Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 17:25   #46
BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia RS 245 confirmed for India. Edit: Launched @ 36 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think with this asking price a Mini Cooper S base model at ₹ 29.99L (ex-showroom) looks like a steal and a perfect recreational package compared to the Skoda Octavia vRS!
Isn't that the D which is 29.99? I just checked and the cheapest S is at 34.2L, which will probably be bare bones as compared to the RS.
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Isn't that the D which is 29.99? I just checked and the cheapest S is at 34.2L, which will probably be bare bones as compared to the RS.
Yep it's Cooper D! Sorry!
Old 4th December 2019, 19:06   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroZL1 View Post
but is there a way where we can stop the beeps? It has become very distracting on long highway runs in our 530i, and we've gone back to using the F10 520d / Endeavour.
I can totally understand your situation, even though I have not been in an annoying (beeping) car.

Having myself driven an E90 328i - will always want to floor the pedal, and I am sure many will be wondering why they need in excess of 200 Horses, only to put 100 of them to sleep, given this ridiculous mandate.

I am hoping against hope that CBU units will somehow by-pass this requirement.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 19:10.
Old 4th December 2019, 20:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:
but is there a way where we can stop the beeps? It has become very distracting on long highway runs in our 530i, and we've gone back to using the F10 520d / Endeavour.
You can disable it by getting it coded from someone reputable and who has coded a BMW before.

Alhough it's very unlikely for BMW India and the insurance company to reject a warranty /insurance claim stating that " some tampering has been done through the OBD port" , it's still something worth keeping in mind.
Old 4th December 2019, 21:31   #50
BHPian

Quote:
There is. I drive a 530i too and you can turn it off from Vehicle settings if I remember correctly. PM me if you’re not able to figure it out.
Old 4th December 2019, 23:58   #51
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why CBU for vRS 245 - Octavia Petrol 4x4 combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I am not clear on what is the business case for selling this variant of the vRS as CBU, when the 230PS was already CKD.

From homologation point of view, this isn't an all new car.

Cheers,
Avinash
Well, to be honest I'm no expert on homologation either. But if I remember correctly, Skoda's reasoning for bringing the vRS via the CBU route was to avoid expenses they would have to incur towards homologation.

When the first batch of the vRS was brought to the country, Skoda had invested certain amounts towards homologation. But the demand took them by surprise and they brought another batch of cars shortly after. And as soon as stock was exhausted, production of the vRS 230 in the EU came to an end, and only the vRS 245 was sold. Again, Skoda had no plans of bringing the 245 here, but when the demand for it was noticed again, Skoda decided to bring another batch. However, I don't think they wanted to bear the expenditure towards homologation again.

I reiterate, I do not know the nuances of homologation. But let's face it, it's a reality for the manufacturer and if it's something that had to be done, it had to be done, period. Notwithstanding the fact that the engine (and the car, largely) is essentially the same, with just a tune and some other mechanical changes.

If you think about it, homologating afresh would not have made business sense to them at all.

They know that 200 or even 300 units would sell, whether at CBU price or at SKD price. In fact, if you look at the demand for it, they knew that if not within a week, they would sell all units in a few months tops! So why bother with homologation when you can bring it to the country as a CBU, pass on the cost to the customer - who would happy pay for it might I add, and make a little profit on them along the way. It's almost like a win-win.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th December 2019 at 23:59.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 03:04   #52
BHPian

It's a fantastic car. And like GTO pointed out in an earlier post a Giant Killer. However at 36 lakhs ex-showroom I am unsure. Yes, it's definitely a classic down the line but spending around 45 lakhs on a SKODA ? The soul shivers.
motorotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 06:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
It is indeed true that the vRS Petrol versions never had a 4x4 drivetrain. But in every generation of the Octavia, 1.8 turbo petrol with 4x4 was the hidden gem.

Cheers,
Avinash
Thank you Avinash for the detailed clarification! I had indeed meant petrol vRS + the Haldex 4x4 combo which has now been corrected by the Mods in my original post.

Any thoughts why Skoda doesn't create this last remaining combo? Is it because the ~50 extra horses will be somewhat negated by the ~80 kg 4x4 weight thereby depreciating the vRS badge? I would have thought it would easily as fast as the FWD, because of the added traction from the Haldex sending upto 50% power to the rears.

Could be simple market dynamics of course with 4x4 Octavia buyers (~4% of UK Octavia sales) preferring the diesel 4x4s over a petrol 4x4.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th December 2019 at 06:43.
Old 5th December 2019, 18:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any thoughts why Skoda doesn't create this last remaining combo? Is it because the ~50 extra horses will be somewhat negated by the ~80 kg 4x4 weight thereby depreciating the vRS badge? I would have thought it would easily as fast as the FWD, because of the added traction from the Haldex sending upto 50% power to the rears.
I'm damn sure the reason is because the Octavia 245 RS with 4x4 would be faster than the Golf GTI, which is a strict no-no for Volkswagen

I would think that 4x4 would easily shave at least 1 second off of the 0-100 timing.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 19:05   #55
BHPian

If there was one vehicle's Indian launch which brings a huge smile on my face, its this one. I have been a big fan of the vRS right from the first launch in our shores and that badge is a part of all of my email ids and log ins till this date. Infact, all of my profile names were vrs123 until it changed to vj123 after the better half came in.

Quote:
Any thoughts why Skoda doesn't create this last remaining combo? Is it because the ~50 extra horses will be somewhat negated by the ~80 kg 4x4 weight thereby depreciating the vRS badge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I'm damn sure the reason is because the Octavia 245 RS with 4x4 would be faster than the Golf GTI, which is a strict no-no for Volkswagen

I would think that 4x4 would easily shave at least 1 second off of the 0-100 timing.
I think it might be because of the history associated with these models and fun factor.

Let consider Golf GTI and R. AWD will get better traction from stand still but i know several plenty of people who still prefer GTI due to the fun factor involved.

Below are 0-60 mph timing for 2019 models.
GTI - 5.7s
R - 4.5s

R has 60 more hp than a GTI and comes with summer tires from the factory. Grand touring all seasons tires on GTIs from the factory are one of the worst i have ever driven on a performance vehicle and it would lose traction when floored from standstill. Still the difference in 0-60s between these models is just 1.2s.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th December 2019 at 13:04. Reason: Spacing
Old 9th December 2019, 12:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Octavia RS 245 :

Skoda Octavia RS 245 confirmed for India. Edit: Launched @ 36 lakhs-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 2758
Size:  39.9 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th December 2019 at 12:43.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Really really wonder how they are going to allott these 200 cars. I am SURE they have already been oversubscribed like a Coal India IPO
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 14:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Really really wonder how they are going to allott these 200 cars. I am SURE they have already been oversubscribed like a Coal India IPO
Mostly the first 200 people who registered on the form the created few days ago is what I'm thinking.
Old 9th December 2019, 15:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
Mostly the first 200 people who registered on the form the created few days ago is what I'm thinking.
What if we re register our interest multiple times?
Old 9th December 2019, 16:35   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy17 View Post
What if we re register our interest multiple times?
Think your point is covered in his tweet

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2554
Size:  32.3 KB
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks