with ~20% RTO charges + cess etc, the RS will come to ~43L and the 330i at ~58L .

With a 15L delta, the RS will still be a steal; resale (early M800 type) is guaranteed too

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th December 2019 at 11:51.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:48   #36
BHPian

Is the idea basically to clear the kits/stocks of the existing RS since the next generation has already been unveiled and will certainly launch in EU countries before in India.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroZL1 View Post
but is there a way where we can stop the beeps? It has become very distracting on long highway runs in our 530i, and we've gone back to using the F10 520d / Endeavour.
Driving below the stipulated speed limits is a sure shot way
Vysakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 11:53   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The new 330i is quite a lot more expensive and with the 1.8 TSI slated to go away, the VRS 245 is very well placed to sell like hot cakes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
At least in Bangalore with ~20% RTO charges + cess etc, the RS will come to ~44L and the 330i at ~58L .

The RS will still be a steal and resale is guaranteed too.
Good points!

But look at it this way, a vRS at 35 lakh on the road would have been a no-brainer. Even at 40, it would have been good.

But it's slated to be 45 lakh on the road Bengaluru. In fact, I feel it may be closer to 50, with all warranty packages and rounding off the taxes etc. This puts it a lot closer to the 330i. And when someone's looking to spend nearly 50 lakh, the BMW will definitely appear to be the tastier prospect between the two cars.
suhaas307 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 12:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Good points!

But look at it this way, a vRS at 35 lakh on the road would have been a no-brainer. Even at 40, it would have been good.

But it's slated to be 45 lakh on the road Bengaluru. In fact, I feel it may be closer to 50, with all warranty packages and rounding off the taxes etc. This puts it a lot closer to the 330i. And when someone's looking to spend nearly 50 lakh, the BMW will definitely appear to be the tastier prospect between the two cars.
I hope it's not the same guys who were in charge of importing and selling the GTI. They need to a min price delta of 15L between the RS and the 330i, otherwise all they'll end up doing is making the bimmer look VFM . 'CBU' and 'only 200 units' doesn't sound very encouraging though.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th December 2019 at 12:10.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 13:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Possibly the adaptive dampers too. Only time will tell if that made the cut.
The international version does have adaptive dampers.
Old 4th December 2019, 13:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
The international version does have adaptive dampers.
Skoda has a bewildering variant line-up in the EU & UK. Purely for comparison purposes, if we look at the UK market:

DCC is not standard on the vanilla vRS245 in the UK RHD market at least - It's usually available as a GBP 850 option. However, it is standard on the top-end 245 Challenge.

Refer screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia RS 245 confirmed for India. Edit: Launched @ 36 lakhs-clipboard01.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th December 2019 at 13:44.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 15:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No chance at all. Skoda has globally never integrated the Octavia petrols with the Haldex 4x4. The combination itself does not exist.
Are you sure? Skoda sells 2.0TSI 4x4 versions of the Octavia, Superb, Karoq and Kodiaq here. But, I am not sure if it's a Haldex system.
Old 4th December 2019, 16:26   #43
BHPian

Why CBU for vRS 245 - Octavia Petrol 4x4 combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
1. Electronic LSD
2. 7 speed DQ380
3. Redesigned exhaust for better sound and lower back pressure
4. Bigger brake discs
Didn't the 230PS vRS sold in India already had VAQ (electronically actuated/controlled LSD)? The bigger brakes (340mm front) was definitely there. Our official review says only 272mm rear, but I am not sure about it and if rears were 310mm.
So #1 and #2 perhaps may not be all new for vRS 245 in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
As mentioned above this will be a CBU ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The most interesting addition to the CBU model …..
I am not clear on what is the business case for selling this variant of the vRS as CBU, when the 230PS was already CKD.

From homologation point of view, this isn't an all new car. Yes there is a new gearbox, but the base engine is already certified in India for RS230 and maybe through the different Audi models (that use it in longitudinal application). It is in a different state of tune with minor hardware changes. The body panels and key trims are completely shared with regular Octavia which has CKD operations already. So in my limited understanding of the matter, there isn't a need of full homologation (only the equivalent to certify emissions and fuel efficiency as per BS6 requirements and test cycles). Experts on homologation and certification, please feel free to chip and correct me

For Polo GTI, it was quite different. A different body shell, an engine not used in the Polo lineup in India (1.8TSI), structural difference between locally manufactured Polo with that of the Euro versions etc. They were also disposing the 3-door versions which weren't exactly selling as hot cakes in EU. It made more sense to bring the vehicle as CBU than to do a CKD operation, thought the car had to be homologated in India.

Quote:
No chance at all. Skoda has globally never integrated the Octavia petrols with the Haldex 4x4. The combination itself does not exist.
There are/were some excellent 4x4 variants of Petrol powered Octavia in the past.
  • Octavia Mk1: 1.8T 4x4 (150PS) --> my favourite car. With a remap it was far more capable than the vRS (180PS) and it shared drivetrain/chassis layout with the Audi S3 / Golf R32 back then.
  • Octavia Mk2 Pre-FL: 2.0FSI 4x4 (NA engine, 150PS) --> Average motor
  • Octavia Mk2 FL: 1.8TSI 4x4 (160PS). Laura in India. Available only in estate shape to my knowledge and only with MT. There was the regular variant as well as the "Scout" version. Unlike FWD 1.8TSI it had MQ350 gearbox (same as diesel / 2.0TSI vRS). With relevant mods, a much more capable car than the FWD vRS petrol.
  • Octavia Mk3: 1.8TSI 4x4 (180PS) - If I recall correctly only in Estate shape. Regular and Scout versions. Only paired with DQ250 DSG.

It is indeed true that the vRS Petrol versions never had a 4x4 drivetrain. But in every generation of the Octavia, 1.8 turbo petrol with 4x4 was the hidden gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Are you sure? Skoda sells 2.0TSI 4x4 versions of the Octavia, Superb, Karoq and Kodiaq here. But, I am not sure if it's a Haldex system.
2.0TSI with 4x4 is a new addition to the Octavia line-up since the Euro-6d norms started to kick in across Europe (WLTP, RDE, reduced conformity factor for RDE vs Lab results, Stricter EVAP rules etc).
Basically 1.8TSI has been replaced completely across EU and 2.0TSI (190PS tune) takes its place. And yes every VAG car with front-transverse engine + four-wheel drive layout uses a Haldex system (5th gen to be specific), though branded differently (4motion for VW, 4x4 for Skoda, Quattro for Audi etc).

Cheers,
Avinash

Last edited by avinash_clt : 4th December 2019 at 16:55. Reason: Added response, clarifications, correction on Polo GTI homolgation and changed title
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 16:29   #44
BHPian

The last time I was in the market, the RS got sold out and I got myself the trusty Elantra. I would have really loved to add this to the garage but just 2 years with the Elantra will never get justified at the home minister's end.

The RS 245 is the stuff what dreams are made of!! (dreams..but not exorbitant dreams ;-))
docprashant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

I think with this asking price a Mini Cooper S base model at ₹ 29.99L (ex-showroom) looks like a steal and a perfect recreational package compared to the Skoda Octavia vRS!
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks